ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project: White-Clio, 172 Conversion + Respray.

Renault Clio 172
As long as you are happy with what you are doing, it doesn't matter what other people think.

It's a project that you are doing for yourself, not for anyone on here. I like the look of all the equipment you are putting in! Looks like you are spending a wedge on that car! You sticking to budget or has that gone out the window? ;)

Hope you are having fun, wish I had the time and money to mess about with my 172!

Good luck mate, can't wait to see it finished.

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
My Budget ;) haha, I'm doing a heck of a lot of overtime at the moment to save up for K-Tec's Turbo conversion, I can safely say I really haven't thought much about a budget or about resale of the car.

Renault Clio 172
My Budget ;) haha, I'm doing a heck of a lot of overtime at the moment to save up for K-Tec's Turbo conversion, I can safely say I really haven't thought much about a budget or about resale of the car.

You don't have to think of the re-sale of the car.
As someone said earlier in the thread, you don't do it to make money, you do it for the fun and satisfaction! Just think when it is finished!

You are going to get it turbo'd at K-Tec? If you don't mind me asking, how much is that? I would love to get my 172 turbo'd! You looked into it much?

Dan

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
You don't have to think of the re-sale of the car.
As someone said earlier in the thread, you don't do it to make money, you do it for the fun and satisfaction! Just think when it is finished!

You are going to get it turbo'd at K-Tec? If you don't mind me asking, how much is that? I would love to get my 172 turbo'd! You looked into it much?

Dan

It entirely depends on who's doing the conversion. If you're competent enough to do it yourself and source some parts elsewhere you could do it for a few ££££, K-tec's start at around £6,100.

http://k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2107

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
See I've often wondered how a Turbo'd 172/182 would fair against a V6 but have feared someone laughing me out of the thread. So I guess I'm asking now what sort of 'class' the 172 Turbo would be in and what sort of cars it would keep up with?

There was a turbo'd 172 with a super 1600 bodykit on it that appeared in max power, was around 300 bhp iirc? May have had a lot of other work done mind.

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
the V6 according to Parkers only weighs in at "1335KG" which is around 200KG's heavier than a 172, it's 230BHP and 6.2s to 60, K-Tec claim ~4seconds to 60 on the Clio 172.

K-Tec also claim around 260Bhp for 9PSI setup and 300BHP from a stage 2 setup.

I priced the stage 2 setup without fitting to ~£5k... Beat's £6K Fitted for stage 1 :p

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Update

Ok so it's coming closer and closer to Christmas and it's far from ideal travelling to work on public transport in sub zero conditions.

I got on the phone to the body shop and gave them a kick up the backside as the car has been there around 4 months now and I'm desperate for it back.

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0201-1.jpg

IMAG0202-1.jpg

Apologies for the Camera quality it really doesn't do the paint work any justice at all.

IMAG02090-1.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
This Morning

I returned back to the body shop to get some parts ordered in and get working on refiting other parts.

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

IMAG0219.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Bootlid

Fitted the camera into the boot lid where the rear wiper used to go.

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

We got fitting and fitted the tailgate and spoiler.

IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

Painted the engine cover white as well

IMAG0232.jpg

Looks a lot different to the clio next to it :rasp:

IMAG0231.jpg

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Not liking the skirts and the crazy molding on the rear quater but looks like a nice project otherwise.

wait and see ;)
my hat goes off to you mate im very impresed, is that the mohave body kit with a 172 rear bumper?

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Not liking the skirts and the crazy molding on the rear quater but looks like a nice project otherwise.

Crazy molding? If you mean the sort of cresent on the rear quarter it's the side skirts themselves but they've just been fully blended to fit the body itself. Thanks for the feedback

my hat goes off to you mate im very impresed, is that the mohave body kit with a 172 rear bumper?

It's the Mohave front, Atmo Sideskirts & 172 rear bumper. Thanks for the hat as well, tastes a bit funny though :rasp:

wait and see ;)
haha ive always been a fan of the mohave kit myself but never actually seen a car in person with it fitted

Chav Rocket
looks good, not my taste but maximum respect for what your doing. look forward to seeing it done

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
LOL @ the front bumper it looks like a snow plough.

Def not a fan of this but can see that the quality is there so maybe it wont look too bad.

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Side skirts look soooooooo much nicer mate!

Love it so far, just burn those wheels though lol :p

Which garage are you using and where is it? And how much do they charge? Cheap/Normal etc.

Would love to come and see this when your done mate, loving it so far!

And i like how you kept the original 1.2 car rather than fixin the sport...nice to see something different

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Youll need to do somthing about the smoothed boot/lack of rear plate and the standard light shining on nothing.

Yeh i wired the light back up and I'm going to see what it looks like with the plate where it should be, or at the bottom of the rear bumper. I'm unsure at the moment of where I would like to put it.

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
LOL @ the front bumper it looks like a snow plough.

Def not a fan of this but can see that the quality is there so maybe it wont look too bad.

Well it is coming up to Christmas you know, there's going to be snow on the road :rasp: i'll just be able to plough right through it!....just wait until it's finished. it's like looking at a half built house and saying you don't like it.

Side skirts look soooooooo much nicer mate!

Love it so far, just burn those wheels though lol :p

Which garage are you using and where is it? And how much do they charge? Cheap/Normal etc.

Would love to come and see this when your done mate, loving it so far!

