ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replaced Springs...

Replaced my springs over the weekend took me for ever! I had real difficulty lining up the hub and the bottom of the shock to get the bolts back in, in the end had to compress the spring using the compressors, to pull the bottom of the shocks up by about 2 inches, just wondering if I missed a trick somewhere?

Thanks Mat.

PS. anyone who says you can change the springs without compressors must have some strength, that or I'm a wimp.

Clio 172
changed springs with out spring compressorsa few times now. Didnt think it was hard at all.

Maybe mine was jus easy though :cool:

Was no way I could get the spring perch back on without the compressors, needed to compress the springs about 2 inches! I wonder if I have the correct springs! ProKit Renault Clio B 16v + Diesel(10-75-001-02-22)?

Mat.

www.renparts.co.uk
if your having trouble a wooden broomhandle through the lower arm and apply a little pressure, pulls it down nicely and lets you position the strut...

Valver
What I normally do is undo the bottom ball joint nuts (take front one off completely or nearly and undo the back one slightly so it tilts) the hub drops, then pull the hub forward and tilt the shock to get the bottom bolt through, then either jack the hub up or just do up the bottom ball joint nuts to bring the hub up then push it back to get the top strut bolt in.

Only way I've found of doing it!

Was no way I could get the spring perch back on without the compressors, needed to compress the springs about 2 inches! I wonder if I have the correct springs! ProKit Renault Clio B 16v + Diesel(10-75-001-02-22)?

Mat.

Your using the wrong springs I'm sure Will check for certain though.

Lots of Alfas
I had real difficulty lining up the hub and the bottom of the shock to get the bolts back in, .

The trick is to jack the whole of the front up on both sides so the roll bar flops down and pulls the suspension as far down as it will go then line up as best you can and slot a socket extension bar through the top hole. Then use that to align the bottom hole so you can pop a greased up bolt back in, once the bottom is in the top is a doddle. They are a pain on the 172s with new springs.

How did you fit the strut back in with compressors attached??