ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Valerie - Williams #112

Ph1 Williams No: 112
Well here it is, the start of something great!

Bought her almost exactly a year ago from a tiny coastal garage, tucked away in an overgrown back car park. Saw it for the first time and was somewhat lovestruck from the moment of seeing it, not batting an eyelid about the large list of problems; and parted with my cash ready to pick her up the following week.

Many a pestering phonecall and impatient week later, I turned up to pick her up with a full MOT all happy that she was safe.. oh how wrong i was.

first evening back..
DSC01523.jpg

DSC01524.jpg

morning after, before the big garage check..
IMG_8290.jpg

IMG_8299.jpg

IMG_8296edit.jpg

yay slit tyre!
IMG_8297.jpg

:race:

225 Cup & Williams
Sunroof :dapprove:, Looks in pretty good condition though pretty much rust free too from what I can see. What's your plans for it? keeping it standard I hope.

Garage check next day revealed a massive strut crack..
IMG00005-20100901-1959.gif

which was the main problem (bar the badly cut sunroof), cambelt was ready to snap off, the brakes were not existent with clogged brake lines and rusted discs/foobarred pads. The 'reconditioned' cv joint had been fitted by a badly trained monkey, ruining a bearing and what not.

so in she went for some love..
IMG00006-20100901-1959.gif

IMG00007-20100901-2001.gif

IMG00008-20100902-1458.jpg

replacing almost every perishable part, and giving her the full once over mechanically that was desperately needed.. leaving the slaggy looks on the outside.

After being shafted for a magnex system that wasnt worthy of being called scrap, i bought a brand new mongoose system and sourced a decat. (no pics) as the original system was so bashed about and welded it was suffocating the poor girl.
secondedit.jpg

firstedit.jpg

Mcaff and I..
IMG_1733.jpg

and thats pretty much it at the moment. today, started 'phase one' of strippage to make her look a bit more purposeful.
IMG00501-20110619-1730.jpg

IMG00502-20110619-1800.jpg

:D

Sunroof :dapprove:, Looks in pretty good condition though pretty much rust free too from what I can see. What's your plans for it? keeping it standard I hope.

I know :( eventually i will have the funds to replace the roofskin; but in the meantime im just going to rip it out and get some plastic replacement sheet. plan to make it a fast road/track car with light strippage and slight modifications here and there :)

in terms of rust, that will be a problem of roadworthyness in a years time... :(

225 Cup & Williams
Strippage too! nooooo :( standard ftw think what it will be worth in the years to come if it's kept standard.;)

I know! Had a long think about keeping it standard and not touching it but i just cannot help myself. Weighed up the options that shes rather tatty and been through a lot in terms of minor dings and what have you that its just worth me taking good mechanical care and clean up wherever possible.. whilst having a little fun on the track along the way! ;)

Besides, I am keeping every single nut and bolt and part so i can put her back to absolute standard to sell if the time comes, but in reality; i want to be the last owner! :evil:

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
awesome to see your on here now mate, glad to see your stripping it and going to enjoy it.

hopefully be down your way some time this year and have a meet up again.

keep up the good work

cheers fellas :) ..it'll definitely start to take shape over summer now, i'll look after her and invest wisely!

Intended to book my MOT on the friday but couldnt as the starter motor totally gave up, bad times. Took us a while to find out the fault...
IMG00504-20110625-1124.jpg

IMG00505-20110625-1124.jpg

Fitting new one tomorrow and then taking it for her MOT, been told by a few MOT'ers that the rust may be a problem, so wish me luck.

Thanks stu man ;)

well, the starter was drowned with oil and such; did well for the state it was in!
IMG00508-20110627-1957.gif

Williams20V-306BHP
Good luck with the project... rare to see a MK1 on here let alone a Williams 1!!

keep up the good work, if you need a williams roof i have a spare ;)

Good luck with the project... rare to see a MK1 on here let alone a Williams 1!!

keep up the good work, if you need a williams roof i have a spare ;)

Thank you mate :) ..and roof you say? hmm!

rust is the biggest killer of these cars now. Your not alone

Argh tell me about it :(

In regards to MOT, she only failed on a deteriorated brake line and steering rack gaiter.. not the rust which i was worried about! ..sorting that out tomorrow evening then off for a retest. pretty happy considering i was thinking the worst :)

Williams20V-306BHP
yer i bought a shell to rob the rear arches to repair my Williams 1, Bloody rust!!! plus you can only buy 1.2 arch repair pannels but there the wrong shape so you have to mod... orrr you pay 310+vat a side for new renault ones ;)

at the MOT..
IMG00510-20110628-1103.jpg

Went about fixing the faults today and while it was in the garage with tools handy, decided to remove the foglights as one was broken; and also remove the grill bar that has never sat right because of a previous bump it has had in its time.

Woo, wonky grill..
IMG00513-20110630-1733.gif

bits...
IMG00514-20110630-1923.gif

Going to get some air ducts to fill the foglight spaces and tidy up the wires and what have you that the grill used to hide, but personally i think it looks much better. Also, every little bit of weight saving helps! ;) ha.

Thanks guys :)

Well today she went in for her retest and im very happy to say, she passed! Straight after coming back from the MOT station i thought a long overdue wash and another ***** shoot would be a good way to celebrate. Did a massive interior clean the day after strippage so nothing needed to be done there, focused on the outside to bring her up shining once more. So here we have some more pics of my car..

IMG_2173edit.jpg

IMG_2158edit.jpg

IMG_2165edit.jpg

IMG_2170edit.jpg

IMG_2168edit.jpg

IMG_2161edit.jpg

IMG_2166edit.jpg

Now to go for a drive, yezzir.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Just as i convince myself a mk1 is a bad idea i see your car and want one again! Dam you :rasp: you up for a wee weekend sesh down the lakes again?

Ha thanks man, would be good if you got one ;)

I'm seriously up for a lakes meet again man, get the old crew as well as some CS'ers up?

3 series, 172 Cup
Looks absolutly brill mate, was what I wanted for my car (until I seen the insurance :O) but really wish I had one!
The last set of photos show it off well being very VERY mean! Good luck with the project pal!

Looks absolutly brill mate, was what I wanted for my car (until I seen the insurance :O) but really wish I had one!
The last set of photos show it off well being very VERY mean! Good luck with the project pal!

Thank you mate, means alot :)

And so project Valerie comes to an end.. sold her this morning. It's been a memorable 10,000 miles. Hope to see her tot up many more with the new owner!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm going to pick mine up tomorrow. Been sat in a shed for about 7/8 months. Dreading what i'll find down there!