ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Roll centre and coil over

Robproof

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Probably looking at things due to a bit more time not playing on the track, but my Clio is running in Cup shocks and Cook sport Springs. I only really use it for track days (and driving to the track). Car seems to handle well, but you can always make it better right?

wondering if there was a benefit to fitting a roll centre / bump stop correction kit?

also, with my current set up, would there be any benefit to switching to a decent coilover set up?

Thanks, rob

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Decent coilovers first, gaz gold, BC, or AST if you have the budget then roll kit imo

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I had a standard cup packed 182 and although it looked better. I distinctly remember my car being worse to drive after fitting Eibach sportlines to the car.
That wasn’t because they’re a bad spring but I think as soon as you lower these cars the negative affects on the geometry become pretty apparent.

As said above, almost would go with a good quality coilover first of all, but I think you would notice a significant improvement even just with roll centre correction hubs on a moderately lowered car.

I’m sure those who know far greater than I can advise you better.

When you say 'handle well', do you mean 'entertaining and enjoyable, with some lift-off oversteer to be enjoyed' or do you mean 'sticks like baby diarrhoea to a blanket in all situations'?

The latter will be quicker, yes, but if you're just trackway-ing it for s***s and giggles, the former would be a lot more fun.

(These comments also apply to on-road use TBH, and don't forget that a stiffer/lower setup will make it a lot more snappy at the limit, especially lifting off in the wet.)

Robproof

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Decent coilovers first, gaz gold, BC, or AST if you have the budget then roll kit imo

Thanks

Stupid question, What is the main benefit of the coil overs that you have found/ felt?
When you say 'handle well', do you mean 'entertaining and enjoyable, with some lift-off oversteer to be enjoyed' or do you mean 'sticks like baby diarrhoea to a blanket in all situations'?

The latter will be quicker, yes, but if you're just trackway-ing it for s***s and giggles, the former would be a lot more fun.

(These comments also apply to on-road use TBH, and don't forget that a stiffer/lower setup will make it a lot more snappy at the limit, especially lifting off in the wet.)

thanks, it’s my first Clio so I dont know much different! It probably on the entertainment end of things, but honestly don’t know how much “better” in the scale the handling car get, I know other clios on track are often quicker, but I put that down to the me as the driver!

the coilover route looks nice, but seems a huge variety in price!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Height adjustability, dampening adjustability, springs easily interchangeable, most have camber adjustment. Basically just lots of flexibility

Robproof

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just struggling to understand the hub I have on here! Considering fitting coil overs so need to know if I have 60mm or 54mm spacing, I can’t seem to find anything measuring either (would the camber bolts effect this? (I.e. need to remove and measure the shock itself)

Then the big question, what coil overs? (thinking budget new would be £1000 max so probably not find a AST set that people seem to think are good!) looked at BC or Gaz Gold so far

Thanks very much
C5B280B8-5001-4441-9100-20F50398CC41.jpeg

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Hey buddy.. Yes camber bolts will have made a difference in your measurements.. you need to measure bolt centre to bolt centre.. Looking at what you have there i say theyre 54mm hubs that you have.. For a grand id say go for the BC racing ones From Kam Racing, as they seem a good buy with them supplied with solid Top mounts included..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Robproof

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hey buddy.. Yes camber bolts will have made a difference in your measurements.. you need to measure bolt centre to bolt centre.. Looking at what you have there i say theyre 54mm hubs that you have.. For a grand id say go for the BC racing ones From Kam Racing, as they seem a good buy with them supplied with solid Top mounts included..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Perfect thanks buddy, I was guessing they were 54mm but just wanted an experienced eye!

Hope your keeping well. Cheers