ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Mégane R26.R VS Clio V6 Autocar

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
In terms of looks, you are correct (even though I think the V looks fairly rubbish). You just have to think of the Meg as the Wayne Rooney of cars - pretty damn ugly but you'd be silly not to pick it/him for performance.

Yeah it may perform better but looks and sound wise the V6 is miles ahead. I have a 172 and an mx5 would handle, poss quicker than mine but i dont care. I can appreciate the meg but the Vee is immense.

astra coupe on coilovers
Drivers Choice = R26-R
Hairdressers Choice = V6

Only a joke i love the V6 but the R26-R is faster and with a RSTuning Remap and 270BHP...lol the V6 would not stand a chance (sorry vee boys) you needed a turbo and engine in right place

Some that say get a lotus etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times

Well it spanked the Exige & Exige S around "the ring" the list of hot hatches it wasted by at least 30 seconds is long...Focus RS/VXR/Type-R/R32/ST/GTI DSG/S2000

Not to mention beating BoxterS/991 (993)/335/S5/350Z/NSX/04 Impreza/E46 M3/E36 M3/R32 Skyline/Lexus ISF

Just to answer a few of the above points

You can get black wheels on them from Reanult

The build run is more limited that the V6 so the R26-R will be very rare indeed and you can get it in LY only 230 will be in the UK and many are goign stright to racetracks

You wont get a new R26-R Sub 19K maybe just under £20K (basic) if you really twist the dealer I think there is 1 white one for sale in UK at the mo all others are speical order. But no one will want a basic car...

With the roll cage Toyo 888's/black wheels/pearl paint its more like £22K (i was quoted (£22224.50) delivered so dont bother trying to book a test drive
so its faster round the ring what does that mean let me think NOTHING ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
even mor of a reason to have one over an exige or caterham (as you said). and more practical.

Huh?! :S As a track car? Exige or Megane!? Howz the megane pratical, other than being able to throw some stuff in the boot! Both were designed for track not praticality!! And somehow i think i'd rather have the LOTUS!

lol @ CS...There are better cars than the Clio's and Megane's! SHOCKER! ;)

MCS R56
What would she say about the Meg? Red wheels and stickers?? hmmm classy.
Fact is the Vee is a mini Supercar.

Prove this fact, please! It is most certainly not a supercar.

It's maybe exotic as they are not at all common but the only other similarity is it's rear wheel drive. It's a Renault CLIO with a large engine near the back.

A Carrera GT is a supercar. A Zonda is a supercar. A Ferrari Enzo is a supercar. A Renualt Clio is not a supercar.

What's your dream car list?....V6, Honda Jazz, Ford Mondeo TDCi, Ford Puma (Racing of course)???

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Prove this fact, please! It is most certainly not a supercar.

It's maybe exotic as they are not at all common but the only other similarity is it's rear wheel drive. It's a Renault CLIO with a large engine near the back.

A Carrera GT is a supercar. A Zonda is a supercar. A Ferrari Enzo is a supercar. A Renualt Clio is not a supercar.

What's your dream car list?....V6, Honda Jazz, Ford Mondeo TDCi, Ford Puma (Racing of course)???

WRONG! Your list above are Hypercars...Ferrari's, Lambo's etc are supercars...

I just like winding you guys up! ;) But In my heart the Vee is a Sub Zero Hypercar.

MCS R56
Yeah it may perform better but looks and sound wise the V6 is miles ahead. I have a 172 and an mx5 would handle, poss quicker than mine but i dont care. I can appreciate the meg but the Vee is immense.

Okay, fair enough, if all you care about is cosmetics and sound.

I like the Megane. In white with red wheels, decals and carbon its nice. But id rather have a Vee. Ive never been on track in my life and I couldnt cope with no radio..

Maybe the V6 doesnt handle? maybe it isnt as fast as a Ferrari? maybe it is just a Clio? Giveafuck. I still love them. and Id love the attention. My car gets loads when its clean, driving an Acid/Liquid V6 would be awesome!

