ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RIP engine?????

R.I.P 182
My car is dead.

Driving in the fast lane of m25, not ridiculously fast, car stopped accelerating and engine just cut out.

Managed to get over 4 lanes into hard shoulder and nearly dying by lorry squashing.

Sitting on recovery truck at mo, they had a look and it's NOT the cambelt.

What could be wrong :(

Last edited by a moderator:
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
did it make any big noise?? does it turn over and try to start? Does it sound faster than normal when cranking?

R.I.P 182
Sorry Ben ain't with it tbh!

No doesn't start and I have no idea what cranking is?

No bangs nothing, just died.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
it could have had a pulley slip. Same effect as the cambelt going, but without the belt actually snapping.

Look for any damage to the aux belt, could be a strip off it that's tangled in the crank pulley

Cranking = turn the key and try to start it.

330i. E30 Touring.
182 is twin cam, yeah.

If it was something big (ie, cambelt- you'd have probably heard some horrible noises).

The belt he'll be able to see is the aux belt.

R.I.P 182
f**k knows! He said aux is still there. Being taken to a garage. Broke down on m25 by Epsom, being towed back to Billericay..!! :(

330i. E30 Touring.
Unless a pulley is slipping around the belt, the cam wouldn't turn if the engine seized. You'd definitely get noises especially if on the motorway at what i presume to be 3k revs+

Shameless plug,but if either of you do need an engine, drop me a PM

RS Clio 182
I was going to say the same thing,I have a complete engine and box etc, from a 172 though...if you want any info then let me know..i am no mechanic either but does anyone think it could have been electrical if there wasnt any knocks or bangs??

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Im no mechanic. But years ago my 205 GTi did this when I went to overtake a tractor. RAC came to my rescue. Turned out to be the thermostat was dead and the engine cut out cos it was getting no water or something. I was super lucky apparently as the head gasket didn't pop.
Another time it wouldn't start cos the main ignition lead had managed to disconnect or something too.

Ly Megane 230 F1
i had a problem like this on a toyota starlet ( i know totally different car ) but... i was driving along around 60/65mph then the main ignition coil that feeds the ignition leads failed and the whole car just died! no noises and no power :/. hope you get to the bottom of it and its nothing serious mate :)

R.I.P 182
Fingers crossed!! They're looking at it on Monday, :(

I hope it's something not too serious. If its mashed I won't be getting a new engine I'll get rid.! Bloody thing!!!!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
ballache. surely it cant be something super serious if you didnt hear any harsh noises? suggests somethings just come loose rather than engine eating itself?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
My 197 cut out, no lights, nothing. Turned out the fuel pump died..... However that's not unheard of on the mk3. when did you last have the belts done etc???

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
sure it was petrol you put in not diesel?

i know its hard to do that but you have to ask.

sounds electrical tbh

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
if it was cam belt or a dropped valve, it would have made a lot of load bangs. Yours sounds a lot more like an electrical fault to me.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Oh man... that sucks... wanna swap it for my 1.2 polo!?!! lol

Hope it's nowt serious. :)

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
my car stopped going while overtaking someone, turned out to be the cambelt slipped, didnt even make any noises as it only slipped. bent all 16 valves aswell. engine doesnt have to make any serious noises to say its a cambelt.

just because the AA guy said the cam is still moving, the belt may still be intact but the timing could be out. best to lift of the driver side engine mount/timing cover and check the tension on the belt.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
my car stopped going while overtaking someone, turned out to be the cambelt slipped, didnt even make any noises as it only slipped. bent all 16 valves aswell. engine doesnt have to make any serious noises to say its a cambelt.

Did you have the music on really loud or something like that? becasue im pretty sure 8 valves crashing into pistons would make some sort of noise....

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

just because the AA guy said the cam is still moving, the belt may still be intact but the timing could be out. best to lift of the driver side engine mount/timing cover and check the tension on the belt.

Oh dear.

Lionel Richie
Did you have the music on really loud or something like that? becasue im pretty sure 8 valves crashing into pistons would make some sort of noise....

you know what, you'd be surprised! I had a rod come out of the front grille once (not joking) and the thing made no noise, just shut off, clouds of smoke, that was it!

R.I.P 182
Are u serious re:petrol/diesel!

Im not That thick, the car I've had for 4/5 years and always used unleaded lol.

Ill be finding out tomorrow :(

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
You cant put diesel in petrol only petrol in diesel, even if this was the case you wouldn't do 1 mile without it cutting out.

R.I.P 182
Ok, they haven't looked properly but the cambelt has gone and I think piston/valves he said I'm looking at least 800 quid but there may be even more wrong, will be finding out this week.

Fuckinh ridiculous.

As I said was no noise or smoke so was hoping it wasn't.

I can't afford that to fix it, and insurance isn't mechanical issues so I'm fucked. Do u think anyone would buy it even though it needs a lot done to it???