ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Repair or not

Ph1 172 & Leon Cupra
Well after just 4 laps of Donnington on friday this is how my ph1 ended up
photo 1-3.JPG

photo 2-3.JPG

photo 3-2.JPG

photo 4-2.JPG

It went without any warning at all which is anoying scince ive spent a small furtune on freshening things up and the milage is only on 96k
Question is do I source another engine for it or break it and buy another 172/cup etc....

Ph1 172 & Leon Cupra
Yeah true its a ph quick...well it was haha
would there be any preautions youd take when fitting a new engine ie rod bolts ?
would be interested to know the cause of it really

BMW 320d SE
Mine dropped a valve on a track day last month. Sourced a replacement engine on here and got it fitted. It's back up and running now. Just change the belts and clutch as its easier with the engine out.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I did the same a few months ago in my ph1. We bought a doner ph1 and took the engine out. Car was bought for £550 which we made back on stripping the car, plus I had a new engine fitted. Added some ARP bolts for extra strength.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I think it just blew a rod. If you look a few pages after we take apart the sump and it had shattered a lot of the engine out! Definitely get some ARP rod bolts to prevent it happening again.

A 2nd hand engine is the cheapest option IMO.

Ph1 172 & Leon Cupra
I think it just blew a rod. If you look a few pages after we take apart the sump and it had shattered a lot of the engine out! Definitely get some ARP rod bolts to prevent it happening again.

A 2nd hand engine is the cheapest option IMO.
Just had a read through your thread glad to see it running again after
Will deffo put some arp bolts in for piece of mind, just need to find a good engine now or donor car

Ph1 172 & Leon Cupra
Just a quick question, whats the going rate for a 172/182 engine?
They seem to vary quite abit some being nearly as much as a car !
Also if anyone knows of a reasonably priced one then let me know :)

Ph1 172 & Leon Cupra
Ok cool, yeah that sounds pretty good, just desperate to get it running again as I miss driving the thing!