ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear subframe captive nuts

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Mine have broken free on both sides, and I remember it being an absolute pain to hold them through the small holes while undoing/doing up the subframe bolts.

Has anyone else found a solution to this - I may need to pull the box out again soon, and would like to address it to make things easier in the future.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
That's not a bad idea to take some of the pain out of it, I suppose.

I was hoping there was some way to hold the nut again :/

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
What is that trick? Can it be used on both sides?

Thinking back, it was only the nearside rear that broke. That had a thin cut out above it, that I managed to get a screwdriver in to lever against the nut.

I could be wrong, but it didn't look like you'd fit a spanner in there?

Many.
On the inside (engine bay side) theres a huge hole, which you can fit a spanner in. I just use a normal 18mm open ended spanner.

phase 1 172
The fronts have 16mm nut inside the chassis leg and a 18mm on the rear

A bit fiddly on the rears

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Usually the fronts that break away. Rears are a pain if they go, but there is spanner access from behind if you can pry the old bits of captive clip out the way