ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project S13

Mustang, S13, AX GT
nooooooooo :(
after enjoying motoring about for the last couple of weeks I though it was tiem to properly run the car so I went through some country roads nearby and came back down the motorway, it was all nice and fun with lots of pull from the turbo etc etc.
I pulled into mcdonalds for some dinner and when I set off I noticed a bit of smoke behind me. I stopped at some traffic lights and blue smoke was pouring out :(:( I think its the turbo as the engine is not running rough and theres no back pressure to indicate pistons, and its highly unlikely that the head gasket has gone as not a drop of oil leaking and under the oil cap all is well :(
Its going to RE performance to have a look at both the new and old turbo and to decide if its an easy fix or a rebuilt turbo...

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Hasnt it just had one? Have you got an exhaust? I'd suggest the one way valve trick....;)

Mustang, S13, AX GT
lol, they were eaten not fed to the car ;)
Its the standard exhaust, from looking at the old turbo its in good condition :S no play in the bearing and everything opens and closes as it should. the blades moves freely and theres no oil lying around in places it shouldn't have been going so that might end up going back in and hopefully the problems with it were just because it was drowned in oil.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
If its got a aftermarket exhaust it'll probs be the oil seals due to lack of back pressure. Bet the one way valve trick sorts it. Do a search on SXOC. Its easy. Just put a one way valve in your rocker cover breather.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
its a bit quicker mate, a bit... my car works its just got a james bond style smoke screen that I cant switch off :D

BMW M135i
My mate had this with his S13 after it got the mother of all cainings when we went to japfest, was pissing out blue smoke. Didn't do it on the way home and hasn't done it since, there was a reason behind it apparently but I can't remember what it was.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
well based on symptons it might be the turbo seals. I've just spoken to Turbo Technics who were very very very helpfull and he's suggested to get the car up to running temp, then leave it on idle for about 5 mins and give a sharp foot to the floor rev, if a cloud of blue comes out the turbo seals have gone. Turbo Centre will recon bearings and seals for £100 + VAT so it might not be too bad. I just need to hope its nothing more serious.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
yaay its alive. Its been on rollers etc today and he believes that its just burnt out all of the excess oil. The reason it was so smokey was because I drove it a bit hard and it burnt a lot out at once, winner.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Ummm never heard of that! pmsl
it had 2-3 times as much oil in it when I bought it than it should so it basically flooded any catchment areas aswell as most of the breathin system so its just burning through it. I can only imagine that it burnt through a big chunk on Thursday because its been fine otherwise so it looks good :)

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I have got a stainless steel heat shield for the induction kit as its getting a lot of heat soak but I think a carbon IK may be in order...
DSCF0614.jpg

DSCF0615.jpg

Last edited:
  BMW M135i
Heatsoak? Shouldn't matter with a turbo'd car surely? The turbo is only going to heat it up further when it compresses the air, the intercooler is what then removes the heat.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
^Yeah, it made sense in my head at the time though...

Right, work has restarted on the S13 now so quick update from the last few months:
I put on an Apex Performance exhaust, 3" or 3.5" bore from cat back and soon to be new front pipe with decat
DSC00219.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

DSCF0774.jpg

DSCF0770.jpg

All was good for a few more weeks then smoke started coming out and a lot of it again so back to the garage and the breathing system was taken off and cleaned but this didn't help so MOT expired and I declared the car SORN to start playing about :(
This meant getting a garage to store it so Bolton council kindly offered 1 for £7 per week where it rests until later this year/early next year when Sideways Danny and GDI (hopefully) will be rebuilding the engine and giving it a 'wee bit' more power :)

Anyways, whilst its in the garage I figure i can get the little bits out of the way such as interior and bodywork etc which started earlier today when I started stripping the interior:
DSCF0001.jpg

There appears to be a bit of surface rust so I'll finish stripping it tomorrow and get the rust sanded away to see whats happening. This means that Project S13 is now back on track :D

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Plans for the engine... SR20DET?
sticking with CA18DET, but like said rebuild and some bolt on horses ftw :D

It was too wet for me to bother with the rest of the interior today so we'll see how im doing after british superbikes tomorrow and try get some more work done.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Ok, rear fully stripped. I trying to decide how much more I wanna take out but tbh I think I'll be happy with dash and centre console staying, carpets out and maybe door cards out but I dunno. Anywho, todays progress:
DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

Evo 6, E92 320d
Looks like a load od deadening tar on the boot floor, get that out to saw a bit of weight.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
yep, all to be done later this week I think provided the weather holds out. whats the best way of stripping it? I dont have eleccy at the garage so was thinking scraper and then hammerite when finished.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
yesterday me and a friend took the rest of the interior out, I'm leaving in the dash and will get some daytona's im thinking at some point, heres the pics:
DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

stupid sound deadening glued to floor :(
DSCF0017.jpg

Coming up, cleaning all the messier bits out on the interior eg the sound deadening and stuff and then prepping the roof for paint.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Looking good... although still loads more to come out. As you said, those seats look dead heavy too!

Do these have an LSD as standard? If not, fit one?

Mustang, S13, AX GT
yeah it does have an LSD, the seats pretty heavy but also nice and comfy lol. The back end is going to be quite light I imagine but all part of the fun...

heh...
Vroom!
0_IMAGE_009.jpg

0_IMAGE_010.jpg

K20 EG Hatch
Yeah the later S13's come with an LSD standard as said...

I find my back end is already too arse happy at just stage 2 with all the interior in, 255/18's etc etc so my god, imagine what a 250bhp stripped s13 must be like!

If i'm going on an out an out spirited drive ;) i tend to take my bro to sit in the back as a 2nd passenger for that bit more traction coming out of the bends lol. The extra person makes hardly any noticeable difference at all to performance unlike my previous cars....

Mustang, S13, AX GT
yeah well its going to be running little over 250 i hope so I think it'll be gradual progression in corners rather than just throwing it in lol. It will hopefully see it 1st outing with the new engine on a track anyway so hopefully whatever happens wont be bad or anything...

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
yeah well its going to be running little over 250 i hope so I think it'll be gradual progression in corners rather than just throwing it in lol. It will hopefully see it 1st outing with the new engine on a track anyway so hopefully whatever happens wont be bad or anything...

Better fit some off-road tyres for those occasional trips to the gravel traps. ;)