ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Real world cost of boost

What's an MCS?

I'm just working out the finances now but I'm 90% sure I could do it all for about £2500 - maybe even £2k if the right 2nd hand/refurb parts came up - 6 months is enough time to be patient and wait for bargains

Then the Jenveys with carbon air box, filter, linkage etc.. must be worth £7/800

So it'd probably cost me - let's say £1800 - over 6 months = £300 a month
I'd be happy putting £300 of disposable income to one side to go from 194bhp to 250bhp and boost :D

Plus I could buy myself a diff next christmas as a present, chuck an uprated clutch in it while I swap engines over and get the gearbox rebuilt. Could be quite nice!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That's the only thing that came to my head, dont know any other acronims that fit. I doubt it! Wont come close to you're car at all.

Maybe Dave just means he would sooner buy one as its still quick enough to enjoy, and unlike mine isnt the same sort of value of investment as buying stamps and storing them outside.

Maybe Dave just means he would sooner buy one as its still quick enough to enjoy, and unlike mine isnt the same sort of value of investment as buying stamps and storing them outside.

got confused then cos the guy who owned the mini was called Dave lol, But yeah anything thats stock with a turbo is alot easier and cheaper to get power out of than a n/a engine.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
got confused then cos the guy who owned the mini was called Dave lol, But yeah anything thats stock with a turbo is alot easier and cheaper to get power out of than a n/a engine.

An MCS wont depreciate much, if he throws half a dozen grand at a turbo conversion on a clio it will, I suspect that is his angle, he is very money focussed is sir_dave!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
one major consideration with turbo'ing a car that was never designed for it is the ongoing costs of maintenance

its not strictly comparable as mines an old car as it is so costs are high anyway, but having owned a turbo clio for 6 years now i can say the build costs are about 1/3 of the financial burden its cost me, i've spent a hell of a lot more revising/improving, fixing/maintaining the car.

personally if i have a clean sheet, i would be tempted to go properly head on into it and sink double the figures being bandied about and do a proper job from the off, trusting it then to not cost a fortune to keep it running.

just my tuppence

'03 MCS, MKV Ed30
I'd still prefer a SC rather than Turbo MCS. Also the pre-facelift I think looks better. New one looks too much BMW.

Exactamonda.

I can have a 245bhp Mini Cooper-S for £4.5k all in, including buying the car lol.

I can't believe that's even being brought up. Heavy barge things they are with a horrid image.
Standard mini cooper-s of my mates gets DESTROYED by my Clio as it is
Not for me I'm afraid

Buy a Meg? Just a thought.

It was one of the things I've been thinking about all year but they're too big, too heavy and too electronic for my liking. I want something a bit raw'er (if thats a word)
PLUS It's been 2 years since I've built an engine/car and I miss it like mad - driving the Clio turbo'd will be fun but I'm more excited about having a build project in the garage again for the year :D

one major consideration with turbo'ing a car that was never designed for it is the ongoing costs of maintenance

its not strictly comparable as mines an old car as it is so costs are high anyway, but having owned a turbo clio for 6 years now i can say the build costs are about 1/3 of the financial burden its cost me, i've spent a hell of a lot more revising/improving, fixing/maintaining the car.

personally if i have a clean sheet, i would be tempted to go properly head on into it and sink double the figures being bandied about and do a proper job from the off, trusting it then to not cost a fortune to keep it running.

just my tuppence

Yes but I don't think it will affect me too much. Car does 3-5k miles a year at most, is only used as a toy and will be trailered to track days. So reliablity etc... isn't a huge issue.
I've got a diesel pissrat for the work commute each day :D

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I can't believe that's even being brought up. Heavy barge things they are with a horrid image.
Standard mini cooper-s of my mates gets DESTROYED by my Clio as it is
Not for me I'm afraid

Standard 1130kg mini with 163bhp in 'getting spanked by 200bhp clio that weighs 950kg shocker'. You plum Phil.

A MCS weighs 20kg more than a normal 172, ie a particularly large dump.

Just drive your trackcar on track, & enjoy it.

