ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Race engined, big turbo TTRS build.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
That's the mother of violence that is. Amazing build.

TTRS, 172 Cup track
F***!

Apart from 30-130 squabbles, can the benefit of all that power and expense really be used on the road?

I think you would need to be very careful now where and when you can use that power, as it covers ground so quickly, plus on a damp or wet road it will spin all 4 wheels at 70mph.

before at 400hp you could use the power pretty much most of the time, now there's extra responsibility I suppose.

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
Wow another awesome ttra build ive been following johnny c's for a while and now yours too makes me want one so badly

The speed the thing accelerate' s at and how quick it hits 170 is unreal

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
So thats your mates car? Or is that your one? Or is yours as quick as the one in the video?

f**king mental. Must have a stockpile of tyres running that sort of power :eek:

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Outrageous! Seems so effortless and controllable.

How much does a build like this set you back? Must be easily more than the car cost brand new.

another question why do u and your mate build the exact same car? Where's the fun in that? Surely one of you should have bought a gtr and tuned that to 1000hp or something

TTRS, 172 Cup track
Outrageous! Seems so effortless and controllable.

How much does a build like this set you back? Must be easily more than the car cost brand new.

another question why do u and your mate build the exact same car? Where's the fun in that? Surely one of you should have bought a gtr and tuned that to 1000hp or something

Haha no not anywhere near the cost of the car. Lets put it this way, it costs less to buy a TTRS new and do this to it than it would be to buy a new GTR.

We became friends through the VAG tuning scene, we were both tuning 2.0tfsi then when the TTRS came out we both had to have one. Jonny did two big turbo builds on the 2.0tfsi which is where I got the inspiration to do this to the TTRS tbh.

The GTR is also his car, now that his TTRS is basically nearly finished he will start concentrating on tuning his GTR with some bespoke parts.

My immediate future plans is to just enjoy my car for a while, planning some
European drive tours for next year, perhaps do Bedford how fast and the ring.

TTRS, 172 Cup track
UPDATE:

Ive had the car back for a while now, but been too busy enjoying it in all my spare time. Its 97 percent complete I have been busy running in the engine motorsport style and generally getting used to it. It requires one last visit for the VWR air intake to be fitted and a general final nut and bolts check, including the loading of the final map.

We did have some valvetrain issues along the way, so ive gone back to stock audi valves and springs. Therefore technically APR consider the car to be stage 3 plus and not full blown stage 4. Valvetrain is something I might revist in the future once I have the time and money to get more development work done.

So the car hasnt been dynoed, but we know roughly what power the car is making from the data logs. Its a solid 650hp 650lbft car for sure, some reckon it could even be knocking on the door of 700hp. Whatever it is, its fast, and trying to put the power down when its cold and wet is a hard task. Ive had the car spinning its wheels in 4th, and even with ESP fully on ive had a one or two fishtail occasions where the car tries to throw you off the road just going WOT in a straight line. Needless to say I keep ESP fully on in these conditions. I tried it in ESP sport once, where the TC isnt as nannying, and even a slight application of the throttle in the boost range would mean sideway action.

So before at stage 2, where you would jump in the car in pretty much any weather condition and turn the ESP into sport or OFF was possible, now it no longer is if you want to do WOT applications.

So onto how it drives. Around town, just cruising, its pretty much like OEM, if we disregard the all round stiffer engine mounts I opted for and the SMF twin plate clutch as they are obviously noisier than OEM. I think most stage 3 customers only fit the lower gearbox mount, but I wanted the whole works.

The car feels more solid and communicative because of the mounts, blip the throttle and the revs fly up in the blink of an eye due to the lighter flywheel, and you get a racecar-ish "thrum" into the cabin.

The clutch took me a day or two to get used to, but it appears the more mileage I put on the car, the more OEM it gets. You do notice the weight of the race clutch if you keep it dipped in traffic, so you soon stop doing that and make use of neutral and the handbrake instead.

MPG is in the low 40's now on the motorway at a steady 70mph. One WOT scenario will drag the average right down though. It drinks when you put your foot down. Around town Id say its around the same as with a stock turbo.

Now how does it drive like in anger? Well it kicks, really really kicks hard. The car is responsive and the spool is quick, boost doesnt really build gradually like most big turbo cars ive experienced, it well just kicks in, and the ass end squats throwing you into the back of the seat. The throw into the seat back action is so intense, that once you come off boost you and your passenger will notice that the seatbelt has tightned around your body. People who are generally known to be good passengers, turn into not so good passengers, myself included.

The car pulls hard from 3k rpm all the way to the limiter, its relentless and it doesnt die off. Spool on my motor comes in like 700rpm earlier than that of stage 3 cars without the engine work. This is down to the work of racedevelopments, and I'll post more about that at another time in greater detail.

So all in all, very happy, the car has exceeded expectations, and the fact that its quicker in the 100-200km/h dash than a aventador, macca f1, pagani zonda F (with jonnyc behind the wheel) well thats just a bonus.

I'll carry on posting, about what the car is like to live with day to day, as people never really post about that side of things, so maybe it will be of interest to some people, who have flirted with the idea of a BT but have been unsure for whatever reason to see how others are getting on.

TTRS, 172 Cup track
Yeah he always sells his cars pretty quickly after completing the project. The TT did manage to stick around longer than all his previous big turbo cars though.

His GTR project is very interesting

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah he always sells his cars pretty quickly after completing the project. The TT did manage to stick around longer than all his previous big turbo cars though.

His GTR project is very interesting

Certainly does, he keeps his overall plans close to his chest though, so not really sure what kind of specs he's aiming for. Time will tell!

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Epic car, I keep contemplating selling focus and getting one and chances are a TTRS roadster will be my Le Mans cars... But a stage 1/2 car will do me. Preferably with s-tronic but they are out of reach at minute.

A couple of (sazuka?) grey ones with bucket seats have came up for sale for £25k ish which I am tempted to go and view... But must resist

TTRS, 172 Cup track
Epic car, I keep contemplating selling focus and getting one and chances are a TTRS roadster will be my Le Mans cars... But a stage 1/2 car will do me. Preferably with s-tronic but they are out of reach at minute.

A couple of (sazuka?) grey ones with bucket seats have came up for sale for £25k ish which I am tempted to go and view... But must resist

Dont resist, do it, stage 2 is an animal!