ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project S13

Mustang, S13, AX GT
The fcuking things started smoking again. Does any-one have any links to good sx owners clubs? Everytime I ask about the one way valve trick on sxoc im either ignored or told to search for it, which is useless because the search just brings up hundreds of threads askin about it :(

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
which one way valve trick?? pm sideways danny on here, he knows everything about s13's lol...

only other places would be driftworks, or zilvia forums...

Mustang, S13, AX GT
One way valve in the breather pipes to stop it from smoking is about the jist of it lol. I've already asked Dan for help on so much heh, he should probably start charging me soon...

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Fcuking cnuting stupid expensive crappy loveable yet hated car....

Driving onto the motorway on the way home and down the sliproad I have some focus TDI driving at me... I floor it, only to be greated with bang, smoke, rattle, smooooooooooooke, limp home. I think the turbo's well and truly f*cked :( I buy something nice for S13 instead of pikeying bits together and the fcuking thing blows up. I'm now on the hunt for a GT28R atleast theres no chance I'm buying another used T25. I'm now left completely car-less until the S13s fixed because I'm not insured on Dadmobile anymore either now.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
No more pics unfortunately. The wheels aren't on the car until the overfenders are on and painted so they are locked up for now. I'll get some pics when they are fitted properly etc dont worry ;)

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Please mate, I'm asking turbo dynamics about a recon'd turbo now I think. Im gonna ask about a T28 as then I can work for a bit more power aswell I guess.

Tucker, is was more pop rattle rattle lol

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
mate thats gutting! i just gave away a good s14 t28 also!

u sure its just the turbo??

if you were closer i would come give u a hand but manc is 200 miles away lol

Mustang, S13, AX GT
100% certain its the turbo yeah. Its a fcuking nightmare trying to get one on short notice, the best price I've got so far is £300+VAT :(

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Todays been a pretty busy day, and yet looking back very little seems different on the car...

To start with, I decided to get the T28 from Just Nissan so I went in at 12 and grabbed it, it was complete with manifold, turbo elbow, actuator etc etc it even had some of the downpipe. Excellent, however with everything on I couldn't actually check the turbo itself so I agreed to take it aslong as I could bring it back if it was f*cked... I got home and took the elbow off to find around 5mm of play in the shaft, minty mint? So back to the breakers to find a new turbo.

The bloke was 1 of the mechanics and not the guy who ran the place and was in alone so he had no idea where the mint turbo was, and advised that I wait for the boss who is back at 1pm. It was only 12.30 so fair enough I can wait... 1.30 comes by and the boss isnt back so the mechanic starts looking around, and returns with a T25. 2ish and he phones the boss who says its still on an S14. Ace, progress. Over he goes to start taking it off. An 1hr,15mins later after much swearing and use of an entire socket set, a crow bar, a small hammer, a large hammer, a sledge hammer, chisels, pliers and a large cutter normally used on paving flags aswell as me prying the exhaust off from underneath and the T28s off with half the manifold still attached and a few hoses cut in half. Ok, whatever its been nearly 3 hours!! take off the elbow and check it, no play in the shaft and the blades spin freely. Winner! I asked for the decent manifold etc and just got given both and told to bring back the f*cked stuff... So home, dismantled and put in a box ready to be fitted on Monday:
DSCF0315.jpg

If anyone can tell me what I need to do to modify anything to fit the S13 tonight that'd be great as its all going to the garage on Monday.

Next, and this isn't photo'd (sorry) I fixed the front up and did a proper paint job of the nose. sanded it down a bit, filler primer for the less than super smoothness of the filler I'd done previously, remove indicators and mask grills, red primer, blend paint across the nose, remove masking, put back together and done. I'll get some photo's maybe tomorrow.

Next up, my overfenders have arrived!!! The rear fenders seem like they will be perfectly good, they more or less fit and will be perfect with a little bit of fibreglass/filler to get it sat flush to the rear quarter... The fronts could be interesting however. The front wings have a lot of curve to them so the overfender just will not sit flush to the wing at all. I genuinely dont know how I'm going to sort it, so for today I gave up..

First thing was to make sure that the overfenders will cover over the wheels, so I velcro'd them to the rear quarter and stuck the wheel on (wrong way round again just for your guys). Just to be clear, these are 50mm overfenders:
DSCF0310.jpg

DSCF0313.jpg

DSCF0312.jpg

DSCF0311.jpg

woop, they fit just about :D Ok so the next job was to line the fender up properly, double side tape to hold it in place and for now, until I'm happy with it, screw it in place. This will be changed to rivets at a later date. Tea was out so I had that then decided to highlight how much dish the wheels have ;)
2009-08-22180948.jpg

and finally with it screwed on I decided to splash some paint on it, which meant put the standard wheel back on, red primer and then some colour. This was the end of my day, and to highlight the difference between stock wheel and wide with -19 offset, look at how stupid it looks with the standard wheel back in place ;)
DSCF0314.jpg

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Rears finished, front fenders screwed on but they need a lot of fibreglass to get them to fit and then painting so I'll fix all that 1st hopefully tomorrow/Tuesday then stick on the front wheels...
The stance from the rear is completely different though, the car needs some power now to compliment the looks :D
DSCF0316.jpg

DSCF0317.jpg

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
needs lowering too lol! i didnt think the sr20 mani would fit on the ca?

