ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SATNAV Athermic Windscreen fix for CLIOS

As you all know Clios most if not all have an athermic windscreens that block out GPS signals.

Now you can place your SATNAV at the bottom/middle of the windscreen which is not athermic. which is fine unless you have a large sized SATNAV and cradle or run TWO GPS items like ROAD ANGEL & SATNAV. (like me)

So I have created this guide, as I believe its the most reliable, quickest, cheapest and less hassle way of a "cure" to run 2 GPS items; OR if you just want your SATNAV in a better location. (imo) and it involves NO tools or NO panels, dash or items to be removed.

*This guide is for the Garmin i3 SATNAV but CAN be used for your own SATNAV with correct antenna!!

Problem...
Unable to run my sat nav AND road angel due to athermic windscreen.

Car...
Renaultsport Clio 182

Items owned...
Garmin i3 SATNAV , Roadangel 2.

Tools Required...
NONE!! ;)

Firstly you will need to purchase a SATNAV antenna thats suitable for YOUR equipment. these will normally cost you between £7 and £30 dependant on your unit. I chose the offical GARMIN external antenna (GA25 MCX) which cost me £15. these can be baought from any good car electronic shops. this has the MCX connector which most SATNAVS have. luckily this is also the same as the ROAD ANGEL 2 so I could use it for that as well.

ga25_mcx.jpg

Right, here we go. Firstly place the antenna part here. just to the right of the back seat. I'm using double sided tape for this, Ive used closure plate tape I get from work, this is sticky to hold it, but is designed to be removed with no marks left. (im looking at alternative ways of securing)

satnavfix001b.jpg

a closer view.

satnavfix001.jpg

Running the cable..

all you need are the tips of your fingers. this is where the build quality of the Clio comes into its own (lol) use the tip of your fingers to gently push the cable behind the plastic trim and the window.

satnavfix002.jpg

Carry this trend on BEHIND the seat belt then down underneath the door rubber as pointed. again, only fingers needed.

satnavfix003.jpg

satnavfix003a.jpg

And along the bottom door seal.

satnavfix004.jpg

Carry on up the seal toward the front...

satnavfix005.jpg

and then up between the side of the dash and the door seal... coming out about an inch as shown.

satnavfix006.jpg

and then simply plug the antenna into your SATNAV as shown.....

satnavfix010.jpg

The result.....

satnavfix010a.jpg

I've got pretty much a FULL signal all the time. I fitted this 4 weeks ago and its never dropped below 4 bars. and when you dont want to use your SATNAV just fold the cable back out the way.... like so... and remove your equipment.

satnavfix008.jpg

Hope this helps someone. Any questions, ask me.

regards.

Nebdingo

Last edited:
  106 GTi
Nice guide, done the same for my RA2 - But If you get a 5m cable one you can also sit if on the rear shelf and secure with a cable tie to save having to stick it down

ra-2.jpg

My TomTom 1 Works through the front screen fine though for some reason in the same postion as you have your Garmin.

I used my mums garmin i3 yesterday, it was utter rubbish - it just kept saying 'locating satellites' so I ended up driving home using my own navigation - looking at the road signs :eek:

Thing is it worked the other day when I used in the same place on the screen (in the little rectangle)
The problems i've got is that... a, it's not my system so I can't wire the antenna in like you have & b, errr - no back seats just engine.

Is there any way of wiring the antenna up somewhere else ?? So it can easily be un installed (she's got the garmin antenna as she had problems with the signal of the system in her focus)

Or do I need to invest in my own one:dapprove: like a tom tom - which apparently according to a few people, works anywhere you put it on the windscreen.

My Garmin Nuvi works fine throught the windscreen of my Clio although my car is poverty spec, im not sure whether I have a athermic windscreen or not!
It also works through the screen of my dad's 04 Audi A6, which must have a athermic screen.

you may know it, clio?
well done mate

i wouldnt of thought of that... it would of been sold and i would of been very anoyd because i wouldnt know where to go!

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Good job, :approve:

For anyone not wishing to go to the trouble of running a cable all the way to the back of the car, you can mount the GPS antenna in the centre of the dash just below the clear area in the athermic screen.

This will give the same results but you will have to hide a lot of cable, if you buy an antenna with a 5mtr long coax.

^
i'll give that a try, i'll just shove the excess cable in the glove box, proper bodge job style.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
dont buy the one from maplin as it comes loose only buy official garmin one, as it joins the satnav on the side with a good quality connector unlike the amplin one

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Most new Sat nav's use the better 'SiRFstarIII chipset' this will get signal through the screen with only slight drop of signal.

Older sat nav's will maybe get reduced signal through the screen if your lucky but if you drive in a city or any area where signal is interupted it will be unusable.

I have mine in the back window on a little sucker mount.

Clio V6 MK I, Megane DCi
Most new Sat nav's use the better 'SiRFstarIII chipset' this will get signal through the screen with only slight drop of signal.

Older sat nav's will maybe get reduced signal through the screen if your lucky but if you drive in a city or any area where signal is interupted it will be unusable.

I concur, using my old TomTom Go 700, I had to have a hard wired aerial in my V6, using the TomTom One with the SiRF Star III chipset it just works, wherever I put it on the windscreen.

Clio 172
Same, my TomTomOne has 5/5 signal all the time no matter where it is. Good write up though

BMW M3
My Tomtom works fine with my window but i needed an extra one for my Road Angel 2.

I put it here out of sight and worked 100%

DSC00487.jpg