ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear wheel bearing

Can someone validate my diagnosis please?

Rubbing/grinding noise from rear left wheel, increases with speed, gets worse when turning (in either direction). Nothing obvious rubbing.

Wheel bearing?

WRX
Remove centre cap and grease can sometimes be seen too, if bearing is goosed. Normally as above to check spin and listen and wiggle wheel to check for play. Also check for a buckle as this can sound similar.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
drums or discs?
what speed can you hear it at?
brake pads/shoes very low?

normally if its a bearing on the rear left it will get louder when turning right and quieter turning left.

as said jack up the rear and check for movement in the wheel.

It's on a 172 so it's discs. Pads look OK. Only audible at low speed when off the throttle i.e. no other noise to drown it out. Will get it up in the air and yank it about a bit. Is it possible to change the wheel bearing only? Looking around it's a £10 part with one big nut and a circlip fixing it.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
dont sound like a wheel bearing normally can only hear them over 30mph and get louder the faster you go.
you need a press to change the wheel bearings as they are pressed into the disk.

​would also check the rear exhaust mount as thats just behind the nearside rear wheel.

182cup & 172 racecar
It's on a 172 so it's discs. Pads look OK. Only audible at low speed when off the throttle i.e. no other noise to drown it out. Will get it up in the air and yank it about a bit. Is it possible to change the wheel bearing only? Looking around it's a £10 part with one big nut and a circlip fixing it.

​Forget looking at £10 bearings, they will fail.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
If it is a rear wheel bearing then its around £50 if you want genuine. You'll have to pay extra for a garage to remove your old one and press the new one in.

http://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/products/Renault-Clio-182-Wheel-Bearing-(Rear).html

However a new set if discs and pads is £100 for genuine ones. No brainer if you need some as they come with the abs ring and bearings already pressed in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item41718413e5

Thats Renault Wolverhampton (traders in here) eBay site. Or PM G172 (another trader) off here :)

Great info. Thanks chaps. Going to get it up in the air this week and have a poke about.

Exhaust is shagged so I wouldn't rule that out, hadn't occurred to me it could be moving that much.

Are the discs a straightforward swap with no fannying about caused by the bearings?

I bought a single wheel bearing from ECP, can't remember the make but read they were OEM quality. Was only around a tenner.

master,meg, 205 maxi
can anyone from memory remember if a 172 is suposed to have a 5mm spacer on the stub axle behind the brake disc & bearing as i had slight play on one i pulled it to bits( i had already got new pads & discs from renault parts direct the spacer behind the one with play was broken (it also had a grinding noise ) si it has had the other side removed for now to make it even think i am going to make some slightky bigger spacers to replace them???

172 Cup
can anyone from memory remember if a 172 is suposed to have a 5mm spacer on the stub axle behind the brake disc & bearing as i had slight play on one i pulled it to bits( i had already got new pads & discs from renault parts direct the spacer behind the one with play was broken (it also had a grinding noise ) si it has had the other side removed for now to make it even think i am going to make some slightky bigger spacers to replace them???

Make sure you get the original spacer, otherwise you'll fook the rear wheel bearing in no time. Part number is in this thread http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?547079-Rear-disc-spacer

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
^ picture of the little spacers in here:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...disks-is-this-the-spacer&highlight=6000073518

Flat side to bearing/disc and tapered side to car. Retorque hub nut to 175nm

Great info. Thanks chaps. Going to get it up in the air this week and have a poke about.

Exhaust is shagged so I wouldn't rule that out, hadn't occurred to me it could be moving that much.

Are the discs a straightforward swap with no fannying about caused by the bearings?

Yes apart from the above spacer that can catch people out if previously removed from car before they got it

Get rear discs with the bearings already pressed in them and then they're a straight fit yep