ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear arches - a likely future issue for all 172/182 etc?

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
The willy and rsi clios were well known for the rear arch getting a bit rusty over time, whats the likelihood of this cropping up on 172/182s anytime?

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
is it something like 72k warranty though knowing renault feck all

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i looked at a ph1 that had already started to push round the arches, the problem is they have a lip on the inside which gathers the mud and dirt and just sits there

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
I ve heard some of them left the factory rusty all over not just the rear arches!

nextjacket021.jpg

If you clean the arches properly, should help out.

Surely it's the same for all Clios not just the sports, they all have the same rear arches don't they?

Clio 172 mk2
As above, just hose all the crap out from the lip on aregular basis and they should be okay.

It's the dirt etc which holds moisture/salt which eventually leads to rusting

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
We had a 197 Cup in work getting it's yellow bumpers sprayed the right colour and that God-awful spoiler filled in and resprayed. It's boot-lid and rear quarterpanel had rust on it. 2 months old. I have pictures somewhere.

Laguna 2, Westfield
The arches will be fine if you clean out the dirt with a hose and if they havent been repaired after an accident.
My mums clio is W reg, coming up to 8 years old now(had from new) and there isnt any rust at all on the arches, due to me cleaning them out once in a while/and its never been repaired at all. Any rusty ones you see will be due to bodged repairs mainly.
Wasn't there a design flaw with the williams/16v that helped them rust, normal mk1 clio's always seemed to be less rusty.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Mine has no signs of rust, as said best to clean the arches out on a regular basis. There's a 53 reg 1.2 round mine and both rear arches are gone on the lip.

www.renparts.co.uk
when you remove side skirts on 172's, especially older ones theyre pretty rusty back there often, collects water/dirt/road salt i suppose.