ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing brake dust from alloys

The usual wheel cleaners are effective enough against brake dust, but I have some tough, small, hard black spots on my standard Cup alloys which I want to remove, but no matter how hard I sponge, I cant get them to budge.

Has anybody had any luck with a particular product that made the wheels like new again?

Cheers

try not to use anything that is acid based as it damages the finish. if they are little black spots, it could be tar, so use autoglym tar remover. then wax your alloys, so that the brake dust and general crap sits on the wax instead of the actual rim finish.

cock mobile.
I have AutoGlym alloy wheel cleaner; works very well.

There are a few marks that are stained on that won't come off though. But very small and you can't notice them unless you are crawling!

Mondeo STTDCI
I had hoorible spots on my OZ's. I used Autoglym but they never quite got em all off though it is VERY strong stuff. The only thing to do is use Wonder Wheels from what I read on here.

With my current Turini's I got em boxed brand new and waxed them about 5 times before putting them on. Now everytime I wash they get a layer of wax and that works for me.

I would suggest Wonderwheels, then get em off and wax wax wax.

172 mk1
Wonder wheels is a really bad one to use. If there's any scratches in the laquer on your wheels this stuff starts eating away at them from inside.

I do a lot of detailing in my spare time and find the best stuff to use is either Muc-off or Meguiars.

My 10p worth;)

Lionel Richie
Fairy Power Spray (the stuff your mum/wife/girlfriend/ho use to clean the dishes!!)

seriously!!! spray on, leave for 30min, jet wash off = job done, NO scrubbing required!!!

Mégane RS
Anyone got a clue how to get this off, tried wonder wheels, meguiers hot rims but both of them wont shift it

ozdirtwheel.jpg

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
Fred does that work if your wheels are covered in brake dust from the Performance Friction pads? Wonder wheels wasnt very effective....managed to clean the face of the wheel (took about an hour!!) but the insides are still covered in what i call 'rust dust'.

U/R 200
Forget all ya wonder wheels/autoglym stuff. get ya self a good steamcleaner and just add water! you'll bee supprised how good they are. And when you run out off water get sum more out off the tap! see how much money you save!.

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
Pete will a steam cleaner remove seriously baked on brake dust....actually i guess bonded would be a better term!!

Fred, is that the nielson stuff?