ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

relocate battery, more space for airbox!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Has anyone considered relocating the battery to the boot?? It's not as hard as it seems, quite easy actually. This would create a lot more space in the engine bay to place a less restrictive, cooler induction system. I'm surprised no one has tried (that i've heard of anyway!). If anyone has, how did it go? A heat shield could quite easily be placed across the engine bay, protecting the newly located airbox from the radiator/engine/exhaust heat.

Any thoughts anybody?? I think it would be the most efficient means of getting cold/dense air to the engine.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated,

KR~

Lee

BMW M2C
y0z2a's Cup and the GDI demo car both have the battery relocated.

trax_211.jpg

Lionel Richie
We've already done it

its very easy, i've done it on the GDI car and the Yozzasport car

all you need is a battery box, a 5m length of 4wg power cable, a distribution block (fused, no need for this, but its wise to be safe)
i also put in a cut off switch (safety again)

someone will have pictures no doubt

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Wow, yozza's car looks pretty serious!! What is the GDI car? Any more pics of either?? Thanks

Audi TT 225
Insulating the exhaust manifold with some exhaust wrap and putting a heat shield over it should go a long long way towards keeping engine bay temps down.

Getting something like a K&N typhoon or prospeed custom jobby will move the induction cone far away from the engine and its heat.
Or a sealed air box and more heat shielding and big cold air feeds will also work well.

Im thinking of moving my battery to the boot and adding a second one for my ice ;)

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
RichMcc said:
Insulating the exhaust manifold with some exhaust wrap and putting a heat shield over it should go a long long way towards keeping engine bay temps down.

Getting something like a K&N typhoon or prospeed custom jobby will move the induction cone far away from the engine and its heat.
Or a sealed air box and more heat shielding and big cold air feeds will also work well.

Im thinking of moving my battery to the boot and adding a second one for my ice ;)

It helps alot with wrap on the manifold... take a while to do and you do need the manifold out.

Fred fitted the battery box in my clio, we have since done another one for a customer so he can have more ecus in his bay!!!

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
krr019 said:
Wow, yozza's car looks pretty serious!! What is the GDI car? Any more pics of either?? Thanks

yup, its an "angry car".... roars... 225 bhp and very quick.. not much on a track cliowise that can keep with it.

A.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
RichMcc said:

Let me know if you need an Optima battery as we sell them.... got a mate that runs a battery company and he gets good prices on them

how would you put more heat shielding on a standard airbox? what material would you use? Couldnt you relocate the airbox as well and customise it?