ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rob's Supercharged Trophy

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Thinking of upgrading my Alpine headunit chaps.

Anyone using these so called 'mechless' units?

I'm thinking of ditching my many CD wallets that are floating around the interior... [emoji23]

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I've also considered a mechless head unit, be interesting to see people's opinions on them.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Gutted really doesn't cover my next and arguably my last update for Trophy #083 :cry:

06/11/16 I was excited and all ready to attend the Goodwood 'Hot Hatch Sunday' breakfast meet and also had a pass to be fortunate enough to park my car on the circuit itself.

Goodwood is a fairly long drive from me at just over an hour and being a breakfast meet its an early start as they ask you get there for 8am. So off I set with my pal Kris in a mini convoy cutting down a B road that's local to me and a road I know well.

Everything was perfect until a bloody great fox ran out in front of me! I swerved to avoid it (in hindsight I should of just hit it) Luckily I managed to avoid the animal, but in doing so I lost control of the Trophy, and binned it straight into a rather steep bank made of what I can only imagine was solid steel... This subsequently span me round and the rear of the car made contact with pole that was stuck in the bank itself.

The photos speak for themselves, but for those that are interested the damage from what I've found so far consists of:

Apart from the obvious here's a small list...
*Heavy frontal damage which has broken the offside cam cover bracket away from the offside engine mount, and pushed the engine against the firewall.
*The supercharger itself has taken a fairly large hit, and the outlet flange has been squashed in the force
*Radiator has ruptured dropping all of its coolant
*Both engine and supercharger cooler mounting brackets are damaged slightly (but neither have dropped any fluid)
*A crease has appeared in the roof near the offside door
*The nearside door is now catching the wing when opened/closed
*Offside rear quarter damaged from the pole which has also popped the lens from the rear lamp and caught the bumper
*Accelerator pedal potentiometer has showered my drivers footwell with various white plastic gears...

With the help of Kris and using one of my work recovery vehicles I got the poorly Trophy back to my garage, where it hasn't moved since the weekend.

I phoned my insurance broker (Greenlight) Monday morning and spoke to Dan who couldn't of been more helpful, who then passed me over to my actual insurers (Highway) and dealt with an equally helpful lady called Sheila. The whole claims process was very daunting for me as I have never made an insurance claim before!

I didn't have to worry though as the whole thing has been so easy. I'm sure its not always the case but my situation was fairly unique in the fact I have an agreed value on the car, and there were no third parties involved.

Once the engineer's had received my photos of the Trophy they have classed the damage as a 'Category B' which means I can buy the vehicle back, but legally cannot be driven on the road again. So unfortunately that's one less Trophy on the road. 😞 Although some would argue, and I would have to agree mine really wasn't a Trophy anymore!

So as It currently stands I'm awaiting the insurance payout, and will soon start breaking the trophy for parts/modifications of which there is a huge amount up for grabs!

Current spec list:

Engine/Gearbox:

Rotrex C30 supercharger
Gen90 ECU
Megane 225 injectors
Forced induction map sensor
Mocal oil cooler
Mocal oil catch tank
Alloy Header tank
K&N air and oil breather filters
Supercharger fluid cooler
Toyo intercooler
Magnecor HT leads
Megane NGK spark plugs
Forge coolant hoses
SFS Boost hoses
Dumpvalve blanker
Vibra technic engine mounts
Powerflex dogbone mount
Black powder coated boost pipes
Pure Motorsport 182 Racing exhaust system with decat
Quaife ATB Helical LSD
Sachs Racing clutch kit
TTV Lightened flywheel
Pure Motorsport Racing precision gear linkage kit

Suspension & handling:

Bilstein B14 coilover's
Pure Motorsport solid top mounts
Pure Motorsport front strut brace
Whiteline rear ARB
Powerflex wishbone bushes
Powerflex inner and outer front ARB bushes
Powerflex rear axle beam bushes
Powerflex steering rack bushes
Powerflex rear top mount bushes
Powerflex camber bolts
EBC yellow stuff pads front and rear
Goodridge braided brake lines
ATE TYP 200 Dot 4 Brake Fluid

Wheels and tyres:

15" Speedline 2118's (5x Anthracite & 4x White)
Nangkang NS2R's
Pure motorsport spacers 15mm front & 10mm rear
Pure motorsport stud conversion

Interior/Exterior:
Corbeau Clubsport seats
Rear seats stripped and then fully sound proofed and carpeted 'clubsport spec'
Bolt in 'eBay roll cage' with spreader plates
Dash trims colour coded to match the cage
Custom made rear strut brace
RSA black 4 point harnesses
OMP steering wheel
Battery relocated to boot in battery box
Kode quick release front bumper catches
Aerocatch bonnet catches
Pure Motorsport front tow eye
Powder fire extinguisher
Skoda Fabia front splitter
JON FOZ X-Low seat subframes
Clio 172 'black insert' Xenon headlamps

Please bare with me, but I will be creating a 'for sale thread' soon.

