ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project S13

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I've argued with the garage this morning, but because I cant prove it didnt go into the garage without any oil in it and like a few have said you shouldnt drain the oil out for a turbo swap they wont accept responsibility for it :( I'm on the hunt now for a new CA but I really really dont have any money for a couple of months. I'm absolutely f*cked. :( DO NOT GO TO WELLINGTON GARAGE OR MSL IF YOUR IN THE NW, THEY WILL DESTROY YOUR ENGINE THEN LEAVE YOU WITH THE BILLS.

Its not just your hearing chris, it has a misfire and a nasty rattle :(

Mustang, S13, AX GT
The rattle could also be some of the old turbo in the exhaust but I'm not entirely sure...

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Bottom end rattle tends to sound like the top end tbh. Whip the rocker cover off, check for score marks on the cams..

To be honest, i suspect its dead. You do lose a bit of oil on a tubby change but feck all to be honest.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I'm fairly certain its dead. I just cant decide what to do about it. I can get a rebuilt engine for £500 with 12month guarantee so I might save some pennies and do that, it saves all the f*cking around spending money trying to find the fault. It looks like Project S13 is off the road for a couple of months again :( I think its time to get another car and then I can just leave Project S13 off the road until I've finished doing what I want to it...

Mustang, S13, AX GT
RB25, He's cheating ;)

Inspiration = 705whp on CA18DET:
[youtube]ZD5wP56XpiM[/youtube]

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Just listened to your vid mate. Sounds like the bottom end is McFucked! If you want to salvage anyting, dont start it again..

Mustang, S13, AX GT
:( I'm thinking I might have a look around for an S13 with some rot or something on the cheap so I can pinch the motor and a few other bits mine needs at the moment. The strangest thing is, tonight I've just been down to Asda (about 2 miles). I put in £20 of fuel as its been low since getting it back ie just above the line. Its running rich but isn't misfiring now :S

Mustang, S13, AX GT
The rattle is coming from the front pipe of the exhaust, I think there may be a blade or 2 in there from when the turbo went.

The decision is that Project S13 is probably getting parked up pending the result of me putting in a finance app for a new car. If the new car comes through then what I think I might do is leave this project for a few months then start buying some parts, and eventually get an engine stand and have a go at rebuilding it myself with a few uprated choice parts and I can aim for some decent horsepowers. One of the things I definately want is a top mount and probably see if I can get the T28 sent off for roller bearings etc etc. Also maybe some uprated internals and I think I'll aim for somewhere between 350-400hp. This is gonna be a long long process as I'll be on a tight budget as usual, so for now the project is laid to rest, Await thread/project revival in a few months. Sorry guys, but my head says this is probably the right idea lol.

ITB'd MK1
I'm fairly certain its dead. I just cant decide what to do about it. I can get a rebuilt engine for £500 with 12month guarantee so I might save some pennies and do that, it saves all the f*cking around spending money trying to find the fault. It looks like Project S13 is off the road for a couple of months again :( I think its time to get another car and then I can just leave Project S13 off the road until I've finished doing what I want to it...

The parts to do it properly cost more than that. Gasket set (only ever use genuine) and an oil pump (never re-use an old one!!!!!!) is nearly £300 alone. bearings, rings, machining and cleaning add up to well over £700, and that's without assembly and fitting. You also need a proper oil feed for the turbo. The soild metal feeds block up and kill turbos

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Sell out.
pft, 40 mile motorway commute everyday I need a working car... S13 can be made faster, better, stronger than he ever was before.

The parts to do it properly cost more than that. Gasket set (only ever use genuine) and an oil pump (never re-use an old one!!!!!!) is nearly £300 alone. bearings, rings, machining and cleaning add up to well over £700, and that's without assembly and fitting. You also need a proper oil feed for the turbo. The soild metal feeds block up and kill turbos
If thats the case, maybe it was worth buying the engine. If its warrantied for a year it must be a half decent job? It doesn't matter now anyway like I said its getting retired for a little while.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
There are quite a few SX knowledgable people on here so I figured I would ask here before I start saving my pennies...

