ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running in fresh build engine

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
So the time has come to bed in my freshly built f4r turbo, question is do I run any boost? I'm aware of the bedding in durations, mineral oil etc but do I run any boost and how much and at which point in the bedding in process?

Oh and Fred, sorry I can't bring myself to kick the living s#&t out of it once upto temp lol

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't for the first few miles, then gradually dial some in.

i ran my f7r turbo in with no turbo, yet to drive it with a turbo lol

I was running mine in this week. Asda's oil, varied load up to 4.5 k up to 3/4 throttle, so was seeing .1-0.3Bar of boost. lots of over run. 25 miles, drop the oil, new decent oil in, and I've been out mapping it this evening inc WOT.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Jaff- I was thinking similar, didn't want to put any boost through for the initial 400miles

dan- lol, you don't mess around!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
you can run in an engine (bed in the rings) in an hour or so on the dyno. Nothing more is needed apart from oil changes to flush out assembly greases and swarf, and a basic spanner check

Trophy Turbo :)
So many different ways or personal opinions.

Mine.

Mineral. Start get to temp. Drop.

Change filter and oil.

Mineral drive 50 miles with loads od vacume and small boosr to 4500rpm... no WOT.

Drop oil for semi run for 400 miles. More throttle and 5800 rpm vacume

Drop and them correct oil away u go.

Sounds like a ***** on but I want my engines to last and not use oil

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Mine.

Change filter and oil.

Mineral drive 50 miles with loads od vacume and small boosr to 4500rpm... no WOT.

Thats what I do as well, varied road through the whole process and start with less boost to give the rings a chance to bed in, if you force too much boost into them too early on then you risk scorching the rings.

PH1 loads of boost!

Mine.

Change filter and oil.

Exactly this. So you put the engine under a bit of load but not 100% and get loads of different heat cycles through it to help bed the rings in properly.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Exactly this. So you put the engine under a bit of load but not 100% and get loads of different heat cycles through it to help bed the rings in properly.

Indeed, if you want long ring life its important not to force too much hot air pass them before they are sealing well.

Trouble is a lot of people read about modern motorbikes with totally different honing techniques and think it applies to a car done with something like a basic flexhone as well.