ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rover 220 gti will i have him

Clio 1.8 16v

my mate at work reckons his j reg rover 220gti will beat my clio and he said that he is willing to put £50 on a race n i am skint so it has to be a deffo win for me ere r my mods,induction kit,pbv,hillpower chip,full de-cat mongoose exhaust,lowered,n optimax(6) his r cat bak mongoose exhaust induction kit and says he had it chipped remaped n all this other sh*t n is running at 190 bhp?is this true from only tese mods?he aint got cams or n e thin like that just them up there!so what do u reckon put my money down or what?oh he got 17s and i have got 15s

Lionel Richie

round bends and braking etc youll have him, but im not sure what the performance figs are on this car???????

Clio 1.8 16v

think its just in a straight line oh dont say stuff like this coz if i loose i will never live this down at work n i could do with the cash!!!car needs new discs n pads

Shouldnt have a problem. I know someone who used to have one and they arent that quick (not slow though). They are mid to late 8s to 60. The one you want to worry about is the 220 Turbo Coupe - that would have you (mate has one).

190bhp??? I doubt it. The turbo coupe 220 is only 200bhp and I cant see the non-turbo making nearly as much from a chip, IK and exhaust.

At the time my mate had one, I had a Fiesta XR2i and I was able to keep up, and 16vers used to beat my XR2i

you should cane him andy! got my williams engine in now by the way and its a bit fookin special! will have to take you out in it when i get my license back!!

i have raced a few of these 220 GTis and you should bully him

Lee

BMW M2C

I used to have a 220GTi. It was a really nice car, but certainly wasnt built for the twisty stuff.

I actually chose it over an XR2i at the time as it did feel quicker and was a much nicer car and still the same insurance group.

220 Gtis are 140bhp standard so if he is lucky he will be pushing 155 at the flywheel..... They weight about 1.5 tonne though and when u corner them the back end slides big time..... Your have no trouble with ur car mate...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Youll toast him...

My mate used to have one and they are pretty quick, but not that quick and handling is cr@p!

Clio 1.8 16v

cheers guys i will ring him later and tell him i am goin to kick his arse hope i do win though :Dyeah u will have to txt us when u get ur license bak n take us for a spin think i might keep up with u ha what am i saying u will kick my arse now:(so how did it go gettin it in?i know then 220 turbo 1s are fast 1 totaly killed me it was scary!!not sure were the bhp is but he does get a bit excited n tends to bend the truth hey gues if i beat him i can say i have 210bhp lol yeah,i raced a golf the other day 1.8 16v i think it was n i walked past that so hopefully i am onto a sure £50 in my bak pocket to spend on new pads:)cheers guys

Clio 1.8 16v

oh yeah says he beat a calibra 4x4 turbo this guy must be talking bubbles n e way will let you all know how it goes yeah!!!

Dont say anything to him thatll give the game away... just let him carry on thinking that hes got 190bhp. I have no doubt whatsoever that you will thrash him. The 220 is in the Mk1 RSi performance bracket. No trouble.

Dont point that out, otherwise you might talk yourself out of a very certain £50.

Clio 1.8 16v

lol hope it goes that way to a certain £50 does n e 1 want to sell there discs n pads?looks like i am goin to be gettin £50:D

Clio 1.8 16v

lol i hope so if not i will have to give hime £50 and thats all my money gone noooo but u guys seem pretty confident that i will will so what the hell spoke to him b 4 and the race is on not sure when though coz he is working n i am off on holiday till monday now hehe

Clio 1.8 16v

lol oh yeah i bet he has got sum 50bhp n that would be why he has got 190 on the rollers but i will say if he has n e noz then i aint racin lol

My mate used to have a 220gti and spent about 2k on it at motobuild, it was still only just as quick as my standard uno turbo, but i used to out brake him so was still ahead into the round a bouts. Ya should kill it.

if its a gti then you should win but if its a 220 gsi turbo then you will get beat but they dont handle very well as standard so should be ok if around the bends even if it has 190bhp which i dowt very much. the turbos have 198bhp as standard and the gtis only have 140bhp i think but not sure. take him on for nowt and loose on purpose then take him on again for 100quid hehe say you missed a gear.

clio williams, Ph1 172

I dunno about the 220 gti but the 216Gti had 130bhp as standard and they aint slow at all really. I bet the 220 aint that much quicker though as I think the 216 was a honda engine and the 2 litre is probably a K tec lump which are a bit poo I think. Compared with honda engines anyway.

Clio 1.8 16v

i am good at my starts n e way, but the engine is a 2.0 honda lump or so he tells me!!cant believe u are telling me to loose on the 1st race then put the money up on the 2nd n beat him:Dstill got to decide were we are racing 1st!but speaking to him on the phone the other day he raly thinks he is goin to beat me i think every 1 under rates the clio 16v oh well he will soon have his arse kicked:D

The Rover 2.0 is definitely a T-series and its all Rovers own work (as the K-series is).

