ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replaced alternator now stop and battery lights

BlackGold 182
Hi guys I replaced my alternator on my 172 with air con at the weekend and all looked good all running okay but then realised the stop and battery light is on now

The alternator is second hand from renparts and is the right 110amp.
I have checked the earth earth on it and is nice and tight.
The bolts for alternator are tight.
I've checked the exciter cable and plug and in the plug the yellow part did pop out when removing old alternator but pushed back in and looked fine. Could anyone get a photo of inside their plug?

I will be testing the voltage shortly as need new battery for volt meter

Running out of ideas and getting frustrated

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
See what voltage you're getting when running, then go from there.

If it's anything less than 14v+, it's no good.

BlackGold 182
I found these wires looking a bit suspicious, anyone k ow what these wires do or are for and if it could effect charging

Attachments

• 20220207_123315.jpg
    20220207_123315.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 115
  • 20220207_123255.jpg
    20220207_123255.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 99

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I found these wires looking a bit suspicious, anyone k ow what these wires do or are for and if it could effect charging

Not sure on the yellow fuse box ones, but it's not an ideal repair.

The one on that grey plug is the power steering pressure sensor.

BlackGold 182
I'm going to repair that wire better but I ca t see that being the issue so still no clue what it could be

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Sounds like duff alternator tbh, measure voltage from main wiring anchor on the alternator to battery neg, if that's still low then unlikely to be wiring.

BlackGold 182
Sounds like duff alternator tbh, measure voltage from main wiring anchor on the alternator to battery neg, if that's still low then unlikely to be wiring.
Checked voltage and is still 11.48. Starting to think it is a dodgy alternator.

Also I have noticed my petrol light is intermittent weather it comes up or not, the car as same amount in it for a while as it's not moved for ages and the needle is clearly very low