ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Projector for Home Cinema

500bhp Scoob
I'm looking at changing to a projector setup, as I have a nice area of wall, where my tv currently is, and on the other side I have a couple of shelves that are perfect for putting a projector.

I'll prob buy a 2nd hand one, maybe even a faulty one as i've repaired quite a few whilst at work, usually something very easy to fix.

I understand that the lamps don't last too long but that doesn't put me off of them, just part of the running costs.

As it'll only be in my room and not some conferance room, i doubt i need a very high lumens one.

Anyone on here using one for their home cinema setup? any recommendations?
Got about £300-400 to spend on one (I know it really isn't enough for a proper decent one, but hopefully i can get a good one within that budget)

If you repaired them in the past then you're probably already aware that you can't play games on projectors?
The main reason why I didn't go down that route.

500bhp Scoob
A guy who I work with uses his xbox and ps2 on his projector setup with no problems.
Why is it you can't play games then, I wouldn't use it on my computer as it would mean routing a long bit of vga cable around the room, and its not exactly thin cable

I got a home cinema set up in my house, got a panasonic projector cost about £800 but this was about 2 years ago, its great for watching films, been told the bulbs last around 1000 hours (but saying that the shop we bought it from said they sold them to pubs and they ave them on every day and there bulbs have sometimes lasted around 3000 hours use), and the bulbs costs about £200 when they go because they are some stupid bulb that you can only get direct from panasonic, ill try get some photos up later and some more info

500bhp Scoob
I can't see how games can knacker them, surely if thats the case, then a movie knackers them aswell, due to moving pictures.

I know about the bulb life, that doesn't worry me really, just something you have to budget for, i only watch films/tv etc a couple of hours a night anyway.
Reason they are so expensive is because I think the LCD matrix is all part of the bulb unit, plus the bulbs themselves aren't just any old bulb anyway.

Would be nice to see your setup :)

cock mobile.
Don't get a projector for home use unless you are either going to spend a lot.

Or have it in a constant dark room, I mean very little light if any. Projectors are getting much better on illiumanosity (spelling) but are still not great for home use imo.

uncle has one and yes they give you nice big picture but quality aint what you would expect for the money you pay for them. i think his cost him about £6-7k and that was ment to be a mid range one. its hi-def model as well but its ott and i would have rather spent the money on a desent plasma or lcd hi-def tv than what he has got. and yes game are fine to run on it as his kids play golden eye about 10 hours a day on it and its fine. has some cool gismos on it so ya can put it anywhere in the room and even @ angles and it will still project anywhere ya want. very cleaver

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
No probs with playing games on projectors.

Bulbs vary between 150 - 400+

Decent lumens 1400+ no need at all for dark room.

Projs cost between 400 - skys the limit.

svga good for video xga standard data sxga stepup in price.

Screens, if you paint wall matt white it's just as good but no gain.

If you have a tiny(bedroom) room forget it.

Buy the right proj & colours & quality are amazing.

Second hand beware; most projs can have the hour counters reset, too easily.

2000 hrs on bulb, you will be very lucky to achieve this, image starting to fade is give away. To prolong, clean filters regularly.

E91 M Sport
A lot of bo1locks in this thread.

Projectors are easily as good as LCD/Plasma screens.

Projectors are perfect for games consoles.

Projectors will work in daylight situations.

Projectors will give you a 100"+ screen.

I have a Panasonic AE700 which is 720p and cost under 1k and gives a stunning image. Some people will undoubtably prefer 40" Plasma screens, but its like comparing a nice TV with being at the cinema ;)

500bhp Scoob
The room is usually very dark when I watch TV anyway, especially during the day, as I have to put the blind down to stop glare on the TV (as its right by the window.

Just measured the wall space, should be able to have it at about 72inches using the available space.

The shelf on the opposite side of the room where it will be kept is about 3 meters away from the wall, which should be fine.

I'm not a fan of plasma or lcd tv's, as said, its like comparing a nice tv to being at the cinema :)

Just looked on PC world, and they are selling an Epson EMP-S3L for £400 but there is prob better for the money, got a little while to find the best one for my budget.