However, Alistair my young, haggis eating, cave dwelling chum, you really really really need to calm down with the love for it! lol.. It borders on irrational :p

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I like the Megane. In white with red wheels, decals and carbon its nice. But id rather have a Vee. Ive never been on track in my life and I couldnt cope with no radio..

Maybe the V6 doesnt handle? maybe it isnt as fast as a Ferrari? maybe it is just a Clio? Giveaf**k. I still love them.

However, Alistair my young, haggis eating, cave dwelling chum, you really really really need to calm down with the love for it! lol..

Am passionate! lol! Whats wrong with that!

astra coupe on coilovers
put it this way more poeple look at a vee driving past imo and i own either car so cant realy comment on performance and i should hope the r26r would beat a vee it has a turbo and more bhp and also a bigger bloody price tag thats just my thoughts people might not agree but i dont gives 2 fcuks ;)

MCS R56
WRONG! Your list above are Hypercars...Ferrari's, Lambo's etc are supercars...

I just like winding you guys up! ;) But In my heart the Vee is a Sub Zero Hypercar.

Will have to agree to disagree. Veyron is a hypercar, along with CCX Konig-thingy (cannot spell). The rest are supercars. And even if you what you say is true, the wee hatchback from France don't come close to Ferrari or Lambo in any category, imo!

I'm not wound up, just enjoying the banter. :rasp:

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Read it again...If you don't own either car you can't comment on what there like...I presume the R26R is very good! If it's anything like the R26 it'll be a crakcer. But i know the Vee in and out, therefore my opinion is valid!

Why am i explaining myself?! lol

But you don't know the megane in and out so still can't comment, doesn't matter how many times ya read ya post, your point should be invalid cos you won't have a bad word said against a v6 cos your used to all the flaws they have, bet you would be blown away if you drove the megane. And for the record I like both cars and would own both if I could afford either of them.

Barge
But you don't know the megane in and out so still can't comment, doesn't matter how many times ya read ya post, your point should be invalid cos you won't have a bad word said against a v6 cos your used to all the flaws they have, bet you would be blown away if you drove the megane. And for the record I like both cars and would own both if I could afford either of them.

good point. well made.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

I've driven the R26 on the road and on track it is CRACKIN! SOund pisch but f**k me it goes and goes well!

Vee's Flaws! neva! ;) Seriously i would let you have a go! it's not the lardy shitter you portray it to be! KW V3's, R888's soon and buckets and you've got a very capable car! Will easily go round the ring in 8:45...And it's not on the limit!!

3 x Renaults + Lexus
Kyle Sxi Quote” so its faster round the ring what does that mean let me think NOTHING”

The ring is a benchmark for many cars and also used by many car manufactures for tuning their cars. Some (many) would say it is the ultimate piece of road anywhere in the world. I see you drive a Vauxhall so ask them what the VXR Nurburgring edition about?

Kyle Sxi “r26r would beat a vee it has a turbo and more bhp and also a bigger bloody price tag”

Wrong again the Meg has a turbo but less BHP and it cost less new......

AR....

Yep lots of opinions from ppl that probably have not driven/owned the V6 or Meg on road and track but I have...

Don’t think many own a R26-R and Clio V6 the R26-R has been out under 1 month give us a chance.... I am probably getting my Pearl White R26-R in April (no it wont look like a taxi) so I will tell you then which is the best then (there are none for test drive) Renault just confirmed my price..

In standard mode the Meg vs V6 are very similar it’s just easier to extract more power from the Meg thanks to the turbo and RSTuning. So if the Meg is so good I can imagine the R26-R is amazing well EVO think so anyway.

But what I do know is the Meg (not the R26-R) is faster and handles better (but not much) at all times over the V6 on track and road so I assume the R26-R will be slightly quicker still... But my Meg has been mapped (270+ and other bits) and the V6 standard is slower around round Oulton Park than the tuned Meg

Not saying you can’t achieve similar feelings in both cars it’s just feels safer and more competent.