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I dont think it will... But this has recommended by Just Nissan who says he's done it on a few. I'll chuck everything in and print off the guide from SXOC aswell and see what the garage make of it all.

Also, I'm well aware of the land rover ride height at the moment, however for now it'll have to stay until I've got some money to lower it. Its at the very top of my list dont worry

Mustang, S13, AX GT
It'll be shown up by all the lovely clios surrounding it at Trax :( PS, the arch gap is actually pretty good, if it goes much more than 40mm it'll be sat on the tyre completely, side profile looks pretty good I'll get a snap tomorrow

ITB'd MK1
Oh god, f**king t28 conversion....right

sr20 manifold wont fit, s14/a elbow is no good to you.

Core of the turbo needs rotating to line up the feeds and drain. s13 exhaust elbow needs 1 hole slotting to line up a bolt hole. Get a braided oil feed (hose solutions), Stock solid ones are well known for blocking, and as you've killed a couple of turbos already.......

Inlet needs a straight stub pipe to fit the stock hose, or use the s14 one but be prepared to modify the hose from the AFM/filter. Compressor outlet you'll need the s14 elbow, or have to chop and change the boost hoses about quite a bit. Actuator feed, for simlicity there's a small vacuum nipple on the underside of the throttle body, run a small bore hose to it. Think that's it (in very abridged form) There's a very detailed guide on SXOC by Turbo pete.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i f**king hate cars, i took my rex apart today and snapped a boost solenoid nipple off... its stupid money for a new one!!! hopefully dragon have one and will get it out to me for tuesday i also need a new air temp sensor! and a blanking plate for removing one of the valves but i cant get one of the nuts... plus i need to remove the y pipe and the rear turbo pipe to replace with polished pipes... but its sooo much effort lol!

Mustang, S13, AX GT
i f**king hate cars, i took my rex apart today and snapped a boost solenoid nipple off... its stupid money for a new one!!! hopefully dragon have one and will get it out to me for tuesday i also need a new air temp sensor! and a blanking plate for removing one of the valves but i cant get one of the nuts... plus i need to remove the y pipe and the rear turbo pipe to replace with polished pipes... but its sooo much effort lol!
God I'd love a rex, but can you imagine how I'd ruin that if I had one heh...

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Oh god, f**king t28 conversion....right

sr20 manifold wont fit, s14/a elbow is no good to you.

Core of the turbo needs rotating to line up the feeds and drain. s13 exhaust elbow needs 1 hole slotting to line up a bolt hole. Get a braided oil feed (hose solutions), Stock solid ones are well known for blocking, and as you've killed a couple of turbos already.......

Inlet needs a straight stub pipe to fit the stock hose, or use the s14 one but be prepared to modify the hose from the AFM/filter. Compressor outlet you'll need the s14 elbow, or have to chop and change the boost hoses about quite a bit. Actuator feed, for simlicity there's a small vacuum nipple on the underside of the throttle body, run a small bore hose to it. Think that's it (in very abridged form) There's a very detailed guide on SXOC by Turbo pete.
OK, after printing off the above quote and taking it into the garage on Monday the 24th of August, I still dont have my car back!! I wont slate the garage I took it to (yet) because in the past they have been brilliant but I've only had bodywork done there before.

I dropped it in on Monday with all the parts needed and a couple of extra bits aswell. They said it would be done on the day, then later that day I rang in and the mechanic said that he is yet to start on it and it will be done Tuesday morning.

Tuesday morning comes and he rings me to say he's at a funeral he'll do it in the afternoon, Tuesday afternoon comes I ring in to be told that the mechanic will give me a call back soon. No phone call back, me in a bad mood.

Wednesday morning, I call in and its in progress but its a lot of work, the pipes and lines dont all match up... I explain that I had already told him about this and provided a brief instruction on what needs doing. He'll crack on he says he just needs to move the oil feed and water pipes? It'll be done today...

Thursday morning, I phone up again as my car isn't sorted, and the mechanics out on a road test he'll call back when he's back, no call back so Thursday afternoon I call in and apparently the manifolds blowing because a couple of manifold studs are missing and bolts have been used instead? He's waiting for studs to come, it'll be done tomorrow.

