ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question about exhaust (making one)

Iceberg 172
Hi all, I've been after an exhaust for a while and havnt really found anything, I've done a bit of research and am thinking of making an exhaust. Firstly to buy just a centre section off eBay, cut the flanges off and weld them onto a bit of stainless steel tubing from B&Q for £10. Weld a mounting bracket and use as a hanger. Am also thinking of buying a de-cat pipe off a friend as well. So the finished product should be like a peashooter exhaust :). I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this before or if anyone thinks it's a good or bad idea.

Cheers for reading. Opinions will be helpful.

Sam

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
£10 for stainless steel tube from B&Q ?

What do you get, 100 MM ?

You can get stealth systems on here for pretty cheap or you could get one made up at any exhaust place.

I guess it couldnt harm to try it though.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
pretty sure this will sound s**t. Heard a 106 gti that did the same thing and it was shocking tbh.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My mate built his own using various parts from a magnex system, plus a silencer from Merlin motorsport. Sounded amazing.

I don't really see a problem with it if your a competent fabricator, out of interest do you work in a engineering place and have you tried TIG welding? It can be tricky to master.

Personally i would not use a £10 piece of tubing from B&Q the quailty will be rubbish, you want a decent high grade stainless IMO.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Plenty of pipework available on ebay. Know a few people who have done it for various cars and they have turned out great.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Just to add, its going to be loud. Ridiculously loud.

Your going to attract police attention and I'm sure you can get done for not having baffles / cat in your car.

That is all.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I made my own centre pipe for my VTS.

I used a magnex back box, some 316 grade stainless 54mm NB tube, the flange joint off the magnex and the bend that went over the rear beam at the back was a random make.

That sounded really good with the cams and a cat replacement pipe.