ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

:R32

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Are you taking the pi55??

260 miles to a tank is just dreadful!! Thats evo 8/9 territory

My remapped golf gttdi 150 has the same amount of torque as a r32 and does 700miles on a tank. Lol

Does the Golf have a bigger tank than the Leon? If not the only way you are getting 700 miles to a tank it doing 700 motorway miles at 70..

And WHY would you even think to compare them...lol

Oh and Dave i hope you've ordered some CH's..

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
handling info

I love that you replied to his statement properly, i simply couldnt be bothered ...

Some people just dont know the difference between grip, handling, or that often overlooked aspect - feel.

But no, i havent bought any CH's, a big box did just arrive from VW with the parts for a major service though, along with front discs & pads. Cheers Russ x

Turbos.
Got to love a CS member to member mailing. Once got sent a part and on the label it said "Mr R Fenn, Head Gay, Gay Research Centre" Went down well at work...

A Beautiful R32
Sure you dont want to swop a mega spec 3dr DSG, for a mega spec 5dr DSG?

Would love to, but I can't for a couple of reasons. Mainly that the mrs will need to drive it, and she won't as she doesn't like the auto or the power it has (I think it scares her a bit but then she doesn't drive a powerful car normally). Also, for example, I got 15mpg coming home from work and it is a bit selfish to 'waste' money on it when we have a house to renovate. If there was no baby and no house in need or work then it would be staying but things change so it has to go. I did originally buy it knowing I would be lucky to keep it for more than 3years, but I thought when would I ever get the chance to own a car with that engine ever again?

So now I am properly torn between just selling it and buying a s**t old banger for two years or swapping it for a 197/corsa vxr/focus st... Whatever comes next though has big shoes to fill. I like the idea of a 197, but I don't know if I can go back to a torque less car. The vxr interests me as it is tune-able. f**k it, I might have to really swallow the pill and get an aygo. FML.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Got to love a CS member to member mailing. Once got sent a part and on the label it said "Mr R Fenn, Head Gay, Gay Research Centre" Went down well at work...

FLOL, well ive just into the office to be greated by a note saying 'With compliments, you 'M' loving, Trophy owning a55 bandit. Much love x'

You gotta love CS friendships :eek:

I like the idea of a 197

I wouldnt bother, i get similar mpg in the R32, you will only be disappointed if you are used to German tbh, the interior is quite frankly terrible - mine lasted 3 weeks before i got rid for an old 330i touring :clown:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Got round to a few bits & bobs this weekend, mostly fitting the box of goodies that i got from Russ ...

IMG_2231.jpg

Not exactly exciting stuff, but i need to note it all down somewhere as proof of evidence of my 'service history' :star:

New front brakes, discs are rather large at 345mm, & stop the barge pretty darn well tbh!! Not sure if the discs really needed doing as well, probably just the pads really, but hey, whilst it was all off i thought i might as well do it all properly. Judging by the VW history, they were the originals, so they'd done 97k.

Old discs/pads
IMG_2233.jpg

New discs/pads
IMG_2234.jpg

Next up was the air filter, according to the service history this was changed at 80k by VW, but imho was starting to look a little grubby.

IMG_2235.jpg

Same with the pollen filter, changed at 80k. Changed again at 97k.
IMG_2236.jpg

Havent done the Spark plugs yet (they're currently in the boot), but as with everything else, they were done at 80k, i just thought for the little money they cost, i would rather have everything changed - tbh im a tad untrustworthy of most garages, whereas if i do it all again personally, i know for certain its been done :eek:

Next was the only change that is really noticeable to other people, removing the gold damn awful tinted windows!! Changed my process a little this time, mainly as i couldnt find all the Acetone/Tardis/Windolene, etc, so simply used a wallpaper heatgun, some fine wire wool and some Megs Quick Detailer. Worked just as well, if not better than previously!! All done in less than an hour :approve:

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

Looks much better without imho. Next job is two new tyres for the front, one has a slow puncture due to a nail, & well they dont match the rear Conti's, which upsets my love all things OEM. Im sure it would drive slightly better with matched tyres all round as well.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
How much were the discs and pads mate?