And i like how you kept the original 1.2 car rather than fixin the sport...nice to see something different

Thank you very much

Garage is called Parkside Garage, it's in Newcastle Upon Tyne. They're charging £1000 for the job.

And Yeh the wheels suited the car when it was black but look a bit ghey on the White, I'm thinking about getting some nice black wheels, I'm open to suggestions.

Also just got the offer of a K-Tec carbon fiber bonnet for £150 might take that not sure yet.

Last edited:
  Clio 197, Civic Type R
That car looks like its gonna be NEAT when its finished! I aint even gonna lie i didnt think it would come out too tough from when you first started but it looks sharp man keep up the good work! ill keep my eyes open for updates

A silver one
Looks fantastic so far (apart from the alloys) bud. Ignore what the haters say.

I'd swerve the CF bonnet, but it's your choice. Can't wait to see more.

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
That car looks like its gonna be NEAT when its finished! I aint even gonna lie i didnt think it would come out too tough from when you first started but it looks sharp man keep up the good work! ill keep my eyes open for updates

Thanks mate :)

Looks fantastic so far (apart from the alloys) bud. Ignore what the haters say.

I'd swerve the CF bonnet, but it's your choice. Can't wait to see more.

Sorry I'm not up to the lingo, "swerve" does that mean you would or you wouldn't?, and Yeah I Definitely agree about the alloys.

Slight update:

So I'm moving house 20th December. Cash is going to be tight as I actually get my Xmas wages on the 28th Dec. So I've got to pay out for the bodywork, and the moving costs and Christmas in one month but I'll definitely get new alloys and a new exhaust after crimbo.

I've ordered some parts from K-Tec i'll wait till they arrive to show you guys and some parts from the Stealership.

Regards Dean

clio 172 cup, 106 gti
dont mean to be an arse now but wouldnt u of rather spent money on the original clio 172 u had?? and had that as a project ?? or was it that bad of a smash? total respect 4 u doin this project m8, but think u should of kept it a 172 original ;) in white :) keep us posted. ne engine mods let me know dean

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Might go CatCams, Induction, exhaust and a remap. but to be honest my real goal before I set my sights on engine mods is to get it on the road running reliably without wrapping it round a tree. Once I'm used to the power i'll go from there. I still haven't drove it at all. It's really tearing me up.

A silver one
Thanks mate :)

Sorry I'm not up to the lingo, "swerve" does that mean you would or you wouldn't?, and Yeah I Definitely agree about the alloys.

Regards Dean

Yeah swerve means avoid. Keep up the good work!

dont mean to be an arse now but wouldnt u of rather spent money on the original clio 172 u had?? and had that as a project ??

LOL how many times has the TS answered this question in the thread :( ......

Charged Superleggera
will defo keep an eye on this project. hats off to you for going against the crowd and doing what you want. i think it will look nice once finished. A turbo'd 172 would eat a v6 imo

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
hey dean m really liking the outcome of the car.. cant wait for it to be finished..
As for the people who judge you, there are just losers.. they are afraid to be different..
Your innovative and brave for following what you believe as for the dumbass people, they just follow what the other dumb ass has to say.. just follow what you believe mate.. m sure it will come out good.. cant wait for ur next pics mate..

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Thanks for the comments guys :)

It's really nice to know people are interested in seeing the outcome even if it doesn't suit there tastes.

lil_clio_boi, thanks for the comments, although I wouldn't go as far as to say people are losers, If we all liked the same things it would be a very strange world we lived in :) and I've always been a bit different. But thanks all the same.

I was at first very dubious about posting a project log for fear it might turn into a flame thread where I get called Lusty's brother and things but thankfully the large majority of people have been very respectful.

So it's time again for an Update. Watch this space ;)

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Small Update Time!

So it's nearing Christmas and I'm hoping to get this car on the road. I got a delivery today :)

It's my stuff from K-Tec :eek:

Also went out and got myself an iPhone and it seems to have a better camera than my old phone. I'm just waiting to get my hands on my mates Olympus E500 to get some REAL photos :D

img_0002.jpg

img_0003-1.jpg

So off I trotted to the Garage with new springs and stickers in hand.

img_0017-1.jpg

img_0012-1.jpg

img_0011-1.jpg

img_0008-1.jpg

img_0013-1.jpg

img_0014-1.jpg

I then set to work on putting the K-Tec sticker and come out with this which I'm happy with.

img_0006-1.jpg

img_0007-1.jpg

Trying out some stickers on the front, Might go with this or shorten it to K-Tec or go with the KTR sticker.

img_0025-1.jpg

img_0026-1.jpg

img_0027-1.jpg

...There's quite a bit of mess inside the car :eek:

img_0029-1.jpg

img_0030-1.jpg

img_0032-1.jpg

Thinking about moving this up to be level with the reversing light but my phone died so couldn't get photos.

img_0024-1.jpg

img_0023-1.jpg

Definetly needs to come up!

img_0021-1.jpg

Last but not least the strips for the dashboard have been completed :boring:

img_0019-1.jpg

img_0020-1.jpg

Hope you all Enjoyed

See you soon for more updates.

Civic Type-R
Looking good, I think the Renault Sport badge will look better at the bottom right of the boot, same as on the 197.

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
going nicely eh..
i dont know about you getting the iphone tho... lol.. it always crashes.. so be aware...

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
top marks for effort mate. keep the updates coming! how long you reckon its gonna be till its all finished?