ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear heatshield bolt won't undo/tighten.

I've had a rattle from my car since the day after buying it which sounded like a loose clamp on my exhaust. On further inspection its actually the heatshield over the drivers side exhaust pipe at the very back of the car; its rusted around the washers and is hanging down slightly.

I sprayed the nut with WD40 and left it for 30mins before spraying on more then leaving for another 30 mins. Upon trying to undo the nut it was already loose however the whole thing appears to be turning, not just the nut. The nut is stuck to the first smaller washer and thats turning with it.

The car has obviously suffered this issue before as on both sides there are larger diameter washers over the originals, and one is slightly bigger than the other. As they are both turning, what are my options for removal of the nut/bolt and replacement? Any ideas how I could stop it rattling? Its starting to get a tad annoying!

Thanks for any advice in advance.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Just get rid of the heatshield mate... saves a lot of hassle as it will keep coming loose and rattling. I put increasingly larger washers on there (currently the size of dustbin lids) but ultimately the tin foil heatshield rips again... LOL! :D

I thought about that but was concerned about the heat the exhaust gives off. I have a decat & new exhaust mounts on there way so when they are getting fitted I will just have the offending bit of the heat shield removed aslong as its safe to do so.

MK3 Clio DCI 86
I thought about that but was concerned about the heat the exhaust gives off. I have a decat & new exhaust mounts on there way so when they are getting fitted I will just have the offending bit of the heat shield removed aslong as its safe to do so.

I'm with this chap, will it be safe removing the heat shield ?

i have removed mine. lets see what happens. cant see how a half rattly hanging bit of foil was helping. its been off for 2 weeks