ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Race engined, big turbo TTRS build.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
This is amazing! TTRS is one of my favourite cars.

why everyone loves those rotiforms though is beyond me?! They are dreadful wheels!! Properly chavtastic! :(

Says the boy that used to own 19' TSW Pindrives! ;)

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Very nice build! Awesome to see something different so keep the updates coming.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lovely stuff, shame your one isn't Suzuka Grey. Beautiful colour.

The level of work is great I must say, bit mental but that's what you like. It's also one of the best modern engines ever made I must say, Baz's one was running 400 iirc and it just went like crazy especially on 4wd, only my boss' 997T really felt as quick.

I'll fire a picture of Baz's up as it's Phanton Black and has just been wetsanded... http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?694320-Black-TTRS-Wet-Sand!

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Love the ttrs I would be tempted on the RS3 if they weren't holding there money so well, I know there a bit more lardy but very practical I'm terms of room and all weather performance

TTRS, 172 Cup track
Fantastic. I recognise the old mk1 TT in this pic - one of Bill Brockbank's mates isn't it?

271870_228868767133890_217117581642342_787834_1043876_o.jpg

The silver one? I think it is.

I'm sure I took that photo. From Santa Pod? TTOC meet about 3 years ago?

Car looks awesome mate. Some serious cash and effort has gone into it!

Yeah could very well have, I think it was a TTOC meetup that day.

Instant reaction? I despise the switch - I've a proper soft-spot for those Leon's and your's looked a beauty. To swap that for a white TT of all things?? Ewwwwwww.... ;)

That said, I simply cannot fault your commitment (and pockets) to your ultimate goal. It beats simply tweaking a Scooby or Evo in search of mad performance figures anyway.

Now how's about transplanting all that hard work back into the Leon shell??? :)

D.

Thanks, truth is the leon is still my favourite car ive ever owned. Maybe its because i was 19 at the time and had alot of good memories in that car with all my mates bundled in but it always made me smile. Loved the fact it was such a underdog and would frighten m3's and NA rs4s.

TTRS, 172 Cup track
Lovely stuff, shame your one isn't Suzuka Grey. Beautiful colour.

The level of work is great I must say, bit mental but that's what you like. It's also one of the best modern engines ever made I must say, Baz's one was running 400 iirc and it just went like crazy especially on 4wd, only my boss' 997T really felt as quick.

I'll fire a picture of Baz's up as it's Phanton Black and has just been wetsanded... http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?694320-Black-TTRS-Wet-Sand!

Bloody hell thats got a really nice mirror finish. Sadly mine doesnt get treated that well lol.

Oh my God. What a thread!

Are there any videos? I need to hear this machine.

Titanium exhaust with the two big backboxes. You can get a race version, which is switchable. Its got a tiny motorbike race can style backbox with the flap closed, and a straight pipe outlet with the flap open. But thats just way too loud for me. Neighbours would hate me, and it would draw too much attention.

The roadster has been vandalised a few times now since we fitted the racecan style exhaust to it for example. Not good.

Race version

Last edited by a moderator:
  TTRS, 172 Cup track
And my previous milltek race exhaust. Sounded good, but poor build quality

Last edited by a moderator:

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Regardless of how much of an arsehole you've come across, that is one serious machine. Epic.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks, truth is the leon is still my favourite car ive ever owned. Maybe its because i was 19 at the time and had alot of good memories in that car with all my mates bundled in but it always made me smile. Loved the fact it was such a underdog and would frighten m3's and NA rs4s.

Haha - epic! You sir, are clearly winning at life! :cool:

​D.

Awh you lucky son of a gun.
How old are you now, (if you don't mind)

Z4
All the best trolls on here have great cars tbh.

This lad, tuned TT RS
Munson - tuned mk2 focus RS
DK - SLK AMG

66.6% of the above are for gays, but still.

TTRS, 172 Cup track
All the best trolls on here have great cars tbh.

This lad, tuned TT RS
Munson - tuned mk2 focus RS
DK - SLK AMG

66.6% of the above are for gays, but still.

Just because I dont like the fiesta ST doesnt make me a troll lol :nono:

TTRS, 172 Cup track
So, the clutch has finally arrived.

With a bit of luck, this:

DE2E22BA-375F-491E-9200-2FB5FB97DD40-3694-0000025EAF3CA736_zps7ce54848.jpg

7352169C-78A2-4B82-B058-4696AB0C3E2D-3694-0000025EB3B6A75C_zpse5621758.jpg

Will get mated up to this:

28C059D0-E45F-4F6A-953F-2F06FA80985B-3765-000002A42331908F_zpsc5b757d8.jpg

And the engine can finally go back into the car.

TTRS, 172 Cup track
Made some changes on hardware spec. Hopefully have a carbon carbon clutch sooner than later.

Also ordered a new intercooler, will be the third one now.

Product Page

intercooler_25tfsi_ttrs_front_angle.jpg

The APR Intercooler System dramatically lowers charge air temperature and resists heat soak far better the TT RS’s factory intercooler system. Through a massively increased frontal surface area, superior intercooler core design and smooth, cast end tanks, APR’s engineers were able to create an intercooler capable of supporting power levels well beyond that of the factory unit. Expect increased horsepower and torque and dramatically prolonged performance.