Yeah but that was kinda my point - it'd be nuts to go to an MCS they weigh so much and have so little power to start with

I think with 250bhp and a diff the Clio will be an absolute giggle-machine lol

It's about £3k worth of work - granted

But I've got better suspension, wheels, chassis, brakes, exhaust etc.. etc.. than a Mini

Granted if the Clio was standard or I was building something from scratch an MCS might be a good idea - but if I ditch the Clio now I'll have lost about £8k lol

I've gone this far - might as well make it a monster

I didn't miss them out - the tyres are s**t and the driver needs more time behind a wheel hehe

What I'm looking to achieve is a car that I can go on track with but more importantly, head out at a weekend with my mates and have a laugh in.
Oh and I also want to see the suprised look on peoples faces because they don't expect it. LOL

The ITB's were something I always wanted to do after all my 106 owning mates had them, and I've done it but it's just not grin-level power. The noise is nice but I want more
I want to enjoy the car for another 3 or 4 years and after being in my mates 260bhp 106 at the weekend I want boost :D
I always promised myself that before I settle down with a house and marriage I'd own a throttle bodied car and a boosted car. I could sell up and get a megane/impreza/evo etc... but it seems such a shame when £2k will see a swap to a turbo on the Clio

Simple as that really

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Phil, we can play together soon hopefully mate, we're moving to notts now :) So hurry up and get it done!

Just had house offer accepted.

* starts praying chains dont collapse etc, god I hate moving! *

Oh wow - that's awesome!!!

Only 40 mins from my house.
What's your favourite bribe for when I get stuck? Pizza/Beer/Women... lol
James is only an hour or so from me too - should be interesting haha

I figure it's not gonna hurt to get a 182 lump with low miles anyway - if the boost idea falls through at least I could make a better engine for the bodies to live on.
But I've already got girlfriend approval for the turbo idea so I suspect it'll be full steam ahead next month :D

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oh wow - that's awesome!!!

Only 40 mins from my house.

Ha, small world :)

What's your favourite bribe for when I get stuck? Pizza/Beer/Women... lol

Beer sounds a safe bet :)

James is only an hour or so from me too - should be interesting haha

Yeah its going to be epic being nearer to James, he's an amazing bloke but so hard to see him much at the moment.

Downside is I will now be in that situation with Danlp6 though who is my main bromance in somerset, lol

I figure it's not gonna hurt to get a 182 lump with low miles anyway - if the boost idea falls through at least I could make a better engine for the bodies to live on.
But I've already got girlfriend approval for the turbo idea so I suspect it'll be full steam ahead next month :D

Yeah, its always a good spare to have.

Ph1 T
I did all mine for just under 2k that's including mapping omex loom build ect but got parts at a very good price..

Running 242bhp and 218lbt if your about sheffield any weekends and fancy popping out in mine give me a shout

Dan, I will DEFINITELY take you up on that mate - girlfriend is at sheffield uni so I'm around occasionally.
I sat and read your whole build thread 2 days ago - was my main reason for this decision lol

The turbo seems to be the expensive bit.. £700 quotes so far :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Dan, I will DEFINITELY take you up on that mate - girlfriend is at sheffield uni so I'm around occasionally.
I sat and read your whole build thread 2 days ago - was my main reason for this decision lol

The turbo seems to be the expensive bit.. £700 quotes so far :(

Just buy a secondhand T28, 150 quid tops.

Ph1 T
No worries just give me a shout pal..

I take it that price is brand new? My intercooler rad ect were custom made so wouldn't have a clue on part prices tbh..

You wouldn't want to come out in mine ATM though handling like a bag of Shite, knackered spring and rack bush :(

No worries just give me a shout pal..

I take it that price is brand new? My intercooler rad ect were custom made so wouldn't have a clue on part prices tbh..

You wouldn't want to come out in mine ATM though handling like a bag of Shite, knackered spring and rack bush :(

Wanna stick your engine in mine? Got KW V2's, Wilwoods, Polybushed all round lol

:)

I don't know much about turbos so not sure what's safe regarding 2nd hand items

Ph1 T
I wouldn't know either mate..

Slightly off topic what's it handle like on track with that setup? I have FK Konigsports and they seem sound but are dating and fancy a change..

I took a risk buying that car not knowing if the turbo ect worked or not but everything's spot on with it so got a bargain really