ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ's next Ph1 - 172 Exclusive

53 Clio's & counting
Ok I will admit I have a problem :eek:

After going through:

Mk1 RSi
Mk1 16v
Mk1 16v
Mk1 16v hybrid
Ph1 172 (My itb'd black one)
Ph2 182 LY
Ph1 172
Ph1 172 Exclusive
Duf (Willy 2) - Which I still have currently
RB 182 (Sales car, mind)

I now have another Exclusive lol.

This one I took in part exchange, but I'm going to hold onto it.

Some of you will probably recognise it, as I believe it has been owned by 3 CS'ers and is a good spec:

2001 172 Exclusive
71,000 miles
No Exclusive number - I believe the car is an import (reg document says it was first registered in the UK in 2004, though it has an alarm, which is rare for 172 imports I believe?)

Engine

Remapped with RS tuner
Ph1 airbox with uprated filter
Ktec mild steel stealth exhaust system with decat (I have the cat, this will be going back on)
Green Samco coolant hoses
Bailley polished coolant bottle
Polished inlet manifold
Polished fuel rail cover
Vibrotech solid engine mounts
Powerflex dog bone poly bushes

Interior

Alpine CD head unit
Genesis 2 channel amp
Uprated door speakers being powered by a Genesis 2 channel amp
Fully stripped
6 point 3inch harness's
Corbeau pro series buckets
Omp 330mm suede wheel and boss kit
Rear wiper assembly removed

Suspension

Gaz height and damping adjustable coilovers
Front strut brace
Powder coated wishbones with Powerflex bushes
Powerflex anti-roll bar bushes
Whiteline rear arb kit
-2 degree rear camber shims

Brakes

Fronts have Brembo HC's and DS2500 pads
Standard rears (renewed last month)
S/S brake hoses
Brake fluid changed to 5.1

Wheels

Refurbished OZ Super-T in 16", powdercoated in grey
Toyo T1R tyres

It doesn't owe me very much as it has come with an engine rattle, which is a shame as I can tell it has been very well looked after by it's previous owners.

It seems to have a rattle/tap on light throttle, but very little on load and nothing off throttle, which I think may be internal damage - possibly a bit of oil starvation has damaged a bearing shell - not sure at the moment, so when I get time I will have a better look but to be honest with how cheap F4R's are now I think I will just chuck another engine in it.

Apart from the engine noise, it drives fantastic and is very much like a go kart - the front end is so tight and responds to the smallest steering inputs - very good fun! :D

I haven't made many plans for it as yet, as said I will most likely have another engine in it, and then strip this one and see what the damage is, I will be removing the polished inelts and fuel rail cover, and will be fitting my spare set of inlets I have (Though I will match them before fitting)

The stainless header tank will be swapped for a standard one, and the strut brace will be coming off too, and I will be looking for some 15 inch alloys to replace the 16's that are on it at the moment.

The Apline head unit might be going as it looks far too complicated for me :S

The interior will be tidied up, the glue/sound proofing removed and the seats will be moved to a more comfortable position for me, and I will keep an eye out for a cheap cage - I may also fit a 172 cup gearbox - apart from that I will just be tracking it and thoroughly enjoying it :D

2012-06-16140441.jpg

2012-06-16140455.jpg

2012-06-16140522.jpg

2012-06-16140533.jpg

2012-06-16140507.jpg

101_0732.jpg

2012-06-16140623.jpg

53 Clio's & counting
Yes matey, pleasure meeting you too, I hope you enjoy the S3! (PS, as you can see, I made it home lol)

clio sport
lmao yep im glad u got home its a good car ,and does handle very very well u will have plenty of fun on track haha

clio sport
lmao yep im glad u got home its a good car ,and does handle very very well u will have plenty of fun on track haha

clio 172 ph1,golf v5
Do you fancy swapping your solid engine mounts for my standard ones? Only thinking of you and those nasty vibrations;)

53 Clio's & counting
Shhh you lol, must come and have a nosey around my old car now it's a race car ;)

Just had a spare 10 minutes so thought id whip the plus out ready to bring my mini cam home from work to have a nosey in the cylinders, and this is what the plugs look like:

2012-06-17173138.jpg

the two plugs closest the gearbox side are completely missing their tips :S

as you can see there has also been some water in the plug holes at some point as they are pretty rusty

53 Clio's & counting
sweet, just drop me a text dude :)

Need to find a cheap set of plugs to chuck in, f**k putting those back in

53 Clio's & counting
Thanks dude, It's a little too low for road use, and I much prefere 15's to 16's, but it's a really tidy car, and with a bit of tidying up it will be a perfect and cheap little toy :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its weird that phase 1's seem to suit 15s better and yet most phase2 cars (unless very low) seem to look better on 16s.

53 Clio's & counting
Very true mate, id like a set of Pro race 1.2's for it really, but budget won't allow me lol so il see what I can sell these ones for then see whats about then.

Started taking the shiney stuff off, strut brace is all but off as it was getting in my way lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Got pradas but barely legal, assumed you would be putting trackday type ones on though TBH

I'll get some pics when they are clean, they are almost black at the moment, lol

I also need to check the mrs doesnt mind, as I kind of made that offer without checking, lol

53 Clio's & counting
lol no problem fella, id want to spray them black - im in no rush mind, as I really should be sorting the engine out first really lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
ok mate, well let me know when you are done with all that stuff and perhaps we can sort something out.

Russ it belonged to a lad up in sunderland a couple of years back who had it for a while cnt remember his name though, still looks a tidy example. As for not having an i.d number some didnt get them as more than 172 exclusives escaped from the factory so they couldnt have number on.

53 Clio's & counting
ok mate, well let me know when you are done with all that stuff and perhaps we can sort something out.

Cheers mate, 1.2's are exactly what I am after - really suit this one well as it had them for track wheels when the previous owner had it

Russ it belonged to a lad up in sunderland a couple of years back who had it for a while cnt remember his name though, still looks a tidy example. As for not having an i.d number some didnt get them as more than 172 exclusives escaped from the factory so they couldnt have number on.

Cheers Craig, it is quite tidy bar a few stone chips onthe front :) Yeah I know a few more made it out, but it's more the fact it's first registration in the UK was 2004, so im assuming it spent 3 years somewhere else lol - Will have to see if I can find out

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheers mate, 1.2's are exactly what I am after - really suit this one well as it had them for track wheels when the previous owner had it

Yeah they do look good.

I think I might have some 1s some where as well, the slightly squarer ones than the 1.2.

clio 172 ph1,golf v5
I got a spare set you can have russ in fact I think you gave them to me! There Ngk r Pfr6e. I'm off on holiday a bit but I'll leave them in the race car on the drive if you wanna pop round and get em.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I got a spare set you can have russ in fact I think you gave them to me! There Ngk r Pfr6e. I'm off on holiday a bit but I'll leave them in the race car on the drive if you wanna pop round and get em.

Until I got to the NGK bit of that, I was thinking it was a very generous offer, lol

53 Clio's & counting
Not great pictures, but as said earlier I stole our super snoopy thing from work (Technical name there ;) ) and had a look inside the plug holes.

This is what the 2 pistons gearbox side look like:

2012-06-18184640.jpg

2012-06-18184620.jpg

To be honest the other two are not much better either.

I used the mirror adapter to have a look at the valves, and also looked down the lower inlet and the valves look a nice light brown colour, so im guessing it has a ring problem, I will know for sure once it's out the car and I have time to strip it down properly :)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Russ swap seats with you got some nice renault sport branded ones!