ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rooby Clio 172

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Wow. i wasnt sure if it was a clio in the first pic. bet it was interesting chopping through it :p

edit, just saw it with the vee kit... flol at the arch difference. do people who make *s**t* vee reps chop their rear arches out? :eek:?

Last edited:
No, been waiting on the roll cage to arrive from France. Got some more work done, so time for the next installment.

First of all another pat on the back for K-Tec Racing. Got my lovely new Oreca roll cage to me faster than they said it would be. Top marks Shaun and the guys.
First job when the cage arrived was to weld it together with parcel tape to see how it fitted the scooby floorpan.

edit_preview.php

Really pleased how well it all fitted together.

Next job was to put the cage into the Clio shell, and tack weld the main and front hoops together, then pull it out from under the Clio, to weld it properly, and use it to help measure the critical dimensions when welding the two halves of the Scooby floor together.

scaled.php

Last edited:
Next job was to see how the rear half of the scooby floorpan fitted into the Clio shell. Once more, out with the trusty grinder, line it up, and start chopping. After a morning's work it looked something like this.

edit_preview.php

Another angle

edit_preview.php

Still amazed at how well it fits together!

Finally today I have welded the inner wing strengtheners that I removed to make fitting easier back into the shell, having re-shaped them to fit around the Subaru rear inner wings and strut turrets.
Feels good to be assembling, not dismantling.
More soon, so stay tuned!

Arctic Blue FF 182
Looks like some good progress has been made! Things seem to line up remarkably well between the Clio shell and Scooby floor!

A bit more progress now, got the front part of the floorpan sorted to fit under the Clio. It's quite amazing just how well the two fit together. Good job I have the V6 bodykit, though, I don't think standard wings would work!

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Please do ;)

Although it's a shame St. Eval is no longer, was a great event if a little tyre-abrasive :dapprove: Eventually the single seaters en masse said sod that and the entries dried up.

Chivenor is supposedly a great event.

Bit more progress to report this week. I have been working on the roll cage, as I am in the fortunate position of being able to work on it outside the car! All the welds have been completed on the main part of the cage, with the added bonus of being able to do it outside the car. Makes like easy!

426298_341987909187140_100001278004146_1035409_1773018883_n.jpg

It has taken me a bit of time to get the front triangulation from the main cage to the front strut tops in position, as besides working out where the tubes needed to go through the front bulkhead, it needed to be tacked onto the main cage legs, lined up, tacked together, then removed so that the tubes could be welded together completely (impossible in situ), and then tacked back into place to weld in the front support plates, and weld the bracing tubes onto the plates! Simpler than it sounds, but a bit of a time consuming faff! A picture is worth a thousand words, so here is the end result!

423389_341955245857073_100001278004146_1035243_1182205470_n.jpg

How it looks under the bonnet.

423893_341983722520892_100001278004146_1035395_446584344_n.jpg

BMW 540i 4.4 V8
Great looking project.. Scoobybits is only a few miles up the road from me.. if you get this road legal I could even see it around?!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Too delicate for the road? It's being raced! (I get you ;))

Looking good, although the edges of the wheel arches make it look like the holes are cut out for corsa headlights :eek:

Keep 'em coming!

I feel we have reached a milestone with the project now. So far most of has been destructive rather than constructive. At long last I have started reconstruction work. The rear half of the floorpan has been aligned carefully, various fill in panels and strips cut, and actually welded in. Whoopee!

scaled.php

Been working on the front end now, had to cut the original Subaru top front chassis rail off, as it was too wide to allow me to fit the Clio V6 front wings. I bought some 4" U section from my local steel stockists, and fabricated some new, narrower chassis rails. End results here.

522026_350217451697519_100001278004146_1056800_812051389_n.jpg

541095_350216961697568_100001278004146_1056798_96051139_n.jpg

More progress, been welding more than anything, so not too many exciting pics to show. However last week we spent some time thinking about the problem of the cooling system. As the Clio engine bay is shorter the the Subaru, and the bonnet line lower, radiator position was undecided.

Had a dummy engine dropped in, to see how much space we had.

scaled.php

Also temporarily dropped in the intercooler, again, just to see how much room.
Looks wicked from the front!

edit_preview.php

Not enough room for the radiator, but that was expected from the initial measurements.
Radiator will end up here, using the V6 side ducts to get the air in, with several large mesh filled holes in the rear hatch to let the air out, as in rallycross cars.

edit_preview.php

Someone mentioned access to the spark plugs earlier in the thread. Even though there is a subframe to be made to hold the intercooler and front panels on, Subaru owners eat your heart out, couldn't be simpler to get at these!

edit_preview.php