ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removed my viper today

182 and 5 GTT
Put the standard air box back on today, as i wanted to see what it sounded like with my exhaust. Throttle response is so much sharper now! Cant believe it! Love the way the viper sounds, but i never realised how much power it sapped! So without a doubt, im back with the standard airbox with panel filter.

Ph1
I can honestly say there's not any amazing amount of difference between my old Viper and my Maxogen!

Its all psychological.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Andyman said:
I can honestly say there's not any amazing amount of difference between my old Viper and my Maxogen!

Its all psychological.

Bullshit! I've got a maxogen and it's leagues better than that crappy floating viper pisch! I lost 2bhp and 6ft/lb of torque.

Good move mate.

VaVa
You're never going to notice much in isolation by just sticking an induction kit on anyway.

On these engines an IK is pointless without some kind of remap imho.

182 and 5 GTT
Andyman said:

Its all psychological.
Well theres a definante diffence between viper and standard airbox. It pulls without any hesitation now!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Laingo said:
You're never going to notice much in isolation by just sticking an induction kit on anyway.

Or rather, tuning this engine is pointless!

VaVa
Well I don't know about pointles... i'd hate to go back to standard now, but it's certainly no f**king cheap and you certainly don't gain that much!!

Ph1
Laingo said:

Totally agree and that imo is where a Viper isnt the best when its not fitted correct ie cold air feed connected rather than pointing at it or not mapped.

An IK is never gonna be the difference between a quick can and a very quick car.

Cant understand why this causes such a debate when the gains either way are so damn small

It makes no noticeable difference imo, i havent had many mods yet only had the car a month but i aint noticed anything different in speed terms at least. It does sound better with the viper but theres no way i could spend nearly 400 quid for a maxogen which isnt much better

Ph1
Shaunbrass said:
It makes no noticeable difference imo, i havent had many mods yet only had the car a month but i aint noticed anything different in speed terms at least. It does sound better with the viper but theres no way i could spend nearly 400 quid for a maxogen which isnt much better

You know when youve got a Maxogen that youve bought the best on the market so you dont have any worries about potentially losing power.

Its worth the money but from my experience of both there isnt an 'amazing' difference between the 2.

ant

yep.
Ali said:
I lost 2bhp and 6ft/lb of torque.

:eek: holy s**t..................call the feds.

thats more than worth it for sound it makes :rasp:

and i'm sure i've gained that back by sticking superlegs on :approve:

Nick_R182 said:
^^^ Not a difference in speed, a difference in acceleration.

Sorry if i used the wrong term, it makes no difference to both.

And for having the best on the market, 400 quid aint worth the bragging rights to me lol

ant

yep.
no, i'm still confused. its either quicker or its not.

if there is no pause where there once was then its quicker?

say we both run 100m in 10secs but your reaction time is 1 sec quicker, then you are 1 sec quicker!

VaVa
Shaunbrass said:
Sorry if i used the wrong term, it makes no difference to both.

And for having the best on the market, 400 quid aint worth the bragging rights to me lol

Nor me... but you're a mug if you pay £400 for one. Including the silicon hose and everything that comes with it, I paid Viper money for mine, so it was a no brainer really.

Laingo said:
Nor me... but you're a mug if you pay £400 for one. Including the silicon hose and everything that comes with it, I paid Viper money for mine, so it was a no brainer really.

If you got it cheaper then thats fair enough, i just saw the price on k-tec i know you can probably get them cheaper but dont think theres enough of a difference between any of them to spend that kinda money.

Much rather inlets etc first

if my insurance lets me anyway :dapprove:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
i Paid less than viper money for mine!

Ant - Regardless of the figure, it felt noticeable slower in my mind! Sounded like a 30£ Ik from halfords to be frank. But you enjoy it son!

Ph1
Laingo said:

So many mixed views on every induction kits performance on the market especially a Vipers.

