ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault sat-nav or alternative

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

On the 182, Renault offer a sat.nav option built in, for £1,500. Do you think its worth it or would you buy an alternative, such as a combined DVD player/sat nav, with a pop-out screen?

I say its worth every penny! Im actually looking into getting it to play dvds, dont know how hard that will be!

I dont know tbh, ive wanted to do this for ages but never had the funds before. I think roamer may have an idea... i might give him a PM me thinks!

Jas - is that you getting a 182 then? ;)

1500 sheets is a fair stack of money when you could get an aftermarket one with dvd aswell for about the same!

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Quote: Originally posted by 172gal on 17 January 2004

Jas - is that you getting a 182 then? ;)
possibly, but im considering lots of alternatives (other manufacturers), and might still end up keeping the 172!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

You could buy a better system than renualt supplies.. but it would be factory.. so will look out of place with the rest of the car..

I had a sat nav system in my car (aswell as an xbox) but it means fitting one of the flip out screens.. unless you just want voice guidance with simple arrow directions then you could get a more factory looking unit.

For the amount of times you will use sat nav it isnt really worth £1500 but when you do use it, its the best thing ever.. very cool and always gets you where you need to go.

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Quiet now Pete - in my defence I had drunk an awful lot of alcohol :p most of which was your fault!!! ;)

S2000

Lol actually you do phone just about every time you come up J to check which junction it is. How many times you been up here now??????? :eek:

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

slugger - no more than 20 times, give me a break, is it pick on Jas day today ;)

pete - can that system also shout loudly at me when I miss my turn?

Plumb it into your stereo and it might do, never messed a round with it that much used the GPS as a backup to directions.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

is the one there offering the large colour screen one(which is good)or the black/white screen one which uses arrows and the road names(very basic and not that good)

Have a look at this site :-

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/index.phphttp://www.pocketgps.co.uk/index.php

Before purchasing think why you want it and how you intend ti input data.

post code, road name, grid ref etc.

At present I have to input grid. refs. for about three hundred sites and I use my lap top, program and G.P.S. aerial.

This has worked very well as it gives talking directions and you also know where you are at any one time.

The main down side is that it sits on the passenger seat so I cannot take passengers.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I thought about this when i got mine, but it was £1500 for something that i rarely use, so i bought wayfinder

http://www.wayfinder.comwww.wayfinder.com.

BUT! you can add a tv/dvd to the 182 setup as its a vdo unit

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

How easy would it be to add a DVD to it Tom? Whats needed?

Buy a Origin blue B2, so that gives you radar and GPS camera avoidance. Itt also warns you of congestion charging zones and even schools of you like. Someone shouts at you too.

But what about the Sat Nav I hear you cry, origin are releasing a new cradle which you can plug into a PDA/Laptop. So, thats camera detection, sat nav and if you use a laptop - DVD too ;)

The Renault one is the VDO Dayton MS5000.. which is about £1400.. so £1500 for it all integrated isnt bad at all!

It is very good.

Jas, its soooo worth it mate, the resolution of the screen is really good, and if you get a disc with TMC codes on it youll have live road traffic updates showing on the map with detailed info in the info screen :)

And adding dvd playback to it is done by adding the TV tuner unit and then getting something like a car dvd player or PS2 put in and away you go :D

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

The Sat nav in roamers car really helped us when we came down for the Chelmsford christmas meal, it warned us about stationarty traffic on the M25 about 13 miles before it, and led us off through Enfield.. shes a very loud woman who does shout at you to turn.. (but you can turn her.. softer, softer hehehe) and if you miss the turn she says to take, she will plan another route for you. Id love it in my car..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I wish renault would sell the system as an aftermarket unit, cause I like to keep a factory look to the interior.

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 17 January 2004

I wish renault would sell the system as an aftermarket unit, cause I like to keep a factory look to the interior.
Just buy the VDO System and then get the top dash? Im sure someone said it included the screen or something.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Its the screen + the controls that it would need to come with.. and is there a seperate speaker for it ? or is it hooked up to the stereo.

You must be able to get the bits from renault... what happend if you had a 172 with it in, and the screen broke or something.. they must be able to replace it.

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

ok, if i get a 182 im persuaded to get the sat nav option. cheers to all for your help.

Volvo S60 T5

I got a vdo ms5000 system in my car, the screen sits just above the ashtray, paid 600.00 for it off ebay, you might want to have a look at this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3071506640&category=14946&rd=1http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3071506640&category=14946&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3060024837http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3060024837

This system is the mutts nutts and looks like it might be going cheap.

The built in factory system is good , but Im sure you can add extra inputs for the screen(I may be wrong).

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

hmmm. wonder if anythings wrong with it? seems like a good price.

Yep, the VDO is great - and its the same as the Renault.

Very often on Ebay.. and very good prices - some go for a lot, some go for cheap.. just luck I guess!

E90

Ive got Phillips carin system, factory fitted, but the screen is not intergrated like the new 182, it sits on top of the centre console. I drive 50000 ks a year and maybe only use it once or twice a month, good on long trips and motorway journeys,but its worth its weight in gold in citys, but its often too slow, and youve past the junction before the b**ch tells you to turn. IMO not worth the cash, unless your forever driving in big citys.

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

youve past the junction before the b**ch tells you to turn LMAO :D

dk

911 GTS Cab

I have an Ipaq 2210 with Bluetooth GPS unit, got it as a freebee through work and it is the best feature ever, I even use it when I know where I am going as it lets you know your eta, and also what speed you are actually travelling at (I now know that my speedo is 5mph out at 75mph, which invariably means that I drive faster now as I have bit to spare!). It is a 3D view rather than the top down view for most of them and has the woman directing me, its by TomTom.

Mine cost around £700 and sits in a cradle attached to the windscreen which means I can take it in any car with me which is very useful! The only thing to watch is the coated windscreen as you have to have it in the gap at the bottom of the screen for the gps to work which is why I have the bluetooth version so I can put it anywhere.

I thought about the Renault option but its really expensive for the time that you are going to have the car and you will never get the money back when you come to sell it unless you use it every day and get a lot of use from it.

Wot u want is what i have just started as a project!!! A pioneer AVH-6500DVD motorised screen+dvd player £1800 v nice and then for another £1000 the sat nav unit!