How much work would be involved in putting in a 1UZFE engine? Is there a manual gearbox that'll fit onto the 1UZFE? Again will that fit in my car or will a lot of work have to be done to make it fit. What will I have to do about the exhaust to get that to fit onto my existing cat back? Ta

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i wouldnt... if you are looking at doing a conversion go 1jz or 2jz... they are stupidly strong and manual boxes are pretty easy to get for them...

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I want to get rid of the turbo but still have some power, and V8s always have been my fav engine so its getting a V8 one way or the other. The 1UZ has been used before as a conversion. rover/land rover V8s are pish. American V8s are expensive. BMW V8s I question the cheap ones and Jag V8s are again a bit expensive. 1UZ is looking like a winner at the moment for me.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
^AT Power do some bodies for it at £1750, takes it to around 400hp. I've looked, I want haha.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
not impressed... sorry

im pretty sure u said no to a rb conversion or 2jz conversion as you didnt like the way it unballanced the car??

so you are gonna stick a massive heavy v8 in it?

if you gotta go v8 stick a ls1 in it lol

Mustang, S13, AX GT
lol, this is true. in retrospect maybe I should have said I cba with a conversion for as long as I have a working CA and dont see any S13 with a V8 in it heh. LS1 is expensive. I've just bought a 172 so Iv got a car to do twistys with so Im very seriously considering the 1UZ, as a 1UZ is still cheaper than another CA lol!

Mustang, S13, AX GT
After going out in Brens V8 S14a and hearing from his driver Tim Webster what difference to the weight and balance an LS2 made I'm 100% going for a 1UZFE. Brens car was corner weighted with a distribution of 57/43 thats using a 6litre american V8. I've been looking into the weights of the engines to make sure that I'm not going to end up with a horribly balance heavy fronted car, and it looks promising :D The weights of both engine I have so far, its 486lbs for 1UZFE with the R154 gearbox and the CA18DET is around 380lbs including gearbox. Thats a difference of 106lbs, so around 48kg. I would say this about balances with the stripped interior so it should weigh about the same as a standard S13. The big issue is making sure there isn't a huge shift in the balance, brens weight balance with the LS2 is good but he uses it as a daily driver and spare time attack car so its got full cage in it aswell as full interior etc. I'm gonna start saving my money up now, and hopefully come summer '10 you'll see this thread resurrected with some advances being made...

Mustang, S13, AX GT
^Scroll to the end, he's given up and put the engine on ebay... I cant afford a viper engine lol.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
All about costs, an LS400 can be picked up for less than £900 in full working order, take the engine and break the car it should break even. Manual gearbox from a Supra. Aftermarket ECU and a couple of fabricated bits and pieces and I have a V8 conversion for a small amount.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I'm guessing around £2-2.5k for parts this is based on prices of the actual parts and guestimating the cost of any fabricated parts. This will probably wind up doubling as most project budgets do but if thats right then it works out really well as that would be around 300hp so would still be cheaper than reliably drawing the same from a CA18. If the weights are accurate then thats well worthwile.

ITB'd MK1
I'm guessing around £2-2.5k for parts this is based on prices of the actual parts and guestimating the cost of any fabricated parts. This will probably wind up doubling as most project budgets do but if thats right then it works out really well as that would be around 300hp so would still be cheaper than reliably drawing the same from a CA18. If the weights are accurate then thats well worthwile.

but the huge downside you're missing is you'll still have a second-hand engine after all that time and money. I can't see it happening for under £6k

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Hmmm, I guess we'll have to see. The downside is it'll be a used engine but the upside is it'll be an n/a toyota engine so it should be reliable. It will be more reliable than my CA18 is and than the reports of CA18s on SXOC so imo well worth it. The biggest cost will be the fabricated parts and fitting as theres no way I can do it. I'll be getting quotes sometime next year from a couple of places that may be able to do it for me near here.