• Dramatically lowers intake air temperature
  • Increases horesepower and torque while prolonging performance
  • APR intercooler core dimensions: 3.00" x 12.70" x 22.25"
  • OEM intercooler core dimensions 3.19" x 6.38x" x 21.75"
  • 104% more frontal area and 92% larger core compared to stock
  • Pressure tested for leak proof operation
  • Smooth cast alumnium end tanks
  • CNC machined hose connection points
  • Integrated light weight support brace, horn and sensor brackets
  • Stealthy black coating does not alter thermal effectiveness
  • Full install directions and APR's world-renowned customer support
  • Lifetime warranty

Intercooler Ambient Air Fins

intercooler_25tfsi_ttrs_ambient_air_fins.jpg

Each unit uses a high quality, bar and plate core with staggered and louvered fins. The Intercooler’s exceptionally tall design and fin structure exposes the core to a greater volume of airflow than possible with the factory or similar aftermarket short and thick core designs. With more of the intercooler directly exposed to the elements, cooling effectiveness dramatically increases.

Intercooler Charge Air Fins

intercooler_25tfsi_ttrs_charge_air_fins.jpg

Internally, the APR Intercooler System features a staggered and louvered fin design with a core density chosen as a balance between cooling effectiveness and pressure drop. Due to the core’s massive volume, the balance was easily adjusted to favor minimal pressure drop while still providing superior effectiveness compared stock and similar to stock designs.

Intercooler Rear with Support Brace installed

intercooler_25tfsi_ttrs_back_with_brace.jpg

The intercooler’s maximum size and frontal area is directly related to packaging constraints found at the front end of the vehicle. Intercooler units located in the factory location are design limited resulting in increased volume primarily through expanding the depth of the system. Unfortunately increasing depth only slightly increases the intercoolers effectiveness compared to increased frontal surface area. APR’s Intercooler System includes a reengineered front-end support brace constructed from billet aluminum to maximize packaging constraints. The low profile support brace resides near the factory location and no longer blocks the intercooler from front-end airflow. The bar’s inner design features a weight saving grid, which also aids in airflow through the core.

intercooler_25tfsi_ttrs_front_installed.jpg

The intercooler core and brace are both black to remain stealthy behind the TT RS’s massive grille. The black chip and corrosion resistant coating does not alter the thermal effectiveness of the intercooler core. During testing APR’s Engineers were unable to measure a difference in temperature between the coated and non-coated system during both dyno and road tests. This was further backed up with matching dyno performance between coated and uncoated systems equaling each other.

intercooler_25tfsi_ttrs_logo.jpg

More Photos : Click to Enlarge

intercooler_25tfsi_ttrs_thickness_mid.jpg
intercooler_25tfsi_ttrs_back_mid.jpg
intercooler_25tfsi_ttrs_hose_connection_mid.jpg

Testing Data - Dyno

The Test below demonstrates the intercoolers ability to cool intake air temperature even under brutal conditions. Six back-to-back pulls were preformed with absolutely no cool down between runs. The APR Intercooler’s first run was conducted in slightly worse conditions than the stock intercooler, but it was able to keep the intake air temperature at redline lower than stock even after the sixth back to back pull! The dramatic rise in temperature from the stock intercooler cost the TT RS valuable horsepower on the dyno and averaged over 25 HP less than the APR unit across the six runs.

25tfsi_trans_intercooler_iat_dyno.png

25tfsi_trans_intercooler_iat_dyno_2.png

25tfsi_trans_intercooler_power.png

Testing Data - Street

APR’s Engineers set out to further prove each Intercooler’s effectiveness by testing in real world conditions on the street. Four back-to-back 20-130 mph pulls were conducted with both the factory and APR intercooler unit while various data points were collected with APR’s ECU Explorer data logging suite. While APR’s Engineers made every effort to keep starting temps identical between the two intercoolers, unfortunately conditions worsened while testing the APR unit as ambient temperature increased.

The rise in temperature was still no match for the APR intercooler unit. Pull after pull, the intercooler was able to cool charge air temperature below the actual starting temperature! The stock intercooler unfortunately experienced a rapid temperature increase and on average ran 14C higher than the starting temperature. The intake air temperature results collected on the street mimicked that of the data collected on the dyno further backing the power associated with each unit.

25tfsi_trans_intercooler_iat_road.png

TTRS, 172 Cup track
To bring things up to date, car was meant to have been ready by now but ran into some slight difficulties.

But my good friend jonnys car was ready and he got some figures off his. Our cars are of identical spec apart from the cylinder head.

660hp on v-power
0-60 in 2.8
100-200km/h in 5.8
1/4 mile in 10.7 @ 136mph

And here's some videos. Yes, it's a manual

[video=youtube_share;4rS1oWL9tYQ]http://youtu.be/4rS1oWL9tYQ[/video]

[video=youtube_share;jkRqi7WHOCE]http://youtu.be/jkRqi7WHOCE[/video]

HBT 172 Cup
Holy s**t thats fast, i love the little things like how agile and fast the speedo needle reacts on the dials, can watch that vid over and over.

Z4
Brilliant.
That would compete with some serious metal now!

I timed it at around 12 seconds 0-155mph. That's about the same as a Mclarren F1, maybe a touch faster even.

Who said Audi tts aren't drivers cars! Oh yes, me.:eek: