ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Laguna BTCC Super Touring Track Car Project

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I was actually in the one-seat camp personally :D But looking forward to this.

I’ve been considering building an S40 of that era for my racing endeavours but none of them from that era had a 5 banger as standard, I think the BTCC one was lifted from the 850.

getikte

ClioSport Club Member
So its on its way!

The driver is heading 300 ish miles up to me in the laguna and I assume turning many heads on the way!

Just look at it!
IMG-20210226-WA0055.jpg

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I was actually in the one-seat camp personally :D But looking forward to this.

I’ve been considering building an S40 of that era for my racing endeavours but none of them from that era had a 5 banger as standard, I think the BTCC one was lifted from the 850.
You just reminded me of a video about the 850 engine, very clever interpretation of the rules by TWR

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You just reminded me of a video about the 850 engine, very clever interpretation of the rules by TWR

Yeah TWR were doing some clever s**t, but they were far from the only ones. The supertourers were a full blown manufacturer backed arms race.

IMO it needs to be the full Nescafe livery, go hard or go home!

getikte

ClioSport Club Member
Its here!

And I've already put it to work. Today is also the day I'm selling my daily driver so we took the laguna down to Wetherby to meet the new owner of my E92 M3. I'm really going to miss that car.

Also, a very very nice porsche came to join the party.

20210227_091009.jpg
20210227_114826.jpg

exige
I was watching this on eBay! A bit too much going on in my world to take it on, but was thinking exactly the same... Full nescafe track car! What you thinking engine wise? Good luck, and hope to see the finished result one day.

getikte

ClioSport Club Member
So engine wise. I've got a 182 lying around that I have been getting ready for sale over the past couple of months but its needed quite a lot to get it up to standard and its still a little way off. So for this reason its now a donor car and I'm going to try and use its engine and box all be it with cams, a set of ITBs a diff and final drive. And also see what other bits can be transferred over.

Going to be a voyage of discovery thats for sure. The laguna is back at the lockup now so hopefully some of the fun can start Monday.

20210227_133811.jpg

20210227_134149.jpg

20210227_134205.jpg

172 Ph1, Meg GT220
It was, without doubt the best era for BTCC. Good old chavaliers, E36’s, Alfas etc that looked pretty much the same as what you could buy in the show room!

IIRC the Nissans and Laguna’s were the only true 300hp+ n/a power units as well.

the reverse head swindon c20xe in the cavs and vectras were over 300bhp too

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I went to the BTCC at Oulton years back, they had a special BTCC Super Tourers race on. Nescafe Laguna three cars in.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
What a phenomenal thing!

would the 2 litre not be a bit gutless in that thing? Or are they quite light

P-Co

ClioSport Club Member
  Hyundai Santa Fe
Subscribed, this reminds me of TOCA for the PS [emoji23] the Laguna was always my car of choice, can't wait to see this progress [emoji1303]

getikte

ClioSport Club Member
so little update for you.

After taking the Laguna on a 200 mile round trip to hand over my M3 on the weekend I can confirm its engine is totally gutless.
Luckily as I mentioned before I do have a 182 lying around so that is now the donor car for this project.

After a chat with both fulcrum and ARC in regards to a cage the Laguna is booked in with ARC for the start of April. The decision to use ARC was totally down to timescale, I'm a little impatient and really want this project to be cracking on at a decent rate. Cage wise I will update with the final plans when i have them but its going to be a pretty close replica to the super touring cage.

In the mean time I will be pulling the old engine out and seeing how the F4R fits and what will need doing to accommodate that. Further plans for the engine are a set of cams and ITB,s as well as sending the box away for some final drive work and a diff.

currently using my old PH1 engine for inspo! wish id never sold that little car!

155877185_229442005541555_7180265214689468130_n.jpg

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Would a more modern Megane RS turbo engine not be a better option for this than the Clio engine?