Theyre actually a very good range of engines and won numerous awards of the sort that Honda is now winning, back in the early 1990s. Very few engines, contrary to popular belief, are Honda engines.

The T-series 2.0 might be rated at an "average" 140bhp, but back in 1992/3 it was more than enough when the competition were generally offering aged 8-valve wheezers with about 110bhp from their 2.0s.

While Renault were reserving their top twin-cam F7P/R engines for the likes of the Clio 16v and Williams, Rover were fitting them into their everyday models. Even the basement 1.4 16vs make 103bhp!! By the early 1990s, only the 1.6s and 2.7 V6s (in the early 800) were Honda units, with the 1.6 fitted to the lower-spec Rover Coupe, early 216 GTi saloon, and a lesser powered one to the cooking 216Si/SLi/GSi.

An early J reg 220 gti actually has the Rover m16 engine, the T series engine was fitted to some of the later ones, but only a few. The engine is a piece of crap! as it is based on the engine designed for the Austin Allegro. Im pretty sure that it only has 137bhp.

The 1.8 and 1.6 litre Rover engines of the time were the K series, these are great engines.

The J reg Rover 220 gti is a misleading car for the driver, it feals very torquey but is actually quite sluggish unitl 4000rpm. It also hasnt got a rev limiter so you can try and make him blow it in a race, and they are quite prone to blowing as the head gasket is poorly designed.

Lee

BMW M2C

If driven hard enough and on a straight bit of road the Rover will certainly give you a run for your money.

I remember early one morning I was heading back from work when I passed a Mk1 Mr2. Quick little cars. He decided to gun it, so of course I did the same. There was absolutely nothing in it. He couldnt gain on me and I couldnt loose him. We got up to !10 before we decided to call it a night. At the next island we waved and went our own separate ways.

Saying the engine was a piece of crap is a little harsh. You are right in that it did feel alot more torquey than it acutally was, but it took a lot of work to get the car moving. In its favour the car was one of the best put together cars Ive owned!! The 200Vi was a positive shed (a fast shed) compared.

When I traded mine in it had done almost 100k miles, and was still fresh as a daisy, that was some time ago, so I doubt your mates is in quite as good nick. Hope hes got plenty of oil too, it liked its oil. A common fault with that engine.

All the 2.0s fitted to the Rover 200 were the 136bhp T-series, which was in use in the late Mk2 Rover 800 from 1989 and was later found in the Rover 200 3-door, Rover 200 Coupe, Rover 200 Mk1 5 door and Rover 400 Mk1 & Mk2.

Ive never heard of an Mi16 engine - apart from the Peugeot/Citroen 2.0 150bhp unit, which was never used in a Rover. The T-series itself owed nothing to Allegro engineering.

Clio 1.8 16v

just put a new rocker cover gasket on 2day n sum new sparks!so his engine should not be the honda 2.0 then?thats why he is saying that he got 190bhp out of his car coz it has got a 2.0 honda engine!!!!how much do these things way?i looked at it 2day and they look a big car compared to my little rocket ship i think i am goin to have him just got this feeling:Dwhat speeds do u think i will win at because his is a 2.0 so he might start gaining at say 100 or sum thin because i have got no idea how long this road is thinks its goin to be the east lancs u should know were it is if u live round manchester or that area.

Lee

BMW M2C

The 220 GTi wasnt much quicker then the Twin Cam 216 GTi due to the weight. Someone else hit the nail on the head with the engine, it was an old Rover unit producing 140bhp stock in the early J plate cars. They were the first of the 220s.

One thing I remember about the Rover was that it wasnt that quick above 80, not as quick as you would expect anyway.

Unless hes done serious work to his car you wont have a problem.

Clio 1.8 16v

hi guys check this out just been on the rover owners club n said what i have said on ere i am goin to be racing a 220 gtin i need sum info n this guy sent me this it realy did make me laugh

If he has got 190bhp i wouldnt bother as you would get your arse whooped.As i
didnt have much trouble staying with a clio 16v in a Metro GTi 16v and i aint
kidding either...clio 16vs are not very quick...iam not saying metros are,
iam just saying clios aint By the way metro was standard so was
clio...straight line race he wernt saying sh*t

craig

Willy2

Metros - where do they hang out! let me at them - piles of sh*te, rusting poo boxes. That Craig needs at slap!

I used to ave a metro GTi 16v.......many moons ago.........(ok we all make mistakes!:oops:)................& it aint no where near as quick as my valver !

Revels Mum & Sister

I have raised a a couple of Metro Gtis. Toasted them both. One had a fair amount of work. Cams and Bored etc!!!

Light and nimble but no match!

what a load of bollo*ks obviously the valver he raced was either a lookalike rt or wasnt racing him or hes just talking bollo*ks. t*at

jaimie