ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rooby Clio 172

BG Megane 225
Looking forward to the updates mate.. Recently got myself a 172 as my Scoob of 9 years (140k mile) finally had head gasket failure.. Fantastic motors.. *Subscribed* !

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
This is going to be mental! will deffo be watching this :cool:

Listerine & Poledo
Now this is the kind of modifying that I can agree with :)

Good luck fella, sounds like you know what you're doing so I'm sure it's going to be mint.

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys, I was worried that the dyed in the wool "polish it and love it" Clio enthusiasts might have flamed me for even thinking of such a thing! Wouldn't make any difference, mind you!

Someone asked for some rally photos of the car, so here's one I have.

nightmare1.jpg

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Excellent!

How is running the shaft to the rear differential going to affect the cabin of the Clio? I gather you'll need a fair bit of clearance so its fairly high from the deck?

Excellent!

How is running the shaft to the rear differential going to affect the cabin of the Clio? I gather you'll need a fair bit of clearance so its fairly high from the deck?

Going to graft in the front bulkhead and transmission tunnel from the Scoob to the clio floorpan. At the back the entire clio floorpan/boot area to be removed and fit the Scooby chassis rails to mount the rear diff and suspension.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
GOING TO BE EPIC!!!!

funny enough been thinking about doing a 4x4 turbo conversion myself :), cossie's are expensive so i started a thread asking people's thoughts about the engine and here i am cheers marinemackay2003 :)

Subscribed....

Good luck with the build

Hmmmm, me thinks Pug 205 t16. Shouldn't you put the engine in the back though? ;)

Don't forget the T16 was transverse engined. It would be a much more difficult conversion to do and make four wheel drive using Scooby running gear. Would be easy using the Scooby engine and box as just rear wheel drive, but that's not what I'm after.

Off to the garage to do a bit more today, progress report when I get back.......

Mondeo TDCI 130
Good luck, following closely! On a smaller note, my businees partner does the odd 12 car, and apparently spotlights are banned??? Whats the score there? or is it just different clubs?

Good luck, following closely! On a smaller note, my businees partner does the odd 12 car, and apparently spotlights are banned??? Whats the score there? or is it just different clubs?

Depends where you are in the country. Down here we are allowed spotlamps, but they are banned in the West Mercia Police area, and one or two others, I believe.

Slightly disappointing day at the garage today, made a start at removing the rear beam and suspension. Dampers came off fine, but had problems with the two forward beam mounting bolts. Both spun when I tried to remove them. Going to have to get the old die grinder in there and wazz the nuts off now!

On the positive side, got the wiring loom out and cleared the front bulkhead on the Clio of all the cables and pipework. Made a few sketches (fag packet job of course, in the best engineering tradition!) of just where I shall be joining the Subaru bulkhead to the Clio A pillars. Remarkably simple job, it really is all a really good fit. Should be able to graft the Scooby chassis rails into the floorpan, and the transmission tunnel looks straightforward, too.

Going to shorten the Scooby floorpan between the transverse box section in the centre of the car, and where the rear seats were. 66mm to be removed here. Scooby floorpan will need to be narrowed by 40mm to fit inside the Clio sills, but again, seems straightforward.

Only thing I've not finalised in my head yet is the rear end layout. Again my initial idea is to remove the Clio floorpan completely from the rear seat base back to the rear bumper, and cut the Scooby floorpan to fit. This way I will have kept all the Subaru mounting points for the rear diff, crossmember and rear radius arms. Probably use the Subaru wheelarches too, so will have the top mounts for the struts in the right place.

Sorry no pictures today, not much to photograph.

Clio 172 cup
Fantastic project!!

One tip from me, once the engine is and bolted into the bay, double check to make sure you there is enough room to remove the coilpacks on each side and have enough space to access the plugs

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Awesome mate!!

I'm thinking of doing the same job to my clio in a few months time, out of the full list of 4x4 Turbo cars i've narrowed the list to 2 cars a impreza sti or a celica Gt4 st205 so weighing my options between both at mo.

Good luck am keeping a close eye on what 's happing with yours.

F4R mk2 ph2
Just last week was talking on the possibility to put 4x4 in a 1*2, and this cames up. Was wondering on the kangoo 4x4 but this...
Can´t wait to hear the first run.
Good Luck

Cheers Kamalao

Clio 197
Thanks for that, vitally important. I've changed plus on Scoobys before!

Haha scoobys are VERY easy to work on apart from the spark plug changes, took me 4 HOURS on my classic wrx - 1 HOUR each plug, i must have been in major mongoloid mode that day, that and they are difficult to access.

I am very interested in this thread having owned a classic wrx before the cup - combining the two = MENTAL :cool:

Clio Mk2 PH1 1.4 16v
is it the rear axle botls on the clio spining?? if so if you lift the rear seat base youll see 3 silver round bolt heads with brackets, grip with vices get some one to buzz should come off.

interesting build look forward to seeing it complete.

WRX STi (2010 4dr)
Right, I'm hooked. Only joined the forum this week, planning on buying/building a 172 track-rat. I love your muddy photo at the top of the thread as its exactly what I'm aiming for. I also have a 60-plate STi as my 'normal' car.
We're coming at this car ownership experience thing from very different angles; you're going to end up with both my cars combined if I manage to convince the GF that I need a track car!

Best of luck. Can't wait to hear the progress.