ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Riggers' Nova 1.4SR...

JDM Dc2
Thought some of you may be interested so thought i'd start a project thread..

Went to the Tatton Park Classic car show hungover one sunday, i've had a thought about buying a Cavalier GSi and building my own kinda BTCC rep but not with all the graphics and sponsors, but they're very hard to come by and tbh the more i thought about it i didn't want a project from a totally standard car like my XR2 was (bar the suspension it came on). So anyways i was looking forward to seeing some Cavaliers and having a nosey underneath one in person for suspension ideas as there's nothing off the shelf for them really that's track worthy, whilst i've been researching them and looking out for them for sale i've been searching for Novas too as theyre obviously lighter then a cavalier, parts are easier to come by (i thought, will get to that another day)... so at the show i spot this nova, and with the bonnet up i didn't really take much notice until i noticed the For Sale sign in the window i instantly got chatting to the owner and the following night i went to pick it up aha...

So abit of info the car's only on 52000 miles, both previous owners have been mature, the one before last had the engine rebuilt and fitted with the mods, the previous owner i bought it off only used it on weekends for 6 months of the year for his 9yr ownership. The car isn't as mint as i first thought but it's a lot of car for the money and its 27years old so nthings perfect mint that's that old haha...

20170604_152121_zpsrcwrgxop.jpg

20170604_153314_zpsrokaa3lc.jpg

20170605_211021_zpsopcizjdp.jpg

spec -

C20xe
Coscast (cosworth designed) head
Jenvey DTH 45mm Throttle Bodies
DTA management
Kent Cams and Verniers
ARP rod bolts
Ashley manifold
Sportex exhaust
GSI fuel tank
Cortney Motorsport Driveshafts
Some Samco hoses
GSi Radiator
Oil cooler

Seam welded engine bay
Solid top mounts
Mk3 Astra Fanblade wheels
Cavalier v6 front brakes
Raceland coilovers
Full GSi interior including clocks and dash

Home, first thing i did was remove the mud guards and parcel shelf -

20170606_172519_zpsh0ucz5wx.jpg

OMP wheel out of my integra fitted with OMP boss -

20170612_160611_zpstj0pgml2.jpg

Fully low on the rear and the front to match -

20170618_130258_zpshock0jje.jpg

20170618_130319_zpsqujv89aq.jpg

new fan -

20170622_171837_zpsin2j4oj7.jpg

20170622_174856_zpsax71khdo.jpg

Oil cooler bolted in and rad postioned properly as they both weren't ideal -

20170618_162057_zps4cwxuqmj.jpg

New brake goodies -

20170615_152228_zpsoqbvfefs.jpg

Random pic tidying whilst tidying the wiring (chopping out bullet connectors and soldering) -

20170618_112041_zps8nrs4w69.jpg

covered up stop it fading or getting wet aha -

20170614_153137_zpssntptmgj.jpg

loads of parts on order/waiting to go on, getting the map checked next sunday at EFI Parts, more soon :)

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Love that, though the wheels don't do much for me.

I went in an XE Nova years ago, it really did fly.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Great car, my mate had an original 1.4 SR back in the day when I had my XR2. That was red as well, great project and a s said it must be rather nippy.

182 FF, 306 Rallye
Very smart, bet it goes well with that in. Looks a tidy example too. Id personally change the front indicators for original amber units - more retro

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
That is absolutely awesome! Get some black hoses and jobs a good'un.

My mate had a 1.2 Corsa B Which we fitted a C20XE to and that felt properly quick when we were 18. Bet these are absolute beasts!

Monaco 172
I've not seen a Nova in years, this is awesome!!

I got abso-feckin-lutely OWNED by a Turbo Nova (in a straight line) back in the day when I had my GT-Four, It just so happened I had my now wife in the car at the time and I was more than likely banging on about how quick my car was etc as the the Nova was becoming a smaller and smaller yellow dot in the distance haha.

Very cool indeed!
My first car was a mk2 1.4SR and that engine lived in another two cars before being converted to injection and making around 90hp.
My last nova was a C16XE corsa GSI engine and while that was off the road for upgrades I built a sleeper corsa B XE out of a faded pink 1.2.
Many happy days messing with old vauxhalls, XE novas always did go well!

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
They were like most cars - some were quicker than others.

I remember my ex had a 1.3sr with 130k on the clock and it went like stink compared to every other one I see.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Was just going to say that. Mate had a 1.3sr and his was marginally quicker.

Not sure mine was the best example, could still squish the joins in the chassis lol

Wow that brings back some memories, my mate had one, same colour and reg as well. We used to go to raves in it all over the country in the 90s, lol. We (he) ended up rolling it into a farmers field in the end, doing a full roll and landing on the passenger side, robust little things though as we just rocked it back on it wheels and drove out the field, lol.

Not thought about that in years... anyway cool car. :up:

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Wasn't the 1.3sr quicker than the 1.4sr due to the heavier block or something?

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
I've not seen a Nova in years, this is awesome!!

I got abso-feckin-lutely OWNED by a Turbo Nova (in a straight line) back in the day when I had my GT-Four, It just so happened I had my now wife in the car at the time and I was more than likely banging on about how quick my car was etc as the the Nova was becoming a smaller and smaller yellow dot in the distance haha.

So you got Novataken?