ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Filter vs Pipercross

Renault Laguna Coupe

Itll soon be 12,000 service time, and Renault will change my air filter and charge me a fortune for the standard item. Theres a PiperX panel filter for 32 quid. Is there any advantage at all in getting the PiperX, or should I just let Renault fit a new standard element?

Leon Cupra

I know Vauxhall will bin a preformance filter if you dont tell them to leave it in and put a STD item back in. This happened to a mate on his Cav 16v.

Renault Laguna Coupe

I know that if I tell them not to change the filter they wont - so come on Petrolheads - are these performance filters really any good???

Rs197r27

Mike
I have ordered a piperx filter hopefully it will turn up soon so i will be able to let you know soon. I have had these type of filters before and they do help around the mid range.

Mike

Ive had a K&N element in my Mk1 172 for about 10000 miles now - I took it out recently and replaced it with a new paper filter and it initially seemed better. However, I noticed that within a month or so the engine didnt seem to pull as cleanly in the mid / high rev range as it had, so I replaced it with the (still rather dirty) K&N and bingo! Happier at around 4000rpm+. The car just feels slightly more response and generally a little more free-revving at high rpm. Thats it really and Im sure theres little/no actual performance difference...

Id honestly say that theres not a huge performace difference between a clean paper filter and an aftermarket replacement, but the K&N certainly seems to retain its flow even when far dirtier. Thats just my feelings anyway, dont know if anyone else agrees, and Im also not sure if its enough of a difference to warrant paying out the extra lolly on insurance!

Matt

Renault Laguna Coupe

Thanx Matt - RG will you post when youve got your PiperX please Ill be interested to hear what you think.