ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rob's 1995 Impreza WRX STI Type RA

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
I think the 350 would be a bit of a let down.
I'm open to suggestions bud. There can't be many cars you haven't owned! [emoji6]

I'm going to have plenty of time to think as I doubt the RA will sell quickly.

Hopefully getting some decent photos today to really show the car off.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I think it's fair to say my RA ownership has been rocky to say the least and although the car is now in a really good place, and a thousand times better than when i bought it last year. If i'm honest i'm always worried about what might go wrong next. Which is no bad reflection on the car just what you get from being on the planet for 22 years I guess.

As for it's replacement I'm unsure at the moment. The first cars that come to mind are either a DC5 Integra or a Nissan 350Z. Whatever it will be has to be fun both on and off track!

Firstly I need to sell the RA and It's priced keen, but I think it's fair given its condition, low mileage, mods etc and compared to what's out there in the market at the moment it stands out!

Out of those two, 100% DC5.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Out of those two, 100% DC5.
There's a few cars on the list...

* Honda Integra DC5 - The DC5 is a car that's always been on my radar and I nearly bought one instead of the Impreza. I think fitting a Jackson Supercharger would put a massive grin on my face, and would remind me of my old Trophy.

* Nissan 350Z - Again the Z is car that I have always admired. When they came out it blew me away! Considering what Nissan had been kicking out the factory at that time they really hit the nail on the head with the 350. (IMO of course)

* Renault Clio 200 - Another Clio... I'm a big fan of the 200, but firstly I'd want to drive one to see how they compare with a 182. As for a 182 I don't think I could own another simply because when I stripped the Trophy I had a hoard or choice mods that I could of thrown onto another 182, and now I don't... I'd be mental to start another project and buy it all again! [emoji23]

* Renault Megane R26 F1 - Ahh the Megane a Clio's natural progression. I really do like these, but again I'd want to drive one first. (to be fair this goes for any car I'll be looking at)

Whatever the Impreza's replacement will be it needs to fulfil a certain criteria.

* Must be able to fit in a regular sized garage

* Budget of around 10k

* Doesn't need to be practical so too seats is fine, but I don't want a kit car.

* Fuel economy isn't an issue

* Age wise nothing pre 2000

* Most importantly needs to have decent/fun handling to have a laugh both on the road and the occasional track day.

I could stretch the budget and borrow a little, but I'd rather just have the car bought and owned rather than having a monthly payment attached to it which will ear into any potential mods etc.

As soon as you start borrowing where do you stop? I could start looking at things like...

* Lotus Elise
* BMW Z4M
* Nissan 370Z
* Renault Megane RS250

And lastly and a real odd ball but a car I have always admired...

A Lexus ISF [emoji28]

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Re. DC5 v 200 v R26:
The DC5 is a cracking car, plus there's the rarity factor and they're awesome straight out of the box. They're not cheap to modify though and suspension setup is difficult once you do. They're not as raw as you'd think either, if you're after a hardcore experience you would be better with a DC2. Then it's an older car though.
Without being overly biased, the 200 is probably one of the last old skool basic hot hatches. NA, fairly light, fairly low power but with a massively talented chassis, even with the simple hardware. There's a reason I've kept mine from new rather than gone the DC5 route. The mods I've done recently have made it even better too and they're cheap enough to run as well as responding well to mods. I like the 200. Good car.
R26's are also great, but feeling their age nowadays, if you're bothered about interior etc. The 250 onwards are weapons with a few mods, really awesome cars and if I was about that boost life, I'd have probably bought one over the 200.

All that said, Z4M's are lovely, but they're going north in price very quickly. ISF's are cool but I've heard the auto box and intrusive ESP kills the fun a little. They'd be a great daily though... maybe get both? :D

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Re. DC5 v 200 v R26:
The DC5 is a cracking car, plus there's the rarity factor and they're awesome straight out of the box. They're not cheap to modify though and suspension setup is difficult once you do. They're not as raw as you'd think either, if you're after a hardcore experience you would be better with a DC2. Then it's an older car though.
Without being overly biased, the 200 is probably one of the last old skool basic hot hatches. NA, fairly light, fairly low power but with a massively talented chassis, even with the simple hardware. There's a reason I've kept mine from new rather than gone the DC5 route. The mods I've done recently have made it even better too and they're cheap enough to run as well as responding well to mods. I like the 200. Good car.
R26's are also great, but feeling their age nowadays, if you're bothered about interior etc. The 250 onwards are weapons with a few mods, really awesome cars and if I was about that boost life, I'd have probably bought one over the 200.

