ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Safety devices help

172 RaceCar, VW-T5
Hey all,

I mocked up the cage in the car today to see how it all fits together.

I'm not really sure how I should mount the rear feet of the cage though, I'm hoping to race I'm tarc production series this year so I need to ensure the car complies with the msa blue book.

Does this plate (in the picture) sit outside the car? Or do I need to open up the holes to allow the captive nuts to pass through and then get my welder to weld this plate to the arch?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Alex

13490783474_77073af14d_m.jpg

image by alexanderrobertjames, on Flickr

Last edited:
  172 RaceCar, VW-T5
The more I think about this, it makes more sense in my head that this plate sits in the wheel arch and the plate on the cage leg just fits onto the shell so it's like this (cage | shell | plate).

Anyone know?

172 RaceCar, VW-T5
Great thanks :)

so there is no spreader plate that sits between the cage and shell?

and I'm guessing that plate doesn't need welding in the wheel arch?

Cheers
Alex

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
No spreader plate, as you say it is the cage foot then the wheel arch and then the fixing plate inside the arch with the nuts towards the wheel.
The feet on the cage will form to the arch shape when tightened up.

172 Cup
Wouldn't you usually have the bolt head in the wheel arch and the nut on the inside of the car so any excess thread from the bolt is on the inside of the car and not sticking out in the arch.

172 RaceCar, VW-T5
I did think that, but with these plates I can't see how you could.

i guess you could run the bolt through the captive nut first and stick a nyloc on the inside but that defeats the point of the captive nut...

If you cut the bolt down to size so it's flush to the captive nut once tightened you'd have no extra thread to catch the tyre. It would be exactly the same amount protruding as the nut

Sometimes scrutineers get funny about the thread being flush, but you could just put some weld on the end? This would stop it coming undone then

Just my thoughts :)