ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

running in the 182

how its recomended to do it? wat is the best way to do that?

i heard that if u dont run in ur engine properly...u can loose some hp.. is that true? how have u done with urs?

thrash the b****cks off it, lets face it... when you come to sell it, its some other mug that is going to have the problems that go with not running in correctly

i only say what others are thinking ;)

im correct though arnt i ? ;)

how many people buy news cars and run them in correctly ? not bloody many ! certainly not if you know youre only going to keep it a few months and then get something else. Yeah, i know the people who "love" their cars are going to be right anoraks about it and do it to the letter, but who actually gives a toss if youre not going to keep it ?

I know its not very PC to say what ive just said, and im sure its going to get a few do-gooders frothing at the mouth, but its true, and the truth often hurts ;)

Best bed the engine in hard the first 20 miles are the important ones. A few % of the power can be lost here as the rings need to hone and be put inder some laod otherwise blowly the piston will happen. Its like starting a new job and then giving you no work to do for the first few days youll not be as fast doing jobs when you get them as you have a laid back idea of work

You need to get the engine warm quick and get the engine to the redline then foot of the gas and let it decelerate on its own ie no brakes.

Then repete this a few more times.

The brakes need to be bedding in as well so accelerate hard and slam on a few time till the car is slowed to walking pace (dont fully stop the car) this beds the pads into the disks.

I bedded mine in quite hard hitting the equivalent of about 5.5k in the first few miles for a 172. In under 100 miles Id done a few top speed runs.

Quote: Originally posted by tri3 on 12 April 2004

how its recomended to do it? wat is the best way to do that?

i heard that if u dont run in ur engine properly...u can loose some hp.. is that true? how have u done with urs?
drive for 350 miles , turn round, come back .sorted ;)

182 Spiced

what does reno actually say about the car being run in, if anything?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

renault say, get out of the car, push it down a hill, and run after it, or something like that. (im pretty sure thats what it says in the renault manual)

Mr2 Roadster

Not worth runnng after it... Let it go and hit a wall. Get a new car, something German instead!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

Quote: Originally posted by Gaz2130 on 13 April 2004

renault say, get out of the car, push it down a hill, and run after it, or something like that. (im pretty sure thats what it says in the renault manual)
lol. Sounds about right.

OMG, that really is bad!

Made me chuckle though!

Engines arent as fussy with run in these days because machining tolerances are much better and the quality of finish is better. However, dont give it too much abuse because you might strip the main and/or little end bearings.

Huw

Just run mine in over w/end, stuck to around 3500/750 (cos this is around 80 on motorway) gave it the odd blast to around 4000. All seems ok engine still loosening up all the time (sounding good to:) )

Picked up car last night. Thought I would put on the 1000km/625 miles in 1 go.

Drove from Heathrow to Lands End. Done.

Not bad for fuel concidering I had a V6 before, 38mpg @ 70 with cruise control on.

but does anyone know how it SHOULD BE DONE??? :D

im soon getting a 182... and i dont want to lose some bhp during the running period... i guess that thats why there are bad and good 172...

i guess it depends on the way that it was runned in...