ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Strut Braces

So my brand new but damaged item is being refunded and the company aren't interested in rectifying it with me so I'm on the hunt for another rear strut brace

I would like to run harnesses off them as a temporary measure until I can afford a half cage (sadly I won't be using the company who I had the strut brace off as planned for obvious reasons)
So it has to be chassis mounted and not top mount mounted (like OMP)

Any suggestions?

Tia

Ocsltd

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 182 Trophy
So my brand new but damaged item is being refunded and the company aren't interested in rectifying it with me so I'm on the hunt for another rear strut brace

I would like to run harnesses off them as a temporary measure until I can afford a half cage (sadly I won't be using the company who I had the strut brace off as planned for obvious reasons)
So it has to be chassis mounted and not top mount mounted (like OMP)

Any suggestions?

Tia

Can I ask which company you used originally?

Cheers

Not safe to run harnesses off a rear strut brace.

Save your money. Rear strut braces don’t do anything performance wise. I added one for purely cosmetics to run under my old cage.

Rear chassis brace then to be more precise

It’s how Renaultsport mount their harnesses in their rally cars so there’s no issue with integrity there

3AF1A8A1-72D5-4204-94F2-E058AA1D15C5.jpeg

They are welded in, with the rear brace you are using the thread on the shocks.

Be safer to save up for a cage and use the standard belts for now.

I said say in the original post I did not want one mounted to the rear top mounts
I’m looking for one CHASSIS mounted
Thought I made that more than clear

Is anyone actually gonna have some some suggestions for me or are we gonna keep going round in circles here

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I said say in the original post I did not want one mounted to the rear top mounts
I’m looking for one CHASSIS mounted
Thought I made that more than clear

Is anyone actually gonna have some some suggestions for me or are we gonna keep going round in circles here

Lol. People don’t have suggestions because;

- they don’t exist, unless you have one custom made in which case you may aswell go the full hog and weld in a cage.

- people are trying to give advice, and flagging the safety concerns and pointlessness of spending money on something which won’t be worth it.

- they don’t exist, unless you have one custom made in which case you may aswell go the full hog and weld in a cage.

- people are trying to give advice, and flagging the safety concerns and pointlessness of spending money on something which won’t be worth it.

Lol.

I’ve found a weichers one but that’s the only one I can find so they do exist.. https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/wiechers-sport-strut-brace/renault/clio-b.html
Am I doing something wrong with asking what other people use? If there are any other brands etc?

The rear brace will form the basis of the cage so it’s not pointless spending in the grand scheme

Even if it was, I’m spending my own money that I honestly earn. Just cos you wouldn’t buy it, if everyone shared the same view and commented that this thread would be useless

I know what I’m talking about from a safety point of view
I am part of a service team for a competitive stage rallying, a sport which is known for its cars with safety features
Granted there are better ways the mount them. I did state this on my initial post it’s a temporary measure. The car is not used competitively or for track days

I won’t be replying to any further comments unless they relate to my post and my initial queries

Last edited:

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Lol.

I’ve found a weichers one but that’s the only one I can find so they do exist.. https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/wiechers-sport-strut-brace/renault/clio-b.html
Am I doing something wrong with asking what other people use? If there are any other brands etc?

The rear brace will form the basis of the cage so it’s not pointless spending in the grand scheme

Even if it was, I’m spending my own money that I honestly earn. Just cos you wouldn’t buy it, if everyone shared the same view and commented that this thread would be useless

I am part of a service team for a competitive stage rallying, a sport which is known for its cars with safety features
Granted there are better ways the mount them. I did state this on my initial post it’s a temporary measure. The car is not used competitively or for track days

I won’t be replying to any further comments unless they relate to my post and my initial queries

I may have missed it, but your Wiechers link shows no rear strut braces that attach to the chassis?

I’m not trying to be difficult. I’m genuinely wondering how you can get a chassis mounted strut brace that isn’t already part of a welded in roll cage.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
I may have missed it, but your Wiechers link shows no rear strut braces that attach to the chassis?

I’m not trying to be difficult. I’m genuinely wondering how you can get a chassis mounted strut brace that isn’t already part of a welded in roll cage.

I don't think you can?
Lol.

What a mardy fucker.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Lol.

So, some digging between some friends who know Clio’s well, admittedly they aren’t part of a rally team, but....

This seems to be the only product that may meet your needs. Not sure I’d go for it over a half cage, but you did ask for suggestions....

422946EC-FE87-49A1-8AE4-7F05497E53DC.jpeg

It won’t form the base of a cage though.

