ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Laguna BTCC Super Touring Track Car Project

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Looking forward to seeing what Sam comes up with. He's an absolute wizard when it comes to cages!

197 clio 16v
So tomorrow the laguna is being collected and delivered up to me. The car is near Bristol and I am in Newcastle so thought it best to send a trailer for it.

Im seriously excited to set eyes on it and I'm currently trying to find somewhere to send it ideally local to the north east of England to get a cage sorted.

oh and ive just purchased these seats, I will only be using one so the other will be up for sale.

View attachment 1523560View attachment 1523561View attachment 1523562

Size? price?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Surely a v6 of some sort would be more suited? I just feel like the 182 engine wouldn’t be suited?

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
How hard is it to relocate the block further back like the touring cars?
very. You need to have a totally different gearbox as they ran the driveshafts in front of the block and tilted the engines forwards so they could run the air to the valves in as straight a line as possible. Very clever bits of packaging to effectively make a mid engined chassis.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
very. You need to have a totally different gearbox as they ran the driveshafts in front of the block and tilted the engines forwards so they could run the air to the valves in as straight a line as possible. Very clever bits of packaging to effectively make a mid engined chassis.

Hewland sequential box iirc.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
This will test my flaky memory but I think the later cars were all Xtrac 406.
Early cars before development went mental used the Hewland HP2000 and used standard engine positioning. I used to have a few of those due to a silly moment where money and stupid aspirations peaked. Never did build a car to use it lol

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
This will test my flaky memory but I think the later cars were all Xtrac 406.
Early cars before development went mental used the Hewland HP2000 and used standard engine positioning. I used to have a few of those due to a silly moment where money and stupid aspirations peaked. Never did build a car to use it lol

Think you might be right.

Seen a 1994 Laguna up for sale recently for £140k and that had a Hewland in.

Was probably 1996>On they started using the Xtrac.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I think things started to go really mental from 1997. I took some photos of a Mondeo for a mag feature a couple of years ago and the engine was in a semi-sane position. Ride height was still mental though:

IMG_20181106_120437.jpg
IMG_20181106_123413.jpg
IMG_20181106_123727.jpg
IMG_20181106_125348.jpg
IMG_20181106_125405.jpg

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Certainly nothing like the drive shaft going through the V of the engine like it did on the Prodrive-built Mondeo at the turn of the century :LOL:

_MG_0551.JPG

Or the Primera, where the steering column was basically horizontal, with a 90-degree joint to get down to the rack...

_MG_0563.JPG

_MG_0576.JPG

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
No, every man and his dog are banging bloody k20's into everything. If you must go Honda at least man up with the k24. But ideally for me it wants a Renault derived v6 on bodies

getikte

ClioSport Club Member
I've had to talk myself out of a K20.....

I've even got a spare engine sat there after my EP3 shat itself at croft last year :(

But I keep edging more to the F4R simply because renualt. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_20200829_114935_232.jpg

20210213_142236.jpg

20210213_151502.jpg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Depending how deep your pockets are, a PMS 240+ engine package would be good.
Big £££ for a 240bhp motor and supporting mods though and a fragile F4R at that level. Oncost of rebuilds wouldn't be cheap either, not to mention being a pain in the arse.
I totally get why someone would want to keep it Renault, but given the amount of work already required, a K20 will be chucking out 240 in its sleep.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Big £££ for a 240bhp motor and supporting mods though and a fragile F4R at that level. Oncost of rebuilds wouldn't be cheap either, not to mention being a pain in the arse.
I totally get why someone would want to keep it Renault, but given the amount of work already required, a K20 will be chucking out 240 in its sleep.

As would I... Well K24/27

But I don't think he's going to do that.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
tough call, id be going Renault as i bet 99% of it will bolt in with Renault parts. 200bhp can be had without too much trouble (depending, some engine's are dogs) If i wanted power as well as a high revving sound track k24 frank would be a very good shout, would need everything custom though.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
I just don’t see an F4R cutting it in a car that will be 150-200kg+ heavier than a race/track Clio. Unless you get very happy with the grinder.

Either way it’ll be an epic project and I look forward to its progress

getikte

ClioSport Club Member
To be honest its 100% going to be a renault F4R engine. I really want to stay away from a boosted set up so that ruled out the megane conversion.

I do like a K20 but the work involved in fitting and what not really put me off along with the fact that I'd really like to keep it a renault engine.

To me pulling the engine out of the 182 I have makes the most sense. I'm not after a big power build so low 200s will do me fine. Plus who doesn't love the noise of a cammed up F4R on bodies.

The laguna will be going on an extensive diet, combine with the AST suspension, final drive and diff im pretty confident it will hold its own on track at that spec

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
As I mentioned on a previous page, the 1994 touring car was 950-975kg.

So if you can get yours down to that, it'll be just like having a Clio.

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
Those pictures of the BTCC car show just how much work was done suspension wise. You can see how much of the front wing is cut away to accommodate the wheels and ride height

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Such a sick project.

lazy heavy v6..... nooooooo, screaming itb f4r in a stripped out laguna makes the right noises to give most here a hard on 😁

The Renault Peugeot V6 is a very decent wet liner ali block, ali head V6. They are probably a lot lighter than you would think.

And even if they were 200Kg more than an F4r on ITB's they sound like this:

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Thats mental, they got the engine so low they needed to put the driveshaft through the V?

Were these duratec derived?

Yeah. It was based around the Mazda V6 used in the Probe and MX-6 I think, as you could use any engine from the group at the time. Apparently it was completely reengineered though, and the heads were ridiculously heavily modified. That's what a £10m annual budget does for you though :ROFLMAO: