ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rover Metro......VTEC kicked in Yo!

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
So this happened....

Yeah, it Belongs to one of the guys I work with at Mini Spares, it's a bit of a mad max creation, a 1997 Rover Metro, with an Integra Type R engine...

9134601321_eb3abcd722_h.jpg

9134626845_6e0e9219a7_h.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
It would help if the passenger wasnt trying to do a weeks washing by hand at the same time as film.

Its great as a sleeper and i would love a go but i'd feel safer crashing inside a can of coke tbh.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I was expecting it to be a bit quicker than that tbh. Bloke in the car next to it must have just thought it was a 1.0 Metro with a big exhaust.

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
I don't think he was gunning it, on the M25. Right at the end you hear him say, I think there is camera's down here.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Lol. Great concept.

Only problems I foresee (and this is based on previous 114 GTa ownership when I was younger) are the pap handling, and the propensity to fold up easier than a paper bag in an accident.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
A B18'd Metro will piss all over a 182 in a straight line

Any slight corners however and it will be horrific.

Reylands FTW

[youtube]H4xW01kAY2U[/youtube]

I never really 'got' the sleeper thing. Drive around in a s**t looking car hoping other s**t looking cars want a race? If that pulled up next to me at the traffic lights I would ignore it. As he burnt off into the distance I just think - bellend.

BMW 123d/Rover Metro
The 100 I posted a video has an LSD and has been converted to run dampers front and rear, handles really well to be fair.

Lol, this is my car, I have a 182 as a daily, the Metro rapes it in a straight line, dyno'd at 203bhp and 155lbft. The brakes/tyres/suspension all been sorted too. It's just something I built to have fun in and not care if it gets bashed a bit.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
So this happened....

Yeah, it Belongs to one of the guys I work with at Mini Spares, it's a bit of a mad max creation, a 1997 Rover Metro, with an Integra Type R engine...

9134601321_eb3abcd722_h.jpg

Rear arch = f**ked.
This shell will be toast in a couple of months without some proper welding.

If you've gone to the effort to drop that kind of block in it, you could atleast extend the rear sunroof drainage pipes.
Why rover thought them finishing inside the rear arch skins was a good idea i'll never know. :cry:

Be interested to know what suspension set-up it's running though.

Last edited:
Rear arch = f**ked.

If you've gone to the effort to drop that kind of block in it, you could atleast extend the rear sunroof drainage pipes.
Why rover thought them finishing inside the rear arch skins was a good idea i'll never know. :cry:

Gee this is why I don't post much on here, the shell is solid hence why it was chosen for the engine swap, the previous owner welded a new arch in and obviously messed the prep up as the paint has blistered there, It's being fixed soon.

190bhp metro?

a 1.6 clio probably not going to beat it!

bet its actually a cool little car
but video is still pants

Thanks Chip, it does look slow but believe me it goes ok, power to weight is 238, here's a list of similar cars power to weight:

Nissan 300ZX - (180)
Mitsubishi Evo VIII - (199)
Audi RS2 - (201)
Subaru Impreza WRX STi - (207)
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo - (215)
Lotus Elise R - (223)

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
9/10 times, if the outer arch is rusting, the inner arch was long gone.
If it is genuinely a prep issue, and it is just the outer gone due to a paint issue, then fair enough, but that's very rarely the case.

What suspension setup is it running? Coilies up front and individualised hydros at the rear?

It has Watsons coil spring replacement units up front with adjustable dampers, rear is individualised and I have modified new radius arms to accept dampers/coilovers. Has front and rear anti roll bars, poly bushed MGF lower arms (increases camber slightly) but I have a rose jointed set being made to get some more castor. I prefer it to the Clio tbh, the Clio feels more vague due to the power steering imo.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
It should handle well then!
Are your running the standard metro subframe up front, or changed to the MGF one?
I used to have a red band MGF steering rack in my 111sli, never got as far as doing the suspension swap on mine.
There used to be a guy on the Metropower website who was selling coilover rear towers to weld into the rear arches the same as they used in the Metro GTI cup racers.

I'd like to say, my original comment wasn't meant to be as judgmental as it sounded, reading it back, it was a little on the blunt side.
I've actually got a genuine interest in the car (I have a soft spot for metro's and 100's) and I'm looking at getting another myself for a 1.8vvc transplant and full coilover conversion

Yeah it's not too bad, still a work in progress, some people love it some people hate it I couldn't care less tbh I built it for fun and it puts a smile on my face so good enough for me :D I don't mean to come across angry so my apologies if I did. I know the guy on MP, I'll be buying some turrets from him soon but I've just bought some other stainless bits and pieces from him. I'm using the R100 subframe but I might go with an MGF one in future, just waiting for my cage to arrive : )

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
They definitely put a smile on your face.
Mine was only a 1.1 single point injection with a pipercross mushroom filter and Ashley exhaust, all bark, no bite whatsoever!
I'd fitted front and rear arb's from a GTI, GTI skirts and spoiler and the MGF red rack. It used to get thrown all over the place, could get it to hop the backend sideways on roundabouts.

Was a little gutted when it went to the scrap yard tbh

PB Clio 172
I like its its a funny car

I had one years back standard and they are fun and pretty nippy I must say shame the brakes are shite and the way it doesn't handle bends

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Aaah brilliant. Bet that's a right laugh sitting next to the typical yuppies on the road. I would love to fit a B16A2 to my Mk1 mini miglia but can't bring myself to do it unless it was using an Allspeed subframe. The Metty is probably a great place to start with I guess? What with jeff watson using loads of metro stuff to convert minis it must be a pretty straight forward swap.

Oh and if it were me I'd keep the rusty arches!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
The car is probably awesome, but better video needed I think! something to show of its speed from 0 to whatever.

JDM Dc2
Rear arch = f**ked.

Why rover thought them finishing inside the rear arch skins was a good idea i'll never know.

flol

video is grim and sounds like your only revving it to like 7000rpm

bet it bloody shifts

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It has Watsons coil spring replacement units up front with adjustable dampers, rear is individualised and I have modified new radius arms to accept dampers/coilovers. Has front and rear anti roll bars, poly bushed MGF lower arms (increases camber slightly) but I have a rose jointed set being made to get some more castor. I prefer it to the Clio tbh, the Clio feels more vague due to the power steering imo.

Probably due to the fact it's much lighter. Clios are properly heavy lol.

Also better video definitely required.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Turbo it T3 Gav, those engines love it (or better still use the B18c4 instead which is what Im eventually going to be putting in my mk1 clio when I finally get the time)

TTRS & V50
It didn't look 190bhp fast to me though. Maybe I'm just used to more mental sleepers lol.

You can determine how much bhp a car has from how a YouTube video looks ? Skillz.

No car looks quick on You/tube unless it's silly quick or is a speedo video.