I won’t be replying to anyone unless it’s related to my post. Thnxbai.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
So, some digging between some friends who know Clio’s well, admittedly they aren’t part of a rally team, but....

This seems to be the only product that may meet your needs. Not sure I’d go for it over a half cage, but you did ask for suggestions....

View attachment 1468857

It won’t form the base of a cage though.

I won’t be replying to anyone unless it’s related to my post. Thnxbai.
They're from near me in Wakefield

My mate had the first one they made and then Matt (cant remember his forum name) the ginger b*****d got one made too

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The angle that the harness slopes down at is vitally important. I can’t recall the specific angles, but much below 45 degrees and you’ll compress your spine in a front end impact. That means you’ll be crippled, or potentially worse.

I’m also not part of a rally service team, but I do have a very good understanding of not becoming a cripple because i mounted my harnesses incorrectly.

Search for Schroth harness fitting instructions. You never know, it may stop you needing a wheelchair.

That harness bar pictured above doesn’t even sit flat to the boot floor, and I bet a pound to a pinch of s**t it doesn’t have spreader plates to take the load in an impact. Good luck!!

I sense Darwin’s theory is soon to be exercised.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
The angle that the harness slopes down at is vitally important. I can’t recall the specific angles, but much below 45 degrees and you’ll compress your spine in a front end impact. That means you’ll be crippled, or potentially worse.

I’m also not part of a rally service team, but I do have a very good understanding of not becoming a cripple because i mounted my harnesses incorrectly.

Search for Schroth harness fitting instructions. You never know, it may stop you needing a wheelchair.

That harness bar pictured above doesn’t even sit flat to the boot floor, and I bet a pound to a pinch of s**t it doesn’t have spreader plates to take the load in an impact. Good luck!!

I sense Darwin’s theory is soon to be exercised.
I'm sure they're only meant to be used as a strut brace that ties into the isofix points

Anyone that runs harnesses at that angle clearly sniffs bike seats

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'm sure they're only meant to be used as a strut brace that ties into the isofix points

Anyone that runs harnesses at that angle clearly sniffs bike seats
Anyone who mounts harnesses incorrectly deserves the wheelchair tbqfh.

If you’re going for aesthetics - go for it. But when it comes to safety critical items, there’s absolutely no cutting corners. You’d need to be a coin flicker to do anything less.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone who mounts harnesses incorrectly deserves the wheelchair tbqfh.

If you’re going for aesthetics - go for it. But when it comes to safety critical items, there’s absolutely no cutting corners. You’d need to be a coin flicker to do anything less.
Exactly mate

That's why I've kept the standard seatbelts in mine for now. Hopefully getting a half cage soon

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
If your desperate to get harnesses in you might as well just get some eye bolts into the original seatbelt Mounts?

Then when you get a cage you can just take them out and mount the harnesses on the cage like you say?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I just can’t stress enough how important mounting harnesses correctly is.

It’s not about getting cuntbook or instagay likes - this is about keeping yourself, your passenger and the poor c**t you drive into safe.

It f**king rattles me to the point of micra rage @Scrooge
You truly have a wonderful way with words buddy.. Genuine LOL..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
OP asks question, people suggest things, OP throws toys out of pram because they're not agreeing with OP and not what OP wants to hear. Haven't we had a thread like this before from OP.....
Standard.. [emoji23]

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The car is not used competitively or for track days

So why do you want harnesses then? Do you like not being able to lean forward to see at junctions? Or reach the radio? Or will you leave the shoulder straps loose, and then have worse safety than before?
Sounds like its for posing. Cable tie them to the rear seat brackets and just use your standard belts when driving. Job done.

Ah, shame.

Clio 197
Maybe worth noting cages are for safety, strut braces are to improve handling, as such they don't have much strength in flex , their strength is longitudanal and therefore , not the best basis to anchor harnesses to. You can however buy harness bars for that purpose. Hope that helps.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Out if interest.
Does anyone make a T45 half cage for the Clio? Be lovely to have a proper little Clubsport type car but don’t fancy dumping a load of weight in it. I’m guessing most of the half cages out there are standard 38mm CDS?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Out if interest.
Does anyone make a T45 half cage for the Clio? Be lovely to have a proper little Clubsport type car but don’t fancy dumping a load of weight in it. I’m guessing most of the half cages out there are standard 38mm CDS?
Speak to @Tom Johnson he is Fulcrum Motorsports.. He makes custom cages for our Clios..

The Pink one in his pictures is mine..