ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

r5 gtt with clio v6 engine or 182??

182 for sale £7000
i have a r5 gtt but not sure where to go with it performance wise wheather it would be a clio v6 engine in the rear or a 182 engine in the front??

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
182 in the front is easier, been done a fair few times, very simular to the clio conversion. v6 in the boot can be done but ure looking at lots of fabrication to do it

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Why not keep it completely standard,hard to come by in that state,im looking for one now and its proving impossible.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
not imposible bud but ure into clio 172 money for a decent one, i know the sites down at the mo but have a look around rtoc.org for some good examples for sale

182 for sale £7000
i think then a v6 engine would be easier as tryin to match up the two engines wouldn be a simple job

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
hows about 2 182 engines, one in the front and one in the back

2 of everything, mega exspenisve. these engine wnt run on there original ecus in another car so you have to go for an aftermarket ecu, ud need 2 in that case. one in the front is plenty quick enough, though i know of someone with a turbod 172 in there 5

LY 182
v6 would be a stupid idea imo... it does the job in the clio but if you were going to all that work pound for pound there are much better alternatives

someone needs to put an evo 7 engine in the back of a v6.... one day

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
v6 would be a stupid idea imo... it does the job in the clio but if you were going to all that work pound for pound there are much better alternatives

someone needs to put an evo 7 engine in the back of a v6.... one day

twin turbo charged 350z engine gets my vote for an engine swap into the v6

Stagecoach Ticket
There was a fairly standard r5 gtt running 13 second quarters in french cars why not spend the time and moneying working the standard lump and loosing weight surely it be well quick and worth more?

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
^ probably to do with reliability, need new rads every month. 182 engine would be good imo

if your not worries about fabrication then K20A (Civic type R engine) or the B18 (Integra Type R - DC2 engine)

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
^ probably to do with reliability, need new rads every month. 182 engine would be good imo

yeah yeah, and i bet ure mate had one running 350bhp that blew headgaskets everyweek, reliability is not an issue on a renault 5 gtt, poor maintenace causes things to feck up same as on any vehicle

ValverInBits
agreed. Why stay renault. The amount of fab work is going to be that much you may as well go for a good jap Turbo 4 pot or the legendary VAG 20vT

Then you don't have to mess around with gash french Gboxes either.

ValverInBits
a v6 would have more torque than a 4 pot wudnt it?

No. The average turbo 4 pot is likely to produce the same lb/ft as is does bhp at the fly.
Lag is the only disadvantage, but with the weight saved and the power gained, it's a small disadvantage.

182 for sale £7000
that looks nuts mate!!a front engine is prob the way to go just trying to choose and source the right engine???the vag engine is a god idea as they are bomb proof but a vtech lump are very pricey

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Well I think it's wrong to have an R5 GT Turbo without a turbo :) They even suit an atmo dump valve IMHO hehe!

Personally if it was mine, I'd be restoring it to standard, with the standard engine, but stripped and rebuilt with all uprated parts and cooling system etc, and one of those Ktec uprated carbs and things, maybe run it at about 150bhp, keep it well within it's safety limits.

Dan

ValverInBits
Dont go for type R engines. The Gbox is on the other side and it will be a nightmare to get it mounted.

This is not a project yet and needs to be moved really.

182 for sale £7000
a project isnt a project without plans!!i think il stay with french as i work for renault bits r cheap and all repair manuals on tick

Valver
Not sure about the reason, not sure a bout an r5, but the 182 engine doesn't fit in the mk1 clio. Something to do with the exhaust i think.

But don't quote me on this!

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
172 engine fits into a clio valver!
ask danlp6,and a few others on here!

rear engine is way more hasle than front.
keeping it renault some parts may be the same?ish lol

its thing such as gear linkage and engine mounts,drive shaft lengths that make it harder!

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
iv used a ph1 172 subframe and part front end
including drive shafts,wishbones,shocks,hubs etc
and then plonked it in the rear!

works fine lol
exept one bit of advice get the brakes working properley first!lol