ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Road Angel Compact - Errors?

I've had my Road Angel Compact for approx 2 weeks now and has been working fine.

However, when i plugged the RA Compact into my car tonight, it displayed the blue screen for around a second, then the screen flashed red 4 or 5 times in rapid succesion. The screen then went blank although the 3 buttons remained illuminated as usual. I disconnected the unit and tried again and the same thing happened. I then left the unit for approx 2 hours and when i re-connected, it still has this fault.

I've checked the trouble-shooting guides but can't find anything relating to this.

Anyone have any ideas? I've contacted Blackspot but they seem to have a back-log at the moment!

Ford Fiesta
sounds like a software failure. If it does same again i'd get on back to blackspot www.blackspot.com or maybe consider reinstalling the software for it, if they have it for download on their site. I know they do for the "new road angel".

Mine sometimes locks up etc but is ok when i turn it off and back on.

182 Full Fat
Girlfriend has similar problems with hers mate. Blackspot said a batch of the Road Angel compacts startinf with serial 0302 have had problems. Just e-mail them, and leave contact details. But be patient. Girlfriend is still trying to sort out hers. It keeps flashing up Blackspot!!!!

My serial number starts 0301 (but is quite a high number after that) so could well be part of the same batch. Just wish Blackspot would answer the e-mail I sent them!!
I plugged it into my pc as well over the weekend, and it does the same thing as when connected in the car

182 Full Fat
ShaunR16v said:
My serial number starts 0301 (but is quite a high number after that) so could well be part of the same batch. Just wish Blackspot would answer the e-mail I sent them!!
I plugged it into my pc as well over the weekend, and it does the same thing as when connected in the car

Girlfriend has just has hers swapped for a new one today. A guy calls round your house and swaps them round. (have to see if it works later though!)Be patient, they are busy but do eventualy get back to you. Also the phone lines aren't always engaged now :D

Cheers for the reply

How long did it take for your girlf to get her new one (ie when did she first report it as faulty)

182 Full Fat
First had problems trying to get it registered and then get it synchronised. Initially the unit worked fine, then once it was synchronised last week it just kept beeping and showing camera and blackspot warnings. She spoke to them Thursday last i think, and they agreed to swap it. She got it for xmas so not had it long! Phone them (you will get through sooner or later!) Let us know how you get on mate!

Well after making various phone calls and being passed round what must have been nearly every member of Blackspots staff, they've now said they're sending me a new replacement unit, and it should be here tomorrow.... i hope so

182 Full Fat
Excellent mate, Blackspot are good, I just think its a busy time of year as they are dealing with all the problems from xmas.:star:

clio
This is ironic, I read this thread last week and on Friday my unit goes bang as well exactly the same fault. Email sent to blckspot but no response yet.

Mike

182 Full Fat
They will respond this week mate, they are only open Mon-Fri. Hope mine doesn't go wrong now I've replied to this thread!:S

I finally got a new unit out of them, although they tried to send it to my home address and not the delivery address i specified when i spoke to them.

I've been more than unhappy with their customer service skills!!! Just a shame really that the RoadAngels seem so good, if they weren't i'd send it back and tell them where to stick it!

Hope you get yours sorted out quicker than I did Mike, and i'd call them rather than waste time e-mailing.... and keep a note of who you speak to!

182 Full Fat
At least you got the unit sorted. I suspect they will re-start your 6 month free subscription against the new serial number.

clio
After two emails and four phone calls to blackspot about the above problem, someone eventually pointed me in the right direction (it only took them 10 days). This fault is caused by a software problem and you need to download a firmware update to the unit via your computer. This instantly solved the problem I had.
Blackspots customer service was polite and helpful but it took ages for them to give a resolution. The biggest problem I have with there system is that you call them, they log the call and then try to call you back. The only problem for me was, that I am not always available to take phone calls (I am an air traffic controller, not allowed to use mobiles and talk to aeroplanes at the same time you understand), so I would ideally like to speak to them on my terms not when they like.
The girl who eventually solved my problem was helpful and polite, but that doesn't make up for ten days of waiting.

Mike

I got a response to my original e-mail the other day.... they stated that after 336 hours of me raising my original e-mail fault log, they hadn't received an update from me! FFS, i've had my new unit over a week, seems no-one there knows whats going on!
On the plus side though, after a few polite phone calls advising the customer service manager my opinions, i got an extra 6 months free subscription

182 Full Fat
ShaunR16v said:
On the plus side though, after a few polite phone calls advising the customer service manager my opinions, i got an extra 6 months free subscription

Thats a good result at least! :D