ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

running rough after new dephaser

RS 182
had my depasher done as a warrenty repair from a garage I bought the car from, he has garage that carries out his repairs horwich tuning centre, so couldn't choose where I had it done.

spoke to the garage before I took it up to make sure they knew what they were doing, they have done quite a few he said and had all correct locking tools, he showed me them before he did the work,

picked the car up seemed ok went to a carpark nearby and it was jerking at slow speed and really lumpy idling, took it back to them he hooked it up to the computer no faults, he then set the timing tools up again and rechecked all is fine, he said hes never missed timed one yet, but its still the same.

he said the ecu may have remember the values from when the dephaser was knackered,as he said its been going awhile, he said to disconnect it over night see if it resets but this hasn't helped, he said give it a week see if it clears up, its been 4 days but no improvement

any ideas what else it could be?

cheers lee

RS 182
yeah replaced them aswell said he wouldn't do it anyother way as they had covered 40k from the stamps in the book

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Almost certainly cam timing wrong I would say for it be behaving like that just after swapping the dephasor/belts

:(

RS 182
that's what I said to him so he rechecked it a second time, hes adamant its not, other than the rough running it is running better, got 50mpg on the same run on motorwat with knackered dephaser was only getting 30mpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Sounds daft, but make sure the plug leads are on the plugs and the coil pack properly. The whole lot would have been removed so it's a possibility.

RS 182
will check leads etc,

yeah was there for hours mate, had my 2 little uns with me so felt like days lol, he took me in to show me the tools set up on the engine again

cheers

dan's cast offs.
logically it can only be either plug leads wrong way or mistimed, have seen a couple that haven't had the crank locked properly.

RS 182
disconnected battery again, checked plugs all ok, also took the throttle body off and gave it a clean, still the same no improvement, should the butterfly be slightly open when not in use? or closed flush? as mine seems to be open by a mil or 2

cheers lee

dan's cast offs.
my money is still on static timing. did you notice if he used a screw in or push in for locking the crank?

RS 182
think it the timing myself but not sure what my options are now with them adamant the timings right, and the car being fixed by the garage I bought it from, ive only had it 3 weeks and with them supposed to be paying to fix it,

cheers lee

dan's cast offs.
i'd say your'e just going to have to bite the bullet and get it checked by someone else. am sure you'll find someone closer but as i'm a nice chap if you want to run it over to me i'll check it for you as long as you get me a bacon butty;)

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
i'd say your'e just going to have to bite the bullet and get it checked by someone else. am sure you'll find someone closer but as i'm a nice chap if you want to run it over to me i'll check it for you as long as you get me a bacon butty;)

Top bloke! !!

RS 182

thanks for the offer mate, that would be great

when would be best?

cheers lee

RS 182
spoke to the garage he said it did flag up something about throttle control *he cant remember exactly off the top of his head* but he was saying its prob the throttle body and he was going to see about replacing it, if the problem hadn't gone by today, could this be a possibility?

cheers lee