All that said, Z4M's are lovely, but they're going north in price very quickly. ISF's are cool but I've heard the auto box and intrusive ESP kills the fun a little. They'd be a great daily though... maybe get both? :D
Thanks Chris, I will definitely take a 200 for a test drive.

The only problem is if I did decide to buy one I doubt I could pick a colour between ultra red, racing blue, alien green, or storm grey!

They're all so nice!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Thanks Chris, I will definitely take a 200 for a test drive.

The only problem is if I did decide to buy one I doubt I could pick a colour between ultra red, racing blue, alien green, or storm grey!

They're all so nice!

That's the exact issue I had when I ordered mine. I ruled out RB because of my old 182 and I couldn't order either AG or SG anymore because of how late my build slot was. So UR it was!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
That's the exact issue I had when I ordered mine. I ruled out RB because of my old 182 and I couldn't order either AG or SG anymore because of how late my build slot was. So UR it was!
Red cars in general always look good mate, and your 200 is no exception.

I'm a big fan of the 'clubsport' spec which is what I did to my Trophy.

We all know red cars are faster anyway. [emoji6]

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Come back to the fold with a super charged club sport 200 in storm grey! :up::wink:

Good luck with the sale..I'm sure someone will bite your arm off for it.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
A supercharged (even low boost) 200 would be a total weapon. You still preserve the NA revs too. Best of both.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
4 Offside-Rear.jpg
5 Rear.jpg
6 Nearside-Rear.jpg
7 Nearside.jpg
8 Nearside-Front.jpg
Engine-1.jpg
Engine-2.jpg
1 Front.jpg
2 Offside-Front.jpg
3 Offside.jpg
Here's the photos for the advert on Piston Heads: https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...za-sti/subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-type-ra/7263762

I'm byast of course, but the RA looks incredible! Massive thanks to @KrisRS182 for the photography skills.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
It's a beauty. As said though, shame about the front bumper.

I thought you had one lined up to replace it?

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
As above, looks fantastic apart from front bumper, but u know this. Straight swap e46 330ci? :tonguewink:

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Allways wonder from like a safety point of view how easy would they get damaged?.
It might be due to the lack of use, but it's held up pretty well.

I knocked it with my knee when installing the engine and squashed a load of the fins.

A patient session with a pair of tweezers and it was alright again! [emoji23]
As above, looks fantastic apart from front bumper, but u know this. Straight swap e46 330ci? :tonguewink:
Thanks mate, but as great as they are I'm not a fan of the E46. [emoji6]
Looks awesome bar the front.

Should keep it and sort it
Minds made up bud I'm afraid!
Looks amazing!
Cheers mate! [emoji4]

Countryman JCW
Shame you're selling, have enjoyed reading the trials and tribulations of your ownership.

All the best with the sale mate, the right person will be a long sharpish and have that off you!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Shame you're selling, have enjoyed reading the trials and tribulations of your ownership.

All the best with the sale mate, the right person will be a long sharpish and have that off you!

Thanks Ross,

I'm glad you've enjoyed the read, keep an eye out for my next purchase as I'm sure that project will be full of the same! 😂

I haven't had any interest yet. It's a fairly niche car so I expected that, but as you said hopefully the right person will be along soon!

Countryman JCW
Thanks Ross,

I'm glad you've enjoyed the read, keep an eye out for my next purchase as I'm sure that project will be full of the same! 😂

I haven't had any interest yet. It's a fairly niche car so I expected that, but as you said hopefully the right person will be along soon!
Whats in the pipe line?

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Does look great in those pics Rob.

Thanks Mark, Kris did some cracking shots.

Interesting, whats made you want to try one of them? I hate the things personally haha!

I have always liked them ever since they came out. That's about it really! A cracking engine with plenty of potential for tuning.

They look good but they arent much quicker than a clio!

Doesn't need to be mate. Everyone knows a Clio is the fastest car on earth! :wink: However a supercharged Z would be pretty epic IMO!

Slower IME. But my ego wont let me believe anything is faster than me/my clio lol

My Impreza begs to differ... :tongueclosed: