ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing rocker cover & engine mount/bracket

220 Trophy
Long story short I'd like to remove my rocker cover and give it a clean up, but its held in place by the engine mount/bracket on the left hand side. I've heard that removing the bracket interferes with the cams - don't know how true this is and I've never seen underneath the bracket so don't yet know what exactly it covers or connects to.Is there no way that I can just support the weight of the engine with a jack and carefully remove the bracket and also the rocker cover without disturbing whatever's underneath?

Rocker cover has part of something to do with the cams on the underside of it. The belt and pulleys have to come off iirc

220 Trophy
Thanks guys. Bugger, I was hoping I could just leave the cams and belts in place and just carefully remove the rocker cover. I've only fairly recently had a set of cams and new belts put on so I'm not going to pay for a cam service just to clean up the cover. The mount bracket is fine so don’t especially need to remove this. Thanks again.

Clean it in situ, then give a nice coat of paint. Thats what i did.

DSCF1355.jpg

Last edited:
  220 Trophy
Thanks. That's actually the problem, I paid for it to be cleaned and sprayed with crackle paint when I had the cams done, but the crackle finish isn't great (no reflection on the guys who did it, I just think it’s the paint). I wish I'd just asked for normal enamel or similar. What paint did you use and did you paint it on or use a spray-can?

exhaust manifold spray paint, sprayed into the lid then used a tiny brush to apply it.

No brush marks either;)

220 Trophy
Thanks. Looks good by the way. Ok, food for thought then. Think it might end up being one of those jobs I wish I hadn't started if I attempt to get the old crackle paint off. Presumably you left the sparkplugs in and just painted down into the 'tubes' a bit?

yeh just removed the ht leads.

Thanks ,by the way it took me near on 3 hours just to paint it 2 coats though.