ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[Q] Thoughts on modifying struts...

So from what I've been reading lowering by 40mm is generally the max on standard struts.

I'm presuming this is because they bottom out and we all know that's not going to end well.

My question is.. what's peoples thoughts on chopping the top inch off the strut and re machining it? So your using the original strut but have an extra inch of travel as such but it will help when lowered.

I'm not some idiot chav with ridiculous ideas. It seems logical and doable and I've probably got the tools to do what I've said so would be cheaper than buying new struts.

Or with the height change do you reckon the damping oil would need to be of a different viscosity to match the height change? In this case would be easier to buy new struts etc...

Thoughts?

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Damping would be off, the standard shocks are set up for a higher ride height. I think to do what your looking to do your best off going for new shorter dampers that are designed for the new height.

when we used to lower metros, properly, you had to strip the struts down, cut about an inch more than you want off them, then refill them with gas above what they had originally to make up for the drop in ride height. I know this is a little different due to the springs and dampers being a combined unit in them, but i think the principal stays the same.

at least with cutting your struts down you wont run the risk of them bottoming out

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
I wrote a long reply and feck nose what happened. Basically don't bother if you want lower your car, buy shorter stiffer struts or change the roll centre to bring everything back to acceptable.

Look up andrew gallaghers focus, he sectioned the entire car and dropped it lower over the floor plan to give you the same idea as what your asking about. Strut tops ended up above the bonnet.

Last edited: