ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

:R32

BMW 330D
Depending on how many miles you do really - im averaging 28-29mpg, but you could easily get low 20's with a lot of town work.

Like anything with a bit 3.0+ petrol engine, you dont buy it to worry about mpg all the time!!

It is no worse than my 197 though ;)

Works out about 40 quid a month more on petrol i would get low 20s becuase i do mostly town driving. Dont want to worry about mpg but want to know i could afford to run it lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I think the problem with these big engine cars is that when sold new the owners were normally fairly well off and didn't need to worry about mpg. The cars then depreciate and come into the price range of less wealthy petrol heads who buy them but can't drive them how they'd like to for fear of draining half the tank in 80 miles. There is nothing worse then having a car where you have to think twice about putting your foot down for fear of it costing you too much in juice (I know, I've been there).

At least when I batted it between mcd's and KFC in my clio I always returned a steady 35 to the gallon.....

Edit: not having a go at the r32 by the way, I think thyre awesome motors.

This is what put me off when I had my Zetec-S V6. Used to waft everywhere in absolute comfort, but never really properly got hold of it and drove it. Couldn't afford to at the time. Shame as the chassis made it a real b-road weapon.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So on Sunday afternoon i got back from 3 1/2 weeks in Vietnam/Thailand and unfortunately it wasnt the Trophy that i was looking forwards to getting back in :eek: For 99% of my driving the R32 is simply better. Its not an ultimate trackday warrior, but lets be honest, ill do perhaps 1, maybe 2 track days in the next 12 months, so i think it might be time for me to grow up ...

As such, i thought id overcome one of the niggles i have with the Golf, the DSG paddles, or more to the point, the lack of them!! £30 later on eBay and the problem was potentially solved. Rather amusingly, the lady i bought them off, Mandy, currently owns my old ED30, so its definately a small world ...

Just fitted them and very happy with the look/feel of the purchase, for the money, i think they are a great addition :D

Paddles
IMG_2186.jpg

Before:
IMG_2183.jpg

After:
IMG_2188.jpg

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
They look smart Dave, never realised that they were so small to start with!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Eh?

So you can just fit paddles and they work?! Seriously?

Nah, it has 'paddles' but they are tiny and you can only reach them if your hands are at 9-3. You can just about see them behind the sokes of the wheel. These entensions essentially stick to the back of the standard ones and make it 20x easier to change gear!!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Are they just clip on's? Not a fan of the carbon tbh..

Edit just seen the above.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Nah, it has 'paddles' but they are tiny and you can only reach them if your hands are at 9-3. You can just about see them behind the sokes of the wheel. These entensions essentially stick to the back of the standard ones and make it 20x easier to change gear!!

Oh right, f**k me they're nearly invisible.

How are you finding this Dave?

This is a contender for my next car (the sensible option), and 8k or whatever it was, it's well within budget.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nice mod, I want mine in Alloy. Not an easy swap on the TT sadly, mines look much bigger than yours!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Not a fan of the carbon tbh..

I'd also prefer plain black tbh, but they only options are 'carbon' or a awful plasticky looking silver, so i chose the former.

Could always spray them black i suppose.

How are you finding this Dave?

Being brutally honest (& obviously i havent driven it on track), but as a car to do 99% of tasks, its the best ive owned, & rather surprisingly, the only car in the past two years that has made me really question the point of having the clio as well. Although the BMW's are more communicative at maximum attack steering/handling wise, the engines are a little too smooth/lazy in their power delivery to be classed as fun i think. The M3's engine is obviously epic, but for me, it was just too fast to enjoy on the road.

Essentially, the R32 isnt quite as good as a 330 on the motorway (noise wise), but its more instantly chuckable if you do want to have a little bit of fun ... its basically a grown up's hot hatch that does pretty much everything, rather well.

Oh, & the noise :eek:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Are you coming to play on Saturday Dave? I want to see this :eek:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Take a zero off and stop reading Internet horror stories.

Vanos/

25811888.jpg

Re: the issues with DSG, it is usally the electronic connections with the DSG's Mechatronic unit that fail (in a similar way to the e46 M3 Vanos Solenoid in fact). VW obviously just replace the whole lot, at a cost of circa £1500. Ecu Testing will refurb the unit for circa £350.

Going to do the flapper mod at the weekend Gally ;)

Are you coming to play on Saturday Dave? I want to see this :eek:

Was planning on it, but have loads to sort out over the weekend after being on hols for most of August lol.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Those look great. I think keep the carbon.

Got any recent pictures?

This one ^ (someday)
561474_10151188613086535_1289839008_n.jpg

just copied you on the paddles front, ordered them at 3.30pm yesterday and they arrived 10am today!
I think they look the part too and are more comfortable to use.

This one ^ (someday)
Yeah definitely, a great little mod. My only concern is the stickyness, im worried using the paddles at the top is unlikely to un-stick them pretty rapidly

This one ^ (someday)
Love the car but the steering wheel looks so dated.

I've always thought this as well, the MK5 wheel wasn't quite up to scratch.

It is very easy to replace them with a Mk6 wheel so i'd definitely consider doing that.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
OOooooohhh, yeah Dave, change that. Or is it £900 being a vw r32 part?

Looks to be about £400 or so on ebay for the steering wheel, then another chunk for the airbag no doubt.

Golfs are very upgradable though, you can change the climate panel/satnav from MK5>Mk6 easily as well, ie change from this:
DSC05522.jpg

To this:
SteeringHVACMk6.jpg

Only problem is, thats money id rather spend on some suspension bits & bobs and a Haldex controller ...

Last edited:
  This one ^ (someday)
It's a Mk6 Robbo.

It's infact a Scirocco R, but i'll let you off as the wheels are the same ;)

Wow the DSG wheels are expensive, a friend of mine bought the standard mk6 wheel without paddles (his car's manual) and it was about £150 without airbag and not much more with!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Mines got multi-function as well as DSG though, & id want another flat bottom one really ...

Will keep an eye out though. £400 was just the BIY ones on eBay. Probably being sold by 200mphorwhateverhescallinghimselfnow.

Im sure they're cheaper elsewhere!

This one ^ (someday)
Mines got multi-function as well as DSG though, & id want another flat bottom one really ...

Will keep an eye out though. £400 was just the BIY ones on eBay. Probably being sold by 200mphorwhateverhescallinghimselfnow.

Im sure they're cheaper elsewhere!

Yeah i doubt i'd bother if it was costing that sort of money, much better things to spend £400ish on

This one ^ (someday)
I thought bigger paddles were necessary where the wheel doesn't turn...but if they're turning with the wheel you always know where they are...at quarter-to-three.

How do bigger paddles help if they turn with the wheel and your hands anyway?

the existing paddles are very small, only big enough for 2nd and 3rd fingers, which is a bit annoying so making them full size is very good. plus i find my hands shift about a bit on very tight corners so having a bigger paddle is useful

edit: i also forgot to say, bigger paddles adds 10hp and yes definitely because racecar