But the V6 what a car I would not agree its "unique" there are more V6's than R26-R's but it sure is special car and does have a looks but they are not for all.

The 172/182 feel nothing like the V6 but I have seen some track prepared Clios for half the money of a V6 and Meg are very quick and look great fun more fun than smashing in your pride and joy.

The V6 is less forgiving than the Meg but like all cars it needs learning and respect. I don’t know what the residuals will be on the R26-R looking at Clio & Meg prices the only one that seems to hold their value is the V6 which says something we will see what happens to the 26-R prices in 5 years it might be the last real mental hot hatch are real limited supply classic.
IMG_5149-2.jpg

3 x Renaults + Lexus
got some oulton videos of both on track and side by side drag will upload to you tube later

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^ Sexi! Best colour too!

Go for what you want fella! - If you like the R go for it...I'm just sayin it's not for me! But to say it's better( I know your not) is balls! Perception of whats better is completely a matter of opinion. I drive mine HARD! Ask Justin and a Adey...We were giving it some at the ring! Granted mines in a bubble for winter but i do give it stick!

IMO your F1 is better than the R26R...To swap would be DAFT!! Not consider KW's and buckets? I bet you you'd go as fast!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I've driven the R26 on the road and on track it is CRACKIN! SOund pisch but f**k me it goes and goes well!

Vee's Flaws! neva! ;) Seriously i would let you have a go! it's not the lardy s**tter you portray it to be! KW V3's, R888's soon and buckets and you've got a very capable car! Will easily go round the ring in 8:45...And it's not on the limit!!

I don't doubt I would love driving a v6 I'm a real car enthusiast I just didn't get when ya said 172 are pish which is cup model included which I have owned for 2 years and there clearly not or I'd be the first to say and get rid of it, maybe if we ever meet you drive mine and I drive yours.;)

P.S every1s opinion is valid.

I used to have a Megane F1 my mate used to drive a Mk2 Vee both equally great car's. Can you compare the R26R to a Vee, I don't think you can as one is a focused track car the other a road focused uber hatch.

If you had a gun to my head and said pick....I'd have a Vee, but then again I like the Megane, hmmmm ok the Vee.....oh f**k I don't know.

3 x Renaults + Lexus
There is nothing really between the two cars they are both great... The V6 is a car every time i look at it i love it more I think it is more of a classic long term becauseTBH if i wanted to track a car really hard I would get a 182 CUP and get it track ready. I think many of the 230 x R26-R coming to the UK will end up for a track day experience car and why not £20Kish and ready to go with no mods needed (except the RSTuning remap) lol

I first fell in love with Renault Turbo 2 when i was a teen so the V6 was just a better version of the dream. Had a 5 Turbo Raider and a Willams both i never looked after should have kept them perfect but you live and learn.

I am a massive fan of both the V6 and the Megs but there is no doubt the V6 gets far more looks than the Meg it is "special" and it gets respect from most road users the Meg ppl just want to race you and they are always out gunned

I had the first R26-R CF bonnet in the country and the quality is amazing and so light the TI exhaust system is a joke at over £2K dont think i will be getting that.

I am just glad Renault have the best range of Hot Hatches I just hope they keep em coming

meg15.jpg

I dont see how people can compare these two. One is a dedicated track car, and the other is more of a 'unique' car. Both special in there own way, but both totally different.

The Vee is far from being a drivers car, sure its good, but its miles off being Exige good. Standard I found it to be pretty wallowy, with not a lot of feedback. Too big a steering wheel and the same crap driving position in the Clio RS's. Steering felt very light imo.

But I still love them! In fact would probably buy one, but if i was in the market for a pure track car, I wouldnt.

But to say it's better( I know your not) is balls! Perception of whats better is completely a matter of opinion.

