ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rounded nut...

172 Cup
Seriously annoying the *insert word* out of me now.

Battered my hands to pieces trying to remove this.

Any ideas?

In b4 anyone suggest hammering a smaller socket on it. I just don't have the space to get enough swing on the hammer to do that.

5935_229693335570_825160570_7777730_7537489_n.jpg

TrackCar & F30 330d
Spray some penertrating stuff on it first. Put the socket on it and then get you bigest spanner and try prizing it on. that the only thing i an think of.

Titanium 182
Any tips on how to get a screw out of a number plate when the head has rusted away ? :eek: I can't get a hack saw behind it because of the plastic cover thing.

Any tips on how to get a screw out of a number plate when the head has rusted away ? :eek: I can't get a hack saw behind it because of the plastic cover thing.

Pliers. I grabbed hold of the plastic thing and spun that round with it, worked a treat.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Flol at a drill to take a number plate screw off!

Someone tell me that was a joke!

Have you been using splined sockets/ring spanners or a hex socket? the latter would normally get that off as less chance of it slipping. Before you do this, put the other 4 surrounding nuts back on very tight.

E36 M3. 182
I dont touch corroded parts with bi-hex sockets anymore, always rounding off! Single hex is the future (along with a f**k off breaker bar):cool:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I dont touch corroded parts with bi-hex sockets anymore, always rounding off! Single hex is the future (along with a f**k off breaker bar):cool:

But you run just as much risk as snapping the whole bolt off as you do rounding the thing. (I speak from experience changing the exhaust on an old M3 and the back box hitting me on the head:dapprove:)

'02 Monaco Blue 172
Chisel it off from above with a hammer. Had the same on my old Astra and got it off this way, chisel on the side the nut turns and once you have created a groove give it some welly!

Ph1
Easy, buy a socket set nut removal kit. (not sure of the technical name)

Their exactly the same as a normal socket piece but have blades inside. You place the socket on and as you turn the blades grip. The more force the more the blades dig into the nut. You can use a normal spanner or a socket set wrench.

Ph1
He got the other ones off ok so its probably the angle thats done him in rather than the tools. One slip, thats all it takes and its nut fucked lol

Clio 182 CUP In Silver
Heat to expand the nut and break the seal of corrosion, you can get blow torches cheap and a 6 point socket as mentiond, 12 point jus dont cut the mustard on seized nuts.

172 Cup
used a dremal to make a flat edge with corners then used a 6 point socket...

finally got it off. never using 12 pointed ones again.

Cheers guys.

Now to remove everything else to get the manifold off.

Exige S1 + Honda S1
never had a problem personally, had to hammer them on first to make them effective. Bit s**t how you only get 5, got to buy the other 5 to make the full set.