Friday morning, utterly f*cked off I go into the garage to be shown the turbo on the S13 manifold on the side, the engine in bits and the shop manager shows me the missing studs, it'll be done today for me...

Saturday morning, I go into the garage again and speak to the mechanic working on it, he's doing it for me it just needs putting back together, can I give him until Monday to do it? I agree provided its 100% done and the fuel pump and boost controller get fitted by him aswell. He asks me to source the head studs as he cant???

Monday, no contact from the mechanic I ring the garage, he's not in today. I ring his mobile and his girlfriend answers and he's not going in today :mad:.

Tuesday morning, I go into the garage and the mechanic has gone off sick, he has a hernia because he was the only mechanic in for 2 weeks and he's worked himself sick, great whats happening with my car. The shop manager tells me he will get the mechanic in to finish my car.

Yesterday, the mechanic has taken the week off sick, so the shop manager is loading my car up and sending it to a different garage to get it done for me.

Today, I phone in this morning and the shop manager is about to ring the garage, he'll call me back in 10. No call back so an hour later I ring back, the receptionist tells me he's just in the shop she'll get him to call me back. OK, I leave my number again. Another hour, no call back so I call the garage again. The receptionist says that he's working on a car in the garage, she'll get him to call me back.. About 10 minutes and hurrah he calls me back, to explain that this other garage are having some oil/water feeds fabricated and once they have got these back from a machine shop the car will be finished and I just need to pay this other garage what they ask for!!!

So, customer fabricated lines = £cost?
Labour = £50+ per hour
Parts that I have supplied and have gone missing = £?
Head studs = £10ish
Gasket? = £20ish

I dont think its unreasonable for me to kick up a big fuss at this point and refuse to pay labour on this absolute run around. I'm not sure I should really be paying for fabricated parts when they shouldn't be needed and the garage was advised that I can get a comprehensive guide if Dannys post isn't good enough. Also, its taken them 2 weeks to do a job that at the most should have been a full days work, and I'm guessing when I get it back the fuel pump and boost valve wont be fitted either.

To say I'm in a bad mood, would be a complete understatement I want my f*cking car back!!! I still need some time to finish off the over fenders and fit the front wheels...

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
sorry to say it mate but this is why i dont let garages work on my car unless its completely needed...

they have taken the piss i would kick up a massive fuss!

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I'm about as mechanically minded as a fish, I normally stick to one of 2 garages who I trust 100% but they were fully booked, so I thought I'd try this place because the original price was ok and they've been absolute stars when I've needed bodywork before. They are predominantly a bodyshop though and the mechanic is an independant who rents a ramp in there. I wont be straying from the 2 trusted places again thats for sure.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Dont want the extra front end weight ;) I want this one to handle, trackdays next year ftw.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Fair do's. I went a Rb'd S13 and it was amazing. Didnt feel silly front end heavy. Still, at least get a SR in there..;)

Mustang, S13, AX GT
CA-SR isn't enough of an upgrade for the work. I'll maybe consider an RB when I've been able to compare the weight differences etc. Even then I still really wanna go with a big power CA18, however having seen the RR graphs and the curve for a 700hp S13 on a CA18DET I'm not sure if more than 3-400hp would be usefull for anything other than drag lol.

Also, there are 2JZ-GTE S13s which looks like a tidy and interesting conversion. The 300ZX TT engine also looks interesting lol. Lots of options...

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
CA/SR swap is fairly easy. Horses for courses though. I'd say it was a big difference. SR is much easier to get big power from. :)

I do like CA's though..but above 300 the SR's where its at. Then again, a SR with a T25g is a mint setup.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
For the longest time I was complaining about the minimal power gain until spending money between an SR and CA considering the SR is a bigger therefore heavier engine. However, I have heard that the SR is an Alloy engine and the CA is Iron so apparently the SR is lighter than a CA? Either way, I like the CA its simples and makes a nice noise when my foots down lol. And at the moment I'm only aiming for around 300whp. If I start looking at say 400+ then an RB may be the ticket, but we'll see.

ITB'd MK1
FFS!!!!! it doesn't need custom lines, it needs the core of the turbo rotating. It's been done HUNDREDS of times, I've done about 50 myself

ITB'd MK1
For the longest time I was complaining about the minimal power gain until spending money between an SR and CA considering the SR is a bigger therefore heavier engine. However, I have heard that the SR is an Alloy engine and the CA is Iron so apparently the SR is lighter than a CA? Either way, I like the CA its simples and makes a nice noise when my foots down lol. And at the moment I'm only aiming for around 300whp. If I start looking at say 400+ then an RB may be the ticket, but we'll see.

nothing in it weight wise at all, literally nothing.

SR exists for the reasons of manufacturing budget, CAs were expensive to make and hark back to the days of cash rich Nissan