Right, so which is better is a matter of opinion (I agree) yet anyone who thinks the Megane is better is talking balls? In other words you're right, and anyone who disagrees just has a wrong opinion. LoLz keep digging fella. Hell, apparently I'm clueless & blind because I don't like the looks of the V6. Try looking up 'opinion' in the English dictionary ;)

TBH the video wasn't ever a competition between the V6 and the Megane anyway. It's just turned into that through the usual paranoid, over compensating V6 love :D Awesome banter though, loves it TBH ;)

R26
This always makes me laugh there are just soooo many experts on here. Anyway, I am not one of them, I just love my RSports as well as some other cars I drive (V70, megane CC, Clio Mrk III).

Originally I had a 182, alongside the T5 then I decided to change the 182 (which I loved despite it's insatiable appetite for discarding bits of itself).

At this point I had to consult the good lady as well as my mates who occasionally accompany me in my motors.

Before getting the 182 I had thought that eventually I would get a V6 (Phase II, never a fan of the phase I) when they came down to a realistic price for what they are. However, when the time came, my missus point blankly refused to allow me to get one. She thought, no, she insisted that to the un-trained eye (almost 99% of the population) it looked like I had taken the 182 down to halfords on a saturday morning and let some person loose on it.

Crazy woman I thought.... :( I will go get a second opinion, bro I'm thinking of buying one of these? I could not fathom it - he said (minus a few words) almost the same thing. Right - work colleagues what do reckon? same bloody response (again these people do not know about RSport cars)

So in the end I weighed matters up. These people that I have consulted don't know much about RSport cars except my one's which they have been in. So if they are anything to go by, then this is what most of the population is going to think when they look at me and point. So as much as I loved the V6 I could not deal with thinking that the only peiople who were going to appreciate my car for what it is are the people who are going to follow me home and steal it!

Anyway. Love the car, long in the tooth now though so in the end opted for the R26.

I'm not a fan of the Megane's at all, I just don't think anything comes close to the V6, its just an insane car, whether it drives well or not, or how fast it is (or isn't), its awesome!

I myself will own a V6 one day (;

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's amazing. I'm sure there's a gazillion posts where Ali says people that haven't lived with/driven a Vee shouldn't comment on it. And yet he's got some strong opinions on the R26R. I'd wager it will be better to drive than a standard Vee. And be considerably faster. Won't look/sound as nice, or have the feel good factor, but horses for courses.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
The R26R will be a good bit better to drive.

Depends on what you like or can afford though

Clio V6 255
Right. I own a Vee phase 2 and have driven a couple of Meganes so hope I am allowed to comment.
Vee wins hands down on looks. It also wins on acceleration and top speed. Handling,would have to go the megane as it really sticks to the road but at a price. It is noisy (road noise), it has no stereo and lets face it a very basic inteior. Granted the Vee is not the most complex interior but it has a few bits on it and you can throw the other half in without her moaning.
Hats off to the megane for achieving such a quick time round the ring but with all the setup on it you would expect it to.
In terms of comparissons it ends there. The vee is a 6 cylinder engine mid engined rear wheel drive car. Never going to perform like a FWD 4 cyl. If you want a hot hatch get the megane as that is exactly what it is and drives like one. If you love the look of a hot hatch and want something RWD then get the CLio. Yes you cant thrash it around the roads or drive it like a lune but from my experience fast driving is not about being on the edge all time. I used to have a GT Turbo which was exactly like that. The vee is more about planning the corner and then using the power sensibly while keeping you on the edge of your seat. If you like cars then you will appreciate both of them for what they are.

As for the review. Take it with a pinch of salt. bloody press.... lol

fair points phil and good to hear people from both camps

not wanting to argue, but not sure it wins on acceleration and top speed tho...?

so it is, wasnt aware of that. :)

i think the Vee is gorgeous but i cant see why people think the meg is ugly??! sob sob i think mines beautiful, STOP BEING MEAN ;)

jokes aside, the R26R looks focused and i think in RB (which no1 else seems to liike or be buying) is the best colour combo

you have to work to get the meg looking tasty (as one of two elements arent that eye catching as the Vee) but if you spend a penny here and there on cosmetics they looks brilliant