ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattle from Cambelt Area...........

Astra Twintop
Hello

My 2003 1.6 16v Clio has decided over the weekend to develop a odd rattling sound from the cambelt area.

Belts were changed on time 2 years ago.

Car still drives fine.

Its doing it at idle, and when moving.

Going to get it booked in to a garage soon as im about as mechanically minded as a fish.

My old fella thinks it might be a pulley or tensioner.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Its not the cheapest of jobs if it IS the Water pump as i think the timing belt comes off. Personally i would investigate it further though and i wouldnt use the car much until you find out what it is.

Astra Twintop
Its not the cheapest of jobs if it IS the Water pump as i think the timing belt comes off. Personally i would investigate it further though and i wouldnt use the car much until you find out what it is.

How much wallet damage are we talking here?

I couldnt really guess to be honest mate, it wouldnt be cheap though. It might not be the pump, as i said its best to investigate.

Astra Twintop
Its toward the back of the engine. (if that helps)

Are the water pumps known to play up ?

sophiesdad

ClioSport Club Member
  anything i get
on the 1.6 16v its timing belt driven , so all need to come off again , and renewed , price will depend on where you take it , but using genuine renault parts , bits would be approx £200ish and labour on top (i do them for £120 )
garage would be approx £400/£500 at a guess
dont drive it till you get it checked.

Astra Twintop
Not sure if this is related to the work thats been done............

Not it starts, and dies soon after :(

Have to rev it a little to keep it alive, after that the rev counter hunts about for a little more............