At this moment in time some of the parts/modifications may not be suitable for resale (the supercharger for example) so I will of course check everything thoroughly once removed. However currently nothing has been removed from the vehicle. Bare in mind some components may take me a little time to remove as I'm limited to weekends to work on the car.

The fact that I'm selling up will confirm I'm moving on from Clio's and this Trophy has been my third, and without a doubt the best car I have ever owned. However I just haven't got the energy or the heart to strip down the Trophy and start over again on another Clio. It just wouldn't be the same!

I will stay on the forum for sure (if you'll have me! :wink:) I've made some great friends due to this community and met so many like minded individuals.

I'm not 100% sure on a replacement yet but the front runner is a Honda Integra DC5 (a car I have always wanted to tick off the list!)

Oh and finally the good news I'm absolutely fine! 😂 Just a sore neck, but nothing really to moan about. Luckily I had my harnesses on which certainly helped.

Thanks for reading,

Rob.

91b2cf2d7a0bfb9954bf7a5f978d3c2b.jpg

e8e75c87a52fb643f4af6385a435777b.jpg

16115437c3458a05431ec3e2cdfa8478.jpg

96233b181171914a20b4ad270775e04f.jpg

a9d27c3e1b6ae7641a10bf351aa49a91.jpg

6f3bb2a5e4083123ea020b9bd55e25a9.jpg

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Genuinely so sorry too hear this Rob,and couldn't of happened to a nicer guy.When I saw your car I could tell how passionate you were,your ok that is the main thing and hopefully all the nice bits you sell can go towards whatever you fancy next
Sorry
Al

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
f**king gutted for you mate, glad your alright though.

Didn't you want to use your part's to build another one or have you had enough?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Glad you're ok but absolutely gutting about the Trophy.

On the bright side at least you're seeing this as an opportunity to get something new, and different, to play with!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Gutted the Trophy has been written off but at least you're ok. The roads were bad Sunday morning as I went to Goodwood as well so probably nothing you could have done differently.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
F**k'nell Rob. I don't know what to say other than I'm absolutely chuffed you are ok and in one piece (albeit a sore neck). I know how much you enjoyed this car and how much you've put into it. I'm genuinely gutted for you mate :( I was so looking forward to joining you for a 'charged Trophy drive at some point in the future.

All the best mate and good luck with whatever comes next (Type-R or otherwise). I was big into Honda / Type-R's before I got bitten by the Clio Trophy bug.

Jme34

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I was looking everywhere for this on the circuit on Sunday! [emoji27] wouldn't stop banging on about it to my girlfriend! Can't even imagine how gutted you've gotta be, lucky you're all in one piece at least though!

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Not a good update, Rob, but as has been said the main thing is you're ok. It's such a shame, it was a special little Trophy, that one, but at least the insurance process is proving painless and you can get back in the saddle soon, y0!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Sorry to hear about the crash, how much for the.....

Glad to hear you're ok, bet you were absolutely gutted! No more flames :(

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Holy crap... awful news. Glad you are ok. Had 2 write offs in my time - Mk2s do stand up to punishment quite well, I walked away from a nasty crash in my old 182.

DC5 would be a pretty sweet 'healing aid' though!

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Gutted for you, seeing this at blyton reminded me of my old sc clio. Ended up buying another one hoping to boost it in the future after seeing it pop flames all day. Glad you walked away from it though the rest is all replaceable metal, limbs not so much... could be interested in a few bits without sounding like a vulture, drop me a pm when the chargers off i could still be interested in it (y)

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Cannot believe it, feel so sorry for you ! Glad you arent hurt, from the picture it looks like a heavy smash so the main thing is that you are OK. Definitely get a for sale thread up as you have a lot of nice parts.

Oh wow..... Utterly gutted for you Rob!!

Don't know what to say. Main thing is your ok but sucks to lose such a brilliant car!
Hope you get everything sorted and are happy with your next car. Dc5 is a decent shout. A car I've always fancied owning

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Wow, that's awful! Real shame to happen to such a nice car. Glad you're okay though. I also may be interested in a few parts when it comes to it.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
So saddening to see your amazing car meet such and end Rob. Glad you and Mr Fox are unhurt though.
We all know how much passion you poured into this little car, you must be devastated. It was by far my favourite clio at CSF the year. Look forward to reading about your next build. [emoji106]

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Absolutely gutted for you, was genuinely one of the best cars at CSF this year, not good to see it meet a terrible end. Glad your alright and fingers crossed you can get into something fun again soon!