I was lucky mine were done all round by Audi in January. Only think I want to change is the DSG oil. Nice to keep on top of it. :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
How much were the discs and pads mate?

I was lucky mine were done all round by Audi in January. Only think I want to change is the DSG oil. Nice to keep on top of it. :)

Front discs & pads should have been circa £300, although i think its best you talk to Russ about any discounts available ... DSG is definately worth changing for peace of mind really - when was it done last? Haldex oil is easy enough as well if you buy the special tool!

The A8 is Sarah's dad's, one of the last of that shape iirc, a '51 plate 4.2 Sport. Absolutely mint condition with circa 120k on it.

You can see the VAG family love has now been passed onto me lol.

Last edited:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
4.2?! I dreamed of a 4.2! lol.

Give me a shout when he sells it. ;)

lol, he'll never sell it, they buy cars and run them forever!!

His old (immaculate) Audi 100 Turbo is still in the garage, & the Dutton Phaeton from his youth is in the garden underneath a flowerbed. Think he's had the A8 since it was 6 months old (so about 10 years) and Sarah mums TT 3.2 Roadster was bought when it was 12 months old iirc. Similarly, Sarah's had her TT 225 for 4.5 years, & the Audi 100 she had prior to that had been in the family for about 23 years lol.

Needless to say, they've given up trying to guess what i'll be driving in 6 months time :eek:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Polar opposites! :eek:

Haldex was done in May with the longlife service, plugs and coils also changed.

Dsg oil changed at 40k major service as per instructions. I'll change it at 70k. Still on 69k atm. Got the oil sitting there aswell.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
6 months? That's a bit optimistic.

Ha ha, fair point!! Although i do love the R32, does everything i need at the moment really. Auto for the commute, paddles for when i want to push on a bit and a s3xy noise and smoothness all the time. Win Win really
yes.gif
except maybe the mpg, but i knew it would be average at best tbh, 28.6mpg overall so far ...

Haldex was done in May with the longlife service, plugs and coils also changed.

Dsg oil changed at 40k major service as per instructions. I'll change it at 70k. Still on 69k atm. Got the oil sitting there aswell.

Ah thats ok then, think im going to take mine off Longlife, despite the fact that it has been serviced every 12 months at VW (has done 20k a year since new), i think i just prefer to do it every 10-12k as per my other cars. The oil is peanuts at ECP anyway - £28 for 4L of Castrol Edge 5W30 with the 30% discount code .... i bought 20L on Saturday ;)

Also got a copy of the original R32 brochure and options price list, retail on mine was just over £30k in 2006!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
28mpg is good for that! My wifes D4D Rav is only getting 37mpg. And its slower than ketchup and corners like a pissed cyclist.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Don't normally agree that cars usually look better without tints but that actually does look much better and fresher without them..

Cant believe you still have the golf tho, me and you must be growing up. ;)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Me and my old man agree with the Longlife thing mate, I see no point of it at all. The oil can't be that special! Changed every year for me, i'm doing about 7k a year just now.

53 Clio's & counting
Me and my old man agree with the Longlife thing mate, I see no point of it at all. The oil can't be that special! Changed every year for me, i'm doing about 7k a year just now.

LL is good if you do lots of miles - it is a decent enough quality for road use, and the car monitors the quality so it knows when it need changing (As you know) - it's perfect for the rep who slogs 20k+ a year, who then only needs to come in once a year instead of twice.

If your only doing less than 12k a year mind, id use something else - still high quality obviously lol

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Just checked that link for the Brembos - thats £88 per disc! So i actually got the OEM parts cheaper from VW ;)

LL is good if you do lots of miles - it is a decent enough quality for road use, and the car monitors the quality so it knows when it need changing (As you know) - it's perfect for the rep who slogs 20k+ a year, who then only needs to come in once a year instead of twice.

If your only doing less than 12k a year mind, id use something else - still high quality obviously lol

Yeah LL isnt as bad as everyone thinks in my opinion. No one moans when a BMW only needs servicing every 18k, but a VAG at 20k. OMG the world is going to catch fire and burn all the baby bunny rabbits :eek: I still use the decent Castrol Edge, but will simply change it every 10-12k, thats only as i do it myself though, and dont have to pay a main dealer £140 for the same job.