Bar the cost, when was the last time you heard that about a Maxogen?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
If i'm bein 101% honest and i couldn't get the Maxogen for the money i did. I'd have bought a Panel Filter. End of.

Ph1
First reported uk case of a Viper IK attack.
Dont sl4g the Viper, youve been warned ;)

viperfightsback011.jpg

viper009.jpg

viperfightsback012.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i ditched my viper in the spring, felt it bogged down lower down the rev range..... on installation of the standard airbox with a ITG panel filter and butchered in caf from the viper, the response was much better.

VaVa
Ali said:
If i'm bein 101% honest and i couldn't get the Maxogen for the money i did. I'd have bought a Panel Filter. End of.

Ditto.

Currently none of the other IK's for the Clio are worth bothering with.

Clio 182
Hi All,
I have to admit my viper lasted 1 day on my clio. I am currently in dispute with the retailer cos I think they are a sh*t kit (sorry pipercross). The retailer wont give me my money back!. Apart from taking the car to pieces and removing the acoustic valve or removing a fog lamp where is there to place the cold air feed? My car lost power with the Viper installed and I was pleased to put it back to standard.

The retailer told me he had sold 75 of these kits and I was the 1st to complain lol! It seems like no one likes this kit!

Rich

throttle bodied mk2 172
Nick_R182 said:
Put the standard air box back on today, as i wanted to see what it sounded like with my exhaust. Throttle response is so much sharper now! Cant believe it! Love the way the viper sounds, but i never realised how much power it sapped! So without a doubt, im back with the standard airbox with panel filter.
if you dont remap your ecu after viper or maxogen you cant get optimium result.magic is=air intake kit+exhaust system+inlet match+remap.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I think there's alot of b****cks talked about when it comes to cold air feeds . Imo the cold air feeds on the standard airbox are good enough . The engine sucks air in , its not forced in so if you go for an aftermarket filter , running it down where the original air feed comes from or using the original air feeds is good enough .

Without having used a viper , just looking at the size of it i would say that it would restrict the airflow . I had a k+n apollo and the surface area of the apollo was much smaller than that of the standard filter , similar in size to the viper . It definitely lost power and the 5k kick was nowhere near as predominant as it is now , in fact it was almost gone .

I now have a k+n induction filter in an enclosed aluminium tube that has a larger surface area than the original airfilter and it is a definite improvement over the standard air filter . It pulls really hard with no loss of power throughout the rev range and doesn't suffer from any kind of heat soak from the engine bay .

The Maxogen is probably the best on the market - it is also a very nicely made & good looking piece of kit, but I'm yet to be convinced that it is £400 better than the Renault air-box (std or modified).

I've also read that without re-mapping the car both the Viper & Maxogen will loose power.

I would buy a Maxogen tomorrow if someone could prove it does make a marked improvement over the standard air-box!

Ph1
MRBILLYUK said:
I think there's alot of b****cks talked about when it comes to cold air feeds . Imo the cold air feeds on the standard airbox are good enough . The engine sucks air in , its not forced in so if you go for an aftermarket filter , running it down where the original air feed comes from or using the original air feeds is good enough .

I now have a k+n induction filter in an enclosed aluminium tube that has a larger surface area than the original airfilter and it is a definite improvement over the standard air filter . It pulls really hard with no loss of power throughout the rev range and doesn't suffer from any kind of heat soak from the engine bay .

The more cold air you can shove into the engine the better. Your protecting yours from the idling heat soak problem so why not uprate a cold air feed to get even more cold air than the OE when your on the move?

Although the Viper looks small in size its miles better than any open IK and 'probably' the 2nd best IK you can get after a Maxogen.

Spot on ahmet.

If your forcing more air in you need more fuel if not your gonna run s**t. Yes a ecu 'could' or 'should' adjust to compensate but is it enough? and you wont get the maximum gains out the IK without the car being set up right.

Does it not say in the Pipercross instructions about needing to map the Viper??

Vipers get bad press but its mainly down to folk not fitting them properly