ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RUK recall letter received today?

Black 182 FF
loads of mk2 owners are getting them. i think the bonnet ghost has been on the rise again

Funnily enough I was watching a guy across the street (who I don't know to speak to) messing about with his wifes Clio last week and he seemed to be doing something to the bonnet catch, then trying to shut the bonnet, then doing something to the bonnet catch again and it reminded me of the issue.

Never got around to checking mine, though it does have some kind of sticker next to it with something scribbled on, so I kinda assumed it had been looked at :eek:

BG Clio 182
Had the letter arrive Thursday i think, was going to book the car in for a service anyway.

Clio 182
Had a women phone our dealership yesterday saying the bonnet had flipped up on the motorway and smashed the screen, luckily no one was hurt! Best to get it done straight away!

Black 182 FF
*oh and virtually everytime I do something to my car I spray a bit of oil on it and make sure it's moving.

172 Cup
I had mine done last year by the dealer and it was a right pain in the A$$.

They told me they knew nothing about any bonnet recalls and were going to charge me to have it done :mad:

Got on the phone to head offce and it was all done free of charge a week later.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Had a women phone our dealership yesterday saying the bonnet had flipped up on the motorway and smashed the screen, luckily no one was hurt! Best to get it done straight away!

Saw it happen firsthand to a girl in a 172 a few months back. I only glanced round as she passed me on a duel carriageway and bang. I think I was more shocked than her!

Clio 4 :) 306GTI-6
I have literally just purchased my clio so not sure i will get a letter. What year of clio was affected? I have a 02 plate

Audi A5
Basically this letter everyone's getting is just to get you to pop into your dealer so they can check the catch and lubricant or replace it depending on condition.

Yes they did the big recall a while back but they never changed the design they just renewed the catch and now their a couple years old they can start getting corrosion build up and start getting stiff again.

if your worries about your catch I'm sure most dealer won't mind having a look at it for you for free.

Clio 172 ph2
I had mine done by a dealer and they buggered it up good a proper!!! I now have to have someone push down on the bonnet when I pull the release handle... JOKE!!!!

HBT 172 Cup
I had mine done by a dealer and they buggered it up good a proper!!! I now have to have someone push down on the bonnet when I pull the release handle... JOKE!!!!

Loosen the two adjustment bolts, close bonnet, pop bonnet up, tighten bolts, et voila!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I went straight to Renault and got mine done when I bought my car, they said bring it back as many times as you want and they will change it for free.

ph2 172
This is mine. No sticker, no letter. :(
20130210_165629_zps975bc491.gif

Clio DCI
Renault have linked with the DVLA and are sending out letters to all clio II owners.

Basically Renault are checking to see if bonnet catches are going rusty (like above) due to lack of maintenance (lubrication)

2 different letters are being sent out, one letter to cars that have never had the bonnet check before in which case it is a free check and replacement if required. The second letter is going out to cars that have previously have the bonnet check done and replaced. This letter will tell you it is £59 to replace the catch if required or £89 if the lock and catch are required.

You can check to see if your car has been checked before as a blue matrix box should be affixed in the engine bay somewhere (normally on the grille) and the box K4 will have an X in it.

In a nut shell if your catch/lock is rusty it could come open whilst driving and should be replaced. Keep it regularly lubricated.

Black mk3 clio
does anyone know if this is the bonnet catch they are recalling? or if it isn't should i take it to renault anyway as it looks kind of rusty! by the way this is my girlfriends clio lol.
BCxAXaFCAAIsBlI.jpg

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
They look really bad!

heres mine,
FF1E7CE2-980F-472E-9D20-67DD529A7DFF-530-000000E65BD67A12.jpg

im going to take it to be done, i presume they will give an invoice of some sort to say it has been done which will add to the history file i keep for the car.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
what was actually up with these catches?
mines takes 2 people to open it, one to pull the catch under the dash and one to lift from outside, which is even more embarrasing if you've broken down on your own!

Renault Clio MK4 RS
what was actually up with these catches?
mines takes 2 people to open it, one to pull the catch under the dash and one to lift from outside, which is even more embarrasing if you've broken down on your own!

Mine used to do this! I just used some engine degreaser and got rid of all the crap off it along with where the cable goes to release the bonnet and it works great now :) But i would like to know if my car is due a new catch! mines all rusted and crappy!

Black mk3 clio
Would my girlfriend need the recall letter to have it done or is it a case of just going down there and asking them about it?
Also just to make sure this is for all MK2 clios, including non sports? and if the recall work has been done, any way to tell if it has?

Elise 111r, 182 FF
Do we know which models it affects and the year range? Is it all 172/182's or only selected years affected?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
If anyone is concerned about their catch, just call up and/or book in. It won't cost you any money to have it checked out.

Elise 111r, 182 FF
Just spoke to them and they've informed me mines not on the recall list ('55 plate 182). He said they could be done in batches, but as he can see its not due anything...

BG V6 IL V6 172cup
I had one come through on my 182 05plate as a royal mail signed for letter, not had one on the vee yet.

So took the opportunity and went to SMC Aldershot said that would replace the mechanism on the bonnet. After half hour went by they came out and said they have replaced both parts top and bottom section wasnot going to argue it was for free. Looks much better now no rust!

Had a look round the Clio 4 when there, its growing on me!

http://
SAM_0775.jpg

http://
SAM_0780.jpg

Renault Clio MK4 RS
Just got off the phone with them. He said i get a free check on the bonnet catch so ive been booked in for that. whilst haggling i managed to get a free health check on the car, free wash and wax and a courtesy car for free for the 3 hours they have mine! Bonus! :D

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Just got off the phone with them. He said i get a free check on the bonnet catch so ive been booked in for that. whilst haggling i managed to get a free health check on the car, free wash and wax and a courtesy car for free for the 3 hours they have mine! Bonus! :D

Free wash = free swirl and scratch!

wouldnt let them, i took mine in years ago for a check on the wiper washers when it was in warranty, it was gleaming when i took it in yet the numptys washed it?!?! I could see light scratches all over it, was fuming tbh.

and btw, that free health check will be guaranteed to = to a list of things that need fixing.

Renault Clio MK4 RS
i said to him i wont be paying for anything on the day and he said yes that is fine we will just let you know if anything is an issue on the car and i was like thats ok then :)

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I rang the canterbury branch and they told me my car didnt exist and it must have a private plate on?!?
I pointed out they've had it for electrical work and 2 mots and a service with the current, original plate and all of a sudden its been in for 4 recalls?!?

What else was